Choose style:

Author Topic: Win-10: making it easy for NSA  (Read 6183 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Re: Win-10: making it easy for NSA
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 03:44:03 pm »
Hi everyone,

As some of you predicted (click link to read the story at arstechnica.com):

Microsoft accused of adding spy features to Windows 7, 8
Good call !!  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 04:00:41 pm »
Yeah, it was only a matter of time.  Basically, M$ is saying:  "Oh, you want to still run Windows 7 or 8 instead of upgrading to Windows 10?  Well, take this!"

::)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 04:53:11 pm »
Yeah, it was only a matter of time.  Basically, M$ is saying:  "Oh, you want to still run Windows 7 or 8 instead of upgrading to Windows 10?  Well, take this!"

::)

Exactly.  I can't remember who said it here, but Microsoft is sure not giving away Windows 10 for free for nothing!  ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 05:21:27 pm »
Exactly.  I can't remember who said it here, but Microsoft is sure not giving away Windows 10 for free for nothing!  ;)

Several of us have said that, but I'm thinking Andy or Mark were the first.  Either way, it's a sentiment shared by many of us.  There's a catch.  With M$, there's always a catch.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 10:12:54 am »
There's a catch.  With M$, there's always a catch.

Not according to this ridiculous story from Softpedia News. For the author, you just can't beat Micro$oft when it comes to OS excellence.

:P

Regards,

-- Slim

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 10:35:31 am »
Yeah I'm starting to see a lot of articles and comments around that suggest Windows 10 "spying" has been blow out of proportion because it can all be disabled. Seemingly ignoring the facts:-

a) Their agreement actually states you're AGREEING to things like "we can read your emails" (even encrypted ones) .. why would they need to get you to agree to that if it's optional ?

b) There's PLENTY of REAL WORLD evidence that it's still sending data back to MS no matter what settings you choose.

c) I can 100% attest to the fact that when you disable some of the settings, then reboot, they mysteriously re-enable themselves

there are people (like ArashJ in the comments section of your link) making ridiculous claims about what data is being sent or not sent (kinda anti-FUD, when there's real cause for FUD) .. the truth is NOBODY KNOWS what is being sent back to Microsoft, the data stream it's encrypted .. all we know for sure is the agreement that allows them TOTALLY unfettered access is still in place, and data is being sent no matter what privacy settings you choose.

I've also seen it put about that simply using the hosts file to stop the data stream to microsofts servers will stop it .. there is no clear evidence of this one way or the other:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/213183-once-more-with-tracking-microsoft-backports-privacy-invading-windows-10-features-to-windows-7-8
suggests it does NOT block the traffic, other sites say it does .. but in either case, Windows updates no longer tell you what's being changed and they could easily add new server IP's or install a protocol that ignores the hosts file, and remember, you've already agreed that it's OK for them to do this......

Really, it simply boils down to "in light of the new agreement, do you trust Microsoft" ? .. make up your own mind, don't just listen to me, and specially to people like ArashJ who are just making stuff up as they go .. whilst that agreement is in place, it will ALWAYS boil down to TRUST.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:34:59 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 11:52:18 am »
Really, it simply boils down to "in light of the new agreement, do you trust Microsoft" ? .. make up your own mind, don't just listen to me, and specially to people like ArashJ who are just making stuff up as they go .. whilst that agreement is in place, it will ALWAYS boil down to TRUST.

And if you TRUST Micro$oft? Well, then send me US $5000 (I will also take Euros or Pounds or Canadian $ or ...) and I can invest your money so that you get approx. (conservatively calculated, of course) double your investment back within 6 months!!  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 12:04:00 pm »
Those people trying to justify it by saying it "optional" crack me up.  Whatever fairy tales they tell themselves, it's not friggin' optional. Like Mark said, if it was, you wouldn't have to agree to let them have your data just to use their stuff.  Those people just have their heads in the sand and think that anything Microsoft releases is pure gold.  Like hell.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 12:44:32 pm »
The thing that points to their guilt more than anything.....

Microsoft are leaving it to idiots like ArashJ to defend them .. they could quite easily/quickly have squashed all this, yet they remain silent and the agreement remains in place and unchanged.

Their silence speaks volumes to me .. if they truly weren't spying on you, they'd have put a stop to this IMMEDIATELY with at least a statement to that effect .. yet they don't want to be caught in a lie, so they remain silent and wait for their users to go back to posting cats on Facebook and for it to become "yesterdays news".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:48:46 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2015, 12:51:15 pm »
I like some of the responses to ArashJ's post, like the person with the username boooo!!!

You are using the same "100 million smokers can't be wrong!" argument.

To me the question is not so much about "privacy" as it is about the lack of control. Sure, you can change all the settings, but it has become very tedious. I don't want to spend hours reading tutorials and downloading 3rd party software to have my operating system behave the way it should behave by default.

That right there speaks to the heart of the matter.  But, of course, the person known as ArashJ didn't want to hear it.   ::)  He/she either works for Microsoft or is just one of the sheep who thinks Microsoft is flawless.  For all we know, that is the official answer from Microsoft and they're just posting it as "anonymous" users to make it sound more genuine than if it came from them.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:53:09 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 12:54:04 pm »
What if, the setting where you allow or disallow the spy features actually does nothing? And you could not turn it off?

How would you know they where in fact spying on you?

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 12:59:43 pm »
What if, the setting where you allow or disallow the spy features actually does nothing? And you could not turn it off?

How would you know they where in fact spying on you?

And that right there is the biggest issue.  Just because there's a "setting" for that doesn't mean it does anything.  You really don't know what all is being sent back to the NSA Microsoft because, as Mark said, the data stream is being encrypted.  And, let's face it, when your computer is connected to the Internet, it's a two way street.  You're receiving data, but data is also being sent.  In that data could be stuff going back to M$.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 01:24:13 pm »
It's simple .. the very existence of that agreement proves you should be if not 'worried' then 'aware' .. to deny that Microsoft are collecting data is just plain ignorant,

THEY'VE SAID THEY ARE

for <deity> sake ::)

Me, I'll go with 'worried'.
(or not :) )
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:29:57 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2015, 01:38:02 pm »