Choose style:

Author Topic: You wake up and Peppermint 6 is gone!!!!!  (Read 7148 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
You wake up and Peppermint 6 is gone!!!!!
« on: August 02, 2015, 11:52:19 am »
What if???

Q.   What OS/Distro would you choose?

No. You can't remake Peppermint or use previous versions...  its gone.

Zeb...

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:55:51 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: You wake up and Peppermint 6 is gone!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 12:30:48 pm »
Spearmint 1.0 :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 12:33:12 pm »
Interesting question...

Well, the only other distro I run is the Ubu dev branch - which is currently 15.10 pre-alpha.

The thing is, I hate it when things just work, so Ubu dev branches are perfect for me - with the exception(s) of when I'm in a court proceeding, or 3,000 miles from my home in a hotel room, and so forth, and so on.

All I run on my portables is Peppermint.  It just works - which I've already stated that I don't really like, with exception(s).

So, that said, I guess I would stick with Peppermint.  If it disappeared every time I awoke, I would think that I died in my sleep and went to heaven.

I would be curious to know how you're accomplishing this.  Do tell...   8)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 12:42:35 pm »
Hi zebedeeboss,

I would initially use my other installed distro: Arch-Linux. To replace PeppermintOS is, at the moment, not easy for me to answer since I have stopped distro-hopping a while back (PeppermintOS is simply that good for me that I see no necessity to spend time doing that).

My initial reaction would be to give OpenSUSE 13.2 a test -- mainly because of their using (as a default) a setup that uses XFS & Btrfs. I wanted to install Peppermint Six using Btrfs but it was so difficult to figure out how to do this that I finally resigned to using my standard ext4:-[ I would then do my usual installation of the following window managers: Openbox, JWM and i3wm.

If that did not work for me, then I cannot say at the moment what I would turn to for an alternative.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 12:55:27 pm »

Oh, I get it.  This is a serious question - he's posing a dilemma.   ;D

I would make my own 'Peppermint'.  That's what I was doing, when I discovered Peppermint, actually.

I started with Lubuntu,  stripped all the cruft out of it, and installed the proggies I wanted.  The whole idea was to come up with a distro that would boot a 'full install' quickly on a USB stick.  Unfortunately, Lubuntu mucked something up in the core files (in a subsequent upgrade) and it took 5-10 minutes just to simply boot and shutdown Lubuntu from a USB thumbdrive.

I went looking for another Lubuntu-based distro, to work with, when I discovered Peppermint.

I was floored to discover that the Peppermint Team had already done all the hard work for me.  Basically, all I had to do is get rid of NM and install WiCD.  They used the same proggies I did, and got rid of the same cruft.

So, that's what I would do.  I'd make my own 'Peppermint' - but, probably base it on Ubu Mate NOT Lubuntu.  ;)

BTW, Peppermint 6 runs great on a full USB thumbdrive install - but, that doesn't fit the scenario above...

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 01:14:00 pm »

OK your out- lol    you failed the "can't remake" criteria   :P

ps - not distro hopping but Peppermint simply works    :) :) :)

Wanted to know if anyone had found any other gems none ubuntu based cos there are a few buntu spins that just work now - the Linux Community is really "getting it right" lately

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 01:18:04 pm »

I would make my own 'Peppermint'.  That's what I was doing, when I discovered Peppermint, actually.

OK Your out too  :P  No remakes

Linux User #565092

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:25:58 pm »
I misread your intentions, in the first post.  I thought you were being facetious.  I presumed that your Peppermint 6 install was disappearing ever day... dittos for the other vers, and you were pissed.  My bad  :D

Allow me to digress, while I'm thinking about it...

To follow-up on my Ubu dev branch love-affair comment(s) above -- 15.10 got so janky, earlier this week, that it wouldn't boot - it just kicked me to CLI.  I couldn't even get a network connection in recovery mode to haxor it.  I finally had to find a daily (that worked) and chroot it.

Yesterday, for shiggles, I was trying to install the latest Liquorix kernel on my 'Peppermint Six Stick', but it required installing GCC-4.9 - which, of course, doesn't exist in the wild.  Peppermint contains a GCC-4.9 Ubu hack, but the control file Liquorix uses doesn't include the updates ver.  So, rather than include it in the Liquorix control file, and rebuild the deb, I thought it would be quicker to find GCC-4.9 on Launchpad and chroot it into Peppermint.

Anyway, that's twice that I used chroot this week.  It's one of the handiest items in the Linux toolbox IMO.

Maybe we should make a chroot tutorial in 'Advanced' ?!?!?  Sure beats doing a fresh install, when things run amuck.

Just saying...   8)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:39:36 pm »
Here's what I chrooted into my 'Peppermint Six Stick', yesterday, from the ubu toolchain...

Code: [Select]
vindsl@Sandman ~ $ apt-cache policy GCC-4.9
gcc-4.9:
  Installed: 4.9.2-0ubuntu1~14.04
  Candidate: 4.9.2-0ubuntu1~14.04
  Version table:
 *** 4.9.2-0ubuntu1~14.04 0
        700 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-toolchain-r/test/ubuntu/ trusty/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
vindsl@Sandman ~ $

And, it STILL works - I'm using it now !!!

LINK:  http://linux.slashdot.org/story/14/07/27/1838219/linus-torvalds-gcc-490-seems-to-be-terminally-broken

Maybe, I can find 4.9.0...   :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:57:22 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 03:46:59 pm »
I'd probably just go over to Linux Mint KDE or Xubuntu.  I've used both happily in the past.  (Mint KDE is what I was using when I found Peppermint)  Both have that great Ubuntu base.  Though, Mint KDE is a bit heavier due to the KDE desktop.

That or I'd go completely away from .deb based distros altogether and go with PCLinuxOS or something Arch based.  I have an affinity for rolling distributions.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 03:54:14 pm »
If I woke up and Peppermint was gone, I'd have to go with Ubuntu's Unity DE.  I know this DE has a very checkered past within the Linux community politically --and I do empathize with Unity dissenters.   But, still, Ubuntu's Unity DE is the flagship Linux distribution of all time.  Ubuntu puts more work into Unity than any other distribution, and a gazillion distributions are derived from it.

Yes, politically incorrect as I am now proving myself to be, I'd have to go for Ubuntu Unity DE.  Fortunately, I don't have to make this decision:  I can have both Peppermint and Unity.  And that's the way I like it! :)

But, that was a fun question.  Thanks. ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 04:02:16 pm »
If Peppermint were gone, I'd go with MX-14.4 soon to be MX-15.  It is a good distro and they have a community forum that is very good although not as good as Peppermint. 

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 04:37:55 pm »
If I woke up and Peppermint was gone, I'd have to go with Ubuntu's Unity DE.  I know this DE has a very checkered past within the Linux community politically --and I do empathize with Unity dissenters.   But, still, Ubuntu's Unity DE is the flagship Linux distribution of all time.

Heh!  I never did hate Unity.  Matter of fact, I defended it for a year.

For instance, ppl were bitching about the launcher being on the left side.  They wanted it on the bottom.

So, I found a patch to move the launcher to the bottom, and posted screenies to show detractors how stupid it looked...

And, that was with an iconset that I made - it looked even worse with the canned icons.  LoL!

Unity looks much better now.  The appearance is very similar to GS.  Sometimes I forget I'm using Unity.

The only thing I don't like about Unity is... I didn't think of it first.   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 04:56:47 pm »
That wallpaper made me think of what I'd expect the old Voodoo Lights screensaver to look like through frosted bathroom window glass.

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 05:19:08 pm »
That wallpaper made me think of what I'd expect the old Voodoo Lights screensaver to look like through frosted bathroom window glass.

Heh!  That was supposed to be a negative example of why the launcher should NOT be placed on the bottom - like everyone wanted - the worse, the better, right?  I guess, in their minds, ppl thought placing the launcher on the bottom would make it look like Docky.

Of course, Googled archived that image for posterity - comes up every time someone does an image search on me.

I dunno, maybe it reminded the ppl in Mountain View of a dollar bottle of wine... who knows?  :D