Choose style:

Author Topic: Setting Up a VPN [solved]  (Read 3969 times)

Offline starchase

• New Forum User, Old Old Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Setting Up a VPN [solved]
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:21:10 pm »
How does one set up a VPN right now to use with her netbook (see sig below) for safe wifi connecting in France for the week my wife will be there?  She'll be using the hotel's free wifi

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:27:09 am by starchase »
Asus Eee PC 1025C, Intel Atom N2600 Dual Core 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR3, 320 GB HDD, Peppermint 9

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Setting Up a VPN
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:59:58 am »
Hi starchase, how's it going?  Okay, we're going to setup a free PPTP VPN.  The one we're going to use is called, MyBestVPN.COM: mybestvpn.com  It always works and it's funded by donations rather than by advertizing.  It will provide a secure VPN tunnel to the UK and the USA.  This will nicely mask your actual IP address.  There are other free services you can chose from.  I'll provide some links at the bottom for you to have a look at.

To setup:  (UK IP Address)
  • Open Network Manager From the desktop click on the Network Manager icon in the right hand side of the panel, click on: VPN Connections > Configure VPN.... If you can't see the Network Manager icon, you can open network manager by clicking on: System > Preferences > Network Connections and then click on the VPN in the left hand column.
  • Add VPN connection When the Network Connection window is displayed, highlight VPN in the left hand column.  Click on Add to create the new connection.
  • Choose the connection type Ensure the connection type is: Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP) and click Create.
  • Enter VPN Account Details   In the Connection name field, enter: UK Best VPN as the new connection name.  For Gateway enter: uk.mybestvpn.com.  For User Name enter: mybestvpn and Password enter: freevpn.  Have: Save selected
  • Advanced Settings Select both MSCHAP and MSCHAPv2 options. Check the box labeled: Use Point to Point encryption (MPPE) and for Security select All Available (Default) and then click OK. Click Save to save the VPN connection.  At some point you may get asked for a new keyring password.  Just leave it blank and click ok.  It'll complain bitterly, just disregard it and click ok
  • Connect to the VPN Now start the VPN connection by left clicking on the Network Manager Icon again, select VPN Connections and click on the: UK Best VPN you have created.
Once the connection is established, (you'll receive an on screen message and the network icon will change).  You will need to open any web page and wait for a confirmation message.  Click on the Agree button.  You're now good to go.  You can now repeat the process for the US connection using the details provided in the link.  You will now have two VPN connections to choose from: UK and USA.

Here are some additional links.  The process is the same for all the PPTP VPNs: http://www.bestvpnserver.com/list-of-free-pptp-vpn-server/, http://justfreevpn.com/.  I hope you find this helpful - have fun  ;).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:00:32 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline starchase

• New Forum User, Old Old Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Setting Up a VPN
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:26:32 am »
Thanks, I'll set this up and see how it performs.  I appreciate your help!

edited - the US worked great - thanks!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:40:22 am by starchase »
Asus Eee PC 1025C, Intel Atom N2600 Dual Core 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR3, 320 GB HDD, Peppermint 9

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Setting Up a VPN [solved]
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »
@AndyInMokum

Nicely done .. maybe you'd like to bung that in the "tutorials" section ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:23:33 pm »
Yes, V nicely done, Andy !!

Offline markhascole

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Linux Desktop
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:36:50 am »
Helpful discussion,
I am UK citizen and here in UK no of huge websites are blocked that is why me and my family using VPN, However, we are using Nord VPN as best UK VPN because Nord offers multi logins, Speed of Nord is the bit slow word features on Nord hide all its flaws.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:16:06 am by markhascole »