Choose style:

Author Topic: Synaptic Package Manager question (solved)  (Read 1894 times)

Offline exiled999

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Synaptic Package Manager question (solved)
« on: August 02, 2015, 12:45:36 am »
HI I just switched from linux mint to peppermint 6 and was wondering every time I clean out synaptic manager. Peppermint no longer loads up and just gets stuck on a blank black screen upon boot and nothing happens. So this time I reinstalled peppermint and didn't change or delete anything from synaptic Package Manager and works like normal. So mostly wondering are you not supposed to mess with synaptic package manager or did it somehow mess up?

I'm only deleting the files in the not installed (residual config) section and like I said every time I do so Peppermint stops working.

Edit: I think it's the files that get removed during installation and there's like 20 of them in the not installed (residual config) section.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:19:58 pm by exiled999 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Synaptic Package Manager question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:07:03 am »
What do you mean you're deleting them?  If they're not installed, there shouldn't be any files to delete.

Where exactly are you deleting files from?  Please don't tell me you're going through your system and deleting important system files, because that's what it sounds like you're doing.  If so, that's why Peppermint is failing to boot.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:10:59 am by scifidude79 »

Offline exiled999

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Synaptic Package Manager question (solved)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 02:29:39 am »
What do you mean you're deleting them?  If they're not installed, there shouldn't be any files to delete.

Where exactly are you deleting files from?  Please don't tell me you're going through your system and deleting important system files, because that's what it sounds like you're doing.  If so, that's why Peppermint is failing to boot.

Nope I have used linux mint and ubuntu before switching to peppermint and so far I'm really liking peppermint the best and going to stick with it.  Anyway both allowed you to delete files in the not installed (residual config) section of Synaptic Package Manager, since the files took up memory, were no longer needed, and everything in not installed (residual config) were safe to delete but it seems like you can't do that with peppermint. So was mostly wondering if it is safe on peppermint or if it is OK then why does it break peppermint? and so far with not messing with synaptic peppermint isn't breaking.

Here is the list that's in the not installed (residual config)

free implementation of the EGL API -- runtime
generic buffer management API -- runtime
free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX runtime
shared graphics acceleration library based on OpenGL
free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
OpenGL tubing and extrusion library
Modular compiler and toolchain technologies, runtime library
free implementation of the OpenVG API -- runtime
implementation of the Wayland EGL platform -- runtime
wxBase library (runtime) - non-GUI support classes of wxWidgets toolkit
wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK+ runtime)
SQLite3 C++ wrapper for use in programs based on the wxWidgets
X acceleration library -- runtime
automated rebuilding support for Python modules
X.Org X server
Xorg X server - core server
X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
X.Org X server -- VIA display driver
X.Org X server -- VMware display driver

So for some reason all of those are in the not installed (residual config) and deleting all these breaks peppermint and like I said in my first post all these where uninstalled/removed during the installation and the install meet the m5d and everything works until I delete these from not installed (residual config).

Edit: I'm starting to think even though they are in the not installed (residual config) section. They still have some kind of small attachment to peppermint though and probably should be left alone.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:20:21 pm by exiled999 »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 07:17:00 am »
The Xorg/Xserver config files are still in use by the later Xorg/Xserver stuff from the LTS enablement stack.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:50:17 am »
The Xorg/Xserver config files are still in use by the later Xorg/Xserver stuff from the LTS enablement stack.

Deleting those is why the OS isn't booting up past a black screen.  You're deleting important files for the graphical desktop, so it's not loading.

Offline exiled999

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Synaptic Package Manager question (Solved)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 12:19:31 pm »

Ah OK thanks figured something like that was the case. just wasn't 100% sure. Once again thanks.