Choose style:

Author Topic: Win-10: making it easy for NSA  (Read 6162 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Win-10: making it easy for NSA
« on: August 07, 2015, 04:09:05 am »
Hi everyone,

In case you have not seen this report about how Windows 10 spies on EVERYTHING you do.

So when are you going to install the new "free" version of the "best operating system ever built"?

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
Re: Win-10: making it easy for NSA
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:31:29 am »
It is a shame they are going this way with their software.

Spyware built into your os is bad.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 05:08:12 am »
That's if you opt for the automatic clever or express install or whatever MS are calling it.   If you opt for the Window 10 custom install you can opt out of all the data sharing, (at least that's what they tell you.  You'll never know for sure, without seeing the source code  :-X).  However, saying that, it should be an opt in feature, not an opt out one.  I like the one where Windows 10 shares your WEP password with all your contacts.  Now there's a bright idea  ;).  You can't even selectively choose who to share it with.  It a blanket share.  The security agreement alone is 22 pages long - 22 pages WTF :o.  That says to me Microsoft have a lot of evil stuff to hide in the legalese.   It's as you say, the best operating system ever built, heavily tinged with well deserved sarcasm  ;D!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:37:07 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:55:13 am »
Change your wireless password, add "_optout" to your routers SSID, and don't give your wireless password to anyone running Win10

Wifi Sense is a friggin stupid idea .. shared to contacts, who then share it with their contacts (?) .. it'll be with people who you don't even know in no time
effectively Microsoft are playing fast and loose with your security and trying to make everyone share their internet connection publicly even if you don't use Windows 10 just having someone who you've already given your wireless password to upgrade to Win10 is enough .. hell you don't even have to "opt in".

Win10 is also (by default) set to automatically connect to open wireless networks.

Between those 2 things I can't wait to see what the "hackers"/ crackers come up with  ::)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Dan

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5 & 6
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 08:34:44 am »
I installed the update to 10 on our Windows computer last week, and disabled everything I could. Still, I don't feel comfortable with it at all.

Had several issues with it (after the installation) which made me say something that I thought would never come out of my mouth..."I want Windows 8.1 back!"  :D

After messing around with 10 now for a week, the only benefit that I see is having an actual Start Menu again...and that's not enough to make me keep it. I'll be reverting 10 back to 8.1 this weekend...and hope all the spyware goes with it.  :-[

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:03:11 am »
Another crazy Win10 issue....

on 3 laptops I've upgraded for people, the synaptics clickpad/touchpad driver (version 19) settings (once changed) aren't saved across reboots so you need to change the settings every boot.

You'll want to change the settings too, because single finger scrolling is disabled, and double finger scrolling is upside down. ie. double finger scrolling when you move your fingers down (towards you) the PAGE scrolls down as opposed to usually where your VIEW scrolls down (page scrolls up).

The earlier version 18 and 16 drivers work (17 won't install) but stupidly you can't mark a particular update not to install so it keeps getting updated back to the broken version ::)

Updates seem to be an all or nothing affair now .. Grrr!!! >:(

So far, only a Dell I've updated didn't suffer this problem .. the 2 HP's and a Lenovo did, and Google suggests I aint alone
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:06:52 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:17:05 am »
So far, only a Dell I've updated didn't suffer this problem .. the 2 HP's and a Lenovo did, and Google suggests I aint alone

The Linux Action Show guys mentioned exactly the same issues so you're right you're not alone

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 11:27:29 am »
Yeah, most of us saw this stuff coming and made the smart move to stay as far away from it as possible.  Even if you can opt out of everything, you don't really know for sure.  You just never know how somebody else is going to use stuff you share.

I saw that commercial one day where they have that baby on and they're talking about how great it is that she'll grow up in a world with Windows 10.  I'm thinking, "yeah, poor kid.  Hopefully, her parents will get her into Linux, but probably not."

So when are you going to install the new "free" version of the "best operating system ever built"?

I already have the free best operating system in the world.  Peppermint 6.  :D  I have Kubuntu 15.04 set up on a dual boot, because I like a couple of the KDE programs like K3B.  I run a couple small utilities under WINE (things that don't have a Linux equivalent) and I don't even need Windows.  Given what they've done to Windows, I'm so glad I completely switched to Linux.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 04:38:54 pm »
I already have the free best operating system in the world.  Peppermint 6.  :D .. [snip] ..  I'm so glad I completely switched to Linux.

+1, and "amen" :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 06:43:18 pm »
I'm starting to think that Windows 10 was made in cooperation with the NSA, possibly even the FBI.  Read the following:

http://www.techworm.net/2015/08/windows-10-can-disable-pirated-games-and-unauthorised-hardware.html

OK, the pirated software and games bit I get.  That's illegal.  As a friend of mine pointed out on Facebook, just what constitutes "Unauthorized Hardware?"  Stuff Microsoft doesn't approve of?  That could be a really long list, if they want to be A-holes about it.  (and they probably do)  Things like that in an EULA are troublesome.  Microsoft could decide any hardware they want is "unauthorized" and disable it, and there's nothing Win10 users can legally do about it because they signed the EULA.   >:(

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 02:27:44 am »
I'm starting to think that Windows 10 was made in cooperation with the NSA, possibly even the FBI.

That maybe true but I think they're trying to follow the Apple model and exert complete control over the users and use that control for their own profit, that's where the money is

The problem is too many people just don't care about privacy, for many it's a case of "I've got nothing to hide" implying that those that do care do have something to hide but that said I think many people if they knew the full implications of using Windows 10 wouldn't use it.

Let's be honest how many people actually read EULAs, I can honestly say I've never read a EULA in my life I just don't have the attention span or the patience and even if I did I doubt I would understand half of it, but I do understand the concept of privacy and whether or not I "have something to hide" is my business nothing to do with Microsoft or Mark Zuckerberg.

Microsoft's privacy policy can be summed up in one sentence.....You don't have any, You're our bitch get used to it

Microsoft has not spent $millions developing Windows 10  just to give it away for nothing for nothing (does that make sense ? ) anyway you know what I mean, but alas the vast majority just wont care, they just want the latest and greatest and if it's Microsoft it must be good right.

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 03:12:12 am »
Hi Graeme, I think you may be on to something here.  MS are playing on the general apathy and ignorance the average Windows user has.  The average user regards Windows as a necessary evil to run their computer system.   Windows has become so synonymous with computers, it's difficult to separate the two.  MS knows this and is capitalizing on it.  They know that after the initial bitching has died down.  It'll be business as usual.  With their new Windows as a service policy.  They're going to turn their users into cash cows and squeeze every penny they can out of them, in every way they can.  This is what this EULA  is permitting Microsoft to do.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 03:42:30 am »
Actually, I wouldn't even go as far as to say the average user views Windows as a necessary evil.  The vast majority if users seem to think Windows is the best thing since sliced bread and will even defend it like it's their own child.  They see absolutely nothing wrong with it, even with its many obvious flaws.  I really don't know what M$ has done to inspire such loyalty in the masses, other than doing their best to make sure that most people see no alternative.  (to the point of threatening store owners that try to sell computers with Linux)

It's true, I've never read an EULA.  I just hit "I agree."   :-[  Though, I don't think the problem is with the users on that one.  The problem is that they're needlessly long.  23 pages, or something like that, is the length of the Win10 EULA. (as opposed to the 1-2 pages or so that you get with most software) Who wants to read that much legalize?  I think they make them excessively verbose with the intent that most people will say, "Aw, screw this," and hit "I Agree."  It's a tactic they use to get people to skip reading it and it works.  They're now so confident that people won't read it that they can put whatever in the thing.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 05:16:21 am »
Yeah, it's 22 pages and that's just the security agreement part.  It's truly shocking.  Windows 10 users are being, "sold down the river".  On a personal level, I don't care as long as it has no adverse impact on my privacy.  The majority of computer users are aware that there are alternative to MS's offerings. All the information they need to know about Linux systems is at their fingertips.  They prefer to not research for alternatives for whatever reason.  Again, I don't really care, it's their call and it's their problem.  Let them deal with it and the consequences of their poor judgement.  The folks that do come over to our side of the fence.  I'll do everything I can to make them feel comfortable with their new system.  Hopefully, they will then stay.   

Most Windows users, confuse popularity with quality.  Windows is the most popular desktop OS.  It must therefore be the best OS.  The brilliant marketing strategy Bill Gates, (it really was a stroke of genius) managed to implement, is the primary reason behind this mind set.  Nothing is going to change that; short of MS suddenly calling it a day and closing shop.  For me, the Linux Desktop is not a race or a popularity contest.  It's about providing a superior, safe and free alternative to the proprietary garbage that come pre-installed or is offered to users as a, "sprat to catch a mackerel".  The free upgrade to Windows 10 is the prime example of this marketing strategy.  After that free honeymoon period with Windows 10 has expired.  Its users will feel the full impact of their choice.  Microsoft will have the proverbial hook well and truly set.  It will now be time to reel them in.  Where the Linux Desktop sits in the popularity tables, is totally irrelevant because it's not proprietary software and it doesn't have to satisfy shareholders with profit results.  It all boils down to priorities and how much effort the end user wants to put in to their computing experience.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:04:38 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 06:59:00 am »
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

and you think Microsoft are the only ones doing it... come on - its been going on for years - its how they make money from advertising etc

Paranoia Rules
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080