Choose style:

Author Topic: You wake up and Peppermint 6 is gone!!!!!  (Read 7287 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: You wake up and Peppermint 6 is gone!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 05:27:38 pm »
I agree .. there's only one place the Unity launcher belongs ;) :P :D

problem is, Ubuntu fished it back out and used it  ::)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 06:34:00 pm »
Ubuntu's Unity DE --the only Linux desktop environment that most Linux users love to hate!  ;D
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 07:23:27 pm »
Ubuntu's Unity DE --the only Linux desktop environment that most Linux users love to hate!  ;D
Don't forget Gnome 3.  That's hated almost as much as Unity

You know we're really spoiled in the Linux world.  When it comes down to desktop environments, Windows and Mac users are pretty much stuck with what they are given.  With Linux, we have so many DEs to choose from, we can even afford the time to hate some of them.  Don't you just love Linux  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 08:11:39 pm »
You know we're really spoiled in the Linux world.  When it comes down to desktop environments, Windows and Mac users are pretty much stuck with what they are given.  With Linux, we have so many DEs to choose from, we can even afford the time to hate some of them.  Don't you just love Linux  ;)!!

Yes, I do.  And, you know, the irony of it all, both Peppermint and Unity share a couple of attributes in common.  Both DEs stay out of the user's way, and both DEs are a snap to use. I guess that's what the two really have in common.

It is true that you need to configure Peppermint more at setup than than you do with Unity.  On the other hand, Peppermint respects a user's privacy by default; whereas Unity does the exact opposite,  Unity actually goes as far as to disrespect a user's privacy by default, and the user has to learn how to regain it back.  That is clearly a downside to using Unity.  Also there is a lot of bloat in Unity.  Peppermint, on the other hand, is a lean machine!  I covers the basics, and if you want more personalization, you add it to your programs (which is usually very easy to do.)

I still like Unity for it's ease of use, as well as to see what's coming down the pipeline to us.  Xubuntu is great, but it takes a lot configuring to get things right --much, much, much, more configuring than Peppermint.  But, Xubuntu is a terrific distro.  Lubuntu is going through a transition from LXDE to LXQt --and I don't want to play that game right now.  Kubuntu is for the gurus, and I'm not even a certified yogi yet --so I leave Kubuntu alone too.  Gnome is buggy, unattractive, and takes too many clicks to use, so yeah, I guess you're right:   Gnome can be a pain.  MATE, on the other hand is nice, but its Menu isn't as user friendly as ours.

So, for ease of use, I still have to give the awards to Peppermint, and to the very nosy, sufficiently bloated, flagship distribution of them all -- Ubuntu Unity.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:13:43 pm by perknh »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 08:49:31 pm »
Don't forget Gnome 3.  That's hated almost as much as Unity

Imagine a world where there were no choices and you actually had to force yourself to like Unity.  Or Gnome-Shell.  Or Metro.  I'm going to stop now, because I'm scaring myself.   :o

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 08:13:00 am »
The Only answer to this question is, Go back to windows because it is the greatest OS ever made...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 11:09:45 am »
I would initially use my other installed distro: Arch-Linux. To replace PeppermintOS is, at the moment, not easy for me to answer since I have stopped distro-hopping a while back (PeppermintOS is simply that good for me that I see no necessity to spend time doing that.

I happen to think Slim.Fatz has the best idea of all if we had to build another Peppermint Linux OS from scratch.  I don't know Arch well, but I do know that with Arch we could essentially build another Peppermint-like distribution from scratch --but with an Arch base.

Choosing Arch, therefore, would be a smart move.   And I bet we'd like the new forum we create better than Arch's too! 

We can create another Peppermint-like distro if need be, but we would have to keep our forum just the way it is. ;)

perknh
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:40:39 pm by perknh »

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 01:23:04 pm »
I would try regular Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mate, I have tried Elementary OS but something just does not feel right theree

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 01:27:39 pm »
The Only answer to this question is, Go back to windows because it is the greatest OS ever made...  :)

I'd run Ubuntu "out of the box" before I'd go back to Windblows.   :P

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 01:58:26 pm »
Interestingly - not a single mention for Gentoo or Slackware or Fedora

I guess we all buntu fanboys  :D
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 02:07:40 pm »
Well, I mentioned PCLinuxOS and Arch, those aren't 'buntus.  ;)

Personally, I've never ran Slackware or Gentoo, but Fedora ticks me off.  (doesn't matter which DE, I just don't like Fedora)  Firstly, they release their OS and, in the following days, release 600 to 1000 bug fixes.  It makes you wonder if they alpha and beta test anything.  Secondly, it's a royal PITA to install proprietary graphics drivers on Fedora, or at least it was the last time I tried Fedora (version 15, I think.)  Thirdly, their update manager and package management in general can be a pill.  For one thing, their stupid update manager runs forever after you start the OS, making it impossible to run the software manager unless you kill it.  But, those are just my impressions of Fedora from a few years back.

The world in general appears to favor Ubuntu, though, thanks to Mark Shuttleworth.  I don't know if you do much package downloading outside of the repositories, but you're more likely to find .deb packages available on sites than you are .rpm packages, with a few exceptions.  Of course, you can usually find a tarball with the software, but not a nice, installable package except the .deb file.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:10:06 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 02:11:15 pm »
My other favourite distro alas is no more - namely Crunchbang  :'(.  So unfortunately, I don't have that to fall back onto.  I think if Peppermint were to disappear tomorrow, I'd have to experiment with Debian "Sid" Xfce.  Put some of the required spit, polish and time into this great distro and really have some have some fun.  It most certainly wouldn't be a regression to Windows.  I'd build my own, "Hackintosh beast of a machine" before I did anything like that  ;).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:22:06 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 04:18:25 pm »
My other favourite distro alas is no more - namely Crunchbang  :'(.  So unfortunately, I don't have that to fall back onto.  I think if Peppermint were to disappear tomorrow, I'd have to experiment with Debian "Sid" Xfce.

And what about ArchBang, AndyInMokum?  At least, superficially, it appears to have much in common with Crunchbang --but w/o the Debian base, of course.  (I know it's not the easiest distro to install either.)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 05:27:14 pm »
My other favourite distro alas is no more - namely Crunchbang  :'(.  So unfortunately, I don't have that to fall back onto.  I think if Peppermint were to disappear tomorrow, I'd have to experiment with Debian "Sid" Xfce.

And what about ArchBang, AndyInMokum?  At least, superficially, it appears to have much in common with Crunchbang --but w/o the Debian base, of course.  (I know it's not the easiest distro to install either.)
I like the idea of Arch better than actually using it.  The installation is not a problem and I like the control one has over the process.  It's not difficult, it's just time consuming to do.  People confuse this with difficulty.  I like the idea of pacman.  It's superficially simpler to use than apt and on a sunny day, it works just fine.  However, the sun doesn't shine everyday  :(.  The Arch Wiki is plain awesome.  I recommend every serious Linux user have it either bookmarked, or better still, make an SSB link with Ice: https://wiki.archlinux.org/

It's maintaining Arch and its derivatives that gets me.  It's far too labour intensive for my patience.  If you get behind with the updates just a little bit.  You end up in a whole world of trouble  :'(.  For this reason, I could never run it as a dual boot.  The ultra bleeding edge nature of the Arch is perfect for the perpetual tinkerer or a developer.  I like fixing things but I don't like running something knowing that at some point it will stop working again.  When they're fixed, I want them to stay fixed - at least for a year  ;D.  I guess I could run Arch as an experimental project.  I could never run it as my everyday production distro though.  It would drive me nuts  >:(.  I like Debian and it's derivatives.  It suits me really well and using the Sid repos would give me all the bleeding edge packages I want  ;).   

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 05:28:49 pm »
Probably Linux Mint. Not exactly exotic but a solid workhorse.