Choose style:

Author Topic: Why pyshot?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
Why pyshot?
« on: August 08, 2015, 02:44:46 pm »
Just curious why pyshot continues to be used instead of something more robust such as xfce4-screenshooter? It doesn't seem like pyshot is maintained anymore and lacks the ability to select an area or window. Obviously it was easy enough for me to replace but it seems like an under-powered tool for a new user. Even the keyboard shortcuts are mapped to scrot and not pyshot. If Peppermint were to use xfce4-screenshooter alone to replace both pyshot and scrot you would only be using about 1 MB more of disk space and have more functionality from a single program.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Why pyshot?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 02:52:21 pm »
Pyshot is small, simple and it works.  XFCE4-Screenshooter requires the installation of XFCE4-Panel.  Peppermint uses LXPanel, so there's no good reason to include a program by default that requires a second panel.  I'd assume those are the main reasons.

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 02:57:40 pm »
Pyshot is small, simple and it works.  XFCE4-Screenshooter requires the installation of XFCE4-Panel.  Peppermint uses LXPanel, so there's no good reason to include a program by default that requires a second panel.  I'd assume those are the main reasons.

Xfce4-panel is only recommended but not needed for xfce4-screenshooter to work. :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 03:04:49 pm »
Tell that to APT, because, using the terminal or Synaptic, XFCE4-Screenshooter won't install without XFCE4-Panel.  If you mark XFCE4-Screenshooter for installation in Synaptic, it marks XFCE4-Panel too.  If you then unmark XFCE4-Panel, it unmarks XFCE4-Screenshooter.  I know, there are other ways to install the screenshot program, but that's what I'm getting just trying to install it using APT.

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 03:29:45 pm »
You can use the following:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install xfce4-screenshooter
You can also change /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic to make it permanent:

Code: [Select]
APT::Install-Recommends "false"
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:31:17 pm by configX »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 04:04:10 pm »
I'm happy to consider it if people prefer it ?

Though keeping the ISO under 700MB (at least for the 32bit version) is becoming harder to do of late, so 1MB may not seem much when considered in isolation but could be the final straw that pushes us from CD to DVD
(should this even be considered important any more ?)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 04:08:07 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 04:12:28 pm »

Hi PCNetSpec,

If someone wants it, then they can install it using the method configX describes. But by looking at the descriptions I've found for XFCE4-Screenshooter I fail to find any really significant additional functionality that I personally need or even might like to have compared to scrot.

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 04:48:15 pm »

Hi PCNetSpec,

If someone wants it, then they can install it using the method configX describes. But by looking at the descriptions I've found for XFCE4-Screenshooter I fail to find any really significant additional functionality that I personally need or even might like to have compared to scrot.

Regards,

-- Slim

I agree with Slim.  It's simple enough for the end user to install anything they want and remove anything they don't.  What you're giving them is a base from which they can customize their own installation.  If you start adding things by popular demand, you'll lose control of things rather quickly.

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 04:50:45 pm »
Does SMF have the ability to create polls? Honestly a screenshot utility is not a major factor when deciding on a distro but it does come in handy. I was surprised when I tried to take a screenshot of a window in Peppermint with pyshot and it didn't have the option. Basically if a new user (or anyone) wants to take a screenshot to show an error or problem, they need to know keyboard shortcut for scrot or capture their entire desktop and edit it in Gimp or similar tool. I'm not opposed to another screenshot other than xfce4-screenshooter as long as it can capture regions and windows. To Slim.Fatz point, users can always install something else but some people don't know that better options exist until they have it. My suggestion is to not include every piece of software that people want, but to choose the best one if better options exist as long as it stays true to Peppermint's goals.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 05:09:01 pm »
ALT+Print Screen takes a screenshot of a window.  It will save somewhere on your computer (default: Desktop) as "Windowshot_date_time.png"

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 05:18:14 pm »
I think you may have missed my point.  ;)

I don't have a print screen button on my netbook. It was easy enough to change the key binding. But what's the keyboard shortcut for capturing a rectangular region?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 05:23:06 pm »
You're right, I completely missed your point.   :-[

I don't even know if you can do that.  I always just edit them in GIMP, so I'm the wrong person to ask.  Sorry.

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 05:29:54 pm »
Not need to apologize. :)

I know that Peppermint aims to be nimble while also intuitive. Having to use a separate program to crop screenshots doesn't seem intuitive. To each their own though. Using pyshot is not an issue for me, I was mostly curious about the rationale for choosing it over other options. If everyone likes it the way it is then I can't complain - you've been here longer than me.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 05:35:20 pm »
See, I'm an amateur artist, so I have all kinds of art software like GIMP, Inkscape, Blender, etc. installed.  So, taking an image to another program and cropping it or making other changes is second nature to me, it doesn't even feel like work or an inconvenience.  But, I can see where other people might find it a bit of a pill.

You have every right to complain.  Time of use has nothing to do with it.  I'm sure, if enough people wanted it, the screenshot program could easily be changed for the next release.  Popular vote has led to different image viewing programs, media players and other things.  This may be something Mark (PCNetSpec) could put to a vote before the next release, if he felt so inclined.  As you say, I'm sure SMF has a poll option.  If not, there are free poll hosting sites.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 05:38:12 pm »
Sure SMF can do polls, but currently only moderators and admin can set them.

Personally I don't find them useful for this kind of decision because they tend not to give the reasoning behind peoples choice .. is it just lack of knowledge about the keyboard shortcuts where it may be better to just advertise the shortcuts better, or is their choice coming from a position of knowledge (such as is there a call for a selectable area over familiarity)

We're always open to "reasoned" suggestions for improvement, so I'd be happy to hear peoples thoughts :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec