Choose style:

Author Topic: Edimax EW-7822ULC 5Ghz Wi-Fi Dongle (Solved)  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Tenderfoot56

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 8
Edimax EW-7822ULC 5Ghz Wi-Fi Dongle (Solved)
« on: July 02, 2018, 10:07:04 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know that I purchased an Edimax EW-7822ULC AC1200 Dual-Band Nano Wi-Fi Adapter to run on on old Toshiba Satellite L305D Laptop PC.  It had a very basic built in WiFi Realtek adapter, but no 5Ghz support. 

To watch streaming uncompressed Mpeg2 video from my SiliconDust HDHomeRun ATSC Tuners which serve up uncompressed streams at rates up to 20Mbps, the built in adapter just could not handle it.  So I purchased an Edimax EW-7822ULC AC1200 Dual-Band Nano Wi-Fi Adapter which I intended to use with my 5Ghz home network.

I plugged it into the laptop and to my surprise, it was NOT seen by Peppermint OS 8.  Bummer...

I looked on this forum and found no help in the documentation, so I went out to the forums for Edimax and found a set of instructions to get it running on most any Ubuntu based OS.

https://edimax.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/14000065859-how-to-install-ew-7822ulc-in-linux-running-kernel-higher-than-v4-11

Following the instructions on this page brought my WiFi dongle to life and I have been using it for about 6 months now.  Unfortunately, every so often, one of the Peppermint OS Updates appears to change something and upon reboot, the device stops working.  I have been able to completely remove the Edimax drivers as described in the document, then reboot, Update, Upgrade and Dist-Upgrade the Peppermint OS 8 via the command line to get everything current, then reboot the laptop and follow these instructions to the letter and it fires right up and runs like a top.

It would be really nice if Peppermint could add native drivers to support this device to the OS so I don't have to keep rebuilding the driver.  Perhaps it will happen in a newer version of the OS.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that if they purchase one of these devices, it will work... well, for now anyway...

Thanks,
Tenderfoot56

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:49:17 pm by Tenderfoot56 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Edimax EW-7822ULC 5Ghz Wi-Fi Dongle
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 09:39:12 am »
It's breaking when you get a kernel update because it's being built for the current kernel only

dkms (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) allows drivers to be pre-configured in a way that allows them to be rebuilt against the new kernel when you receive a kernel update .. I've added a dkms.conf file to the drivers you linked to above and uploaded them to the Peppermint server.

If you want a dkms version of your driver that should automagically rebuild itself for the new kernel when you get a kernel update, open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install dkms dpkg-dev build-essential libc6-dev linux-headers-$(uname -r)
then
cd ~/Desktop
then
wget https://peppermintos.info/misc/rtl8822bu-dkms.tar.gz
then
tar xvf rtl8822bu-dkms.tar.gz
then
cd ~/Desktop/rtl8822bu-dkms
then
sudo dkms add ./rtl8822bu
then
sudo dkms install 8822bu/1.1

If at any stage you wish to remove this dkms version of the driver
sudo dkms remove 8822bu/1.1 --all
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:43:33 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Tenderfoot56

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:36:56 pm »
Wow, PCNetSpec,

Thank You very much for your quick reply and assistance!!!

I have connected the laptop to my ethernet cable to perform the steps you provided above.   Before performing them, I ran sudo update, upgrade and dist-upgrade to be sure that everything was fully up to date, then sudo reboot to restart the laptop.

I followed all of the steps you provided above and everything appears to have installed correctly!

I shutdown the laptop and disconnected the ethernet cable, then restarted the Laptop and it correctly allowed the Edimax WiFi adapter to connect to my Ruckus 5Ghz Access Point as normal.  Speedtest shows that everything is transmitting and receiving at expected rates and everything appears to be working just fine.

Is there any need to keep the rtl8822bu-dkms.tar.gz file and the rtl8822bu-dkms Folder now appearing on my Desktop following the installation?

Thanks a Million for your Assistance with this!

Have a great Independence Day!

Warmest Regards,
Tenderfoot56

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 02:04:13 pm »
Is there any need to keep the rtl8822bu-dkms.tar.gz file and the rtl8822bu-dkms Folder now appearing on my Desktop following the installation?

No my mate, feel free to delete those now :)

And you have a great independence day too.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Tenderfoot56

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:09:41 pm »
PCNetSpec,

Ok, I'll delete them this afternoon.

Once again, Thank you so very much for your help.

I'll let you know if there are any issues in the future, but for now everything seems to be operating just fine.

You may close this case if needed.

Regards,

Tenderfoot56

UPDATE 2018-08-08

It has been just over a month since making the recommended changes outlined above in earlier posts, and I'm pleased to say that everything is still working and updating properly.  I'm not sure if there were any major kernel updates during that time, but everything continues to work perfectly.  Thanks again for all of the help and support on this issue.

I'll post again next month to let everyone know how it goes during the month of August, 2018 with updates, but I'm pretty confident that everything will be just fine!

UPDATE 2018-10-08

I just wanted to keep everyone up to date on the progress of this fix. 

As of today, Monday, October 08, 2018, the fix provided by the great folks on this thread has continued to work flawlessly!!!

Thanks again to all of you!

Tenderfoot56   :)

UPDATE 2019-01-08

Still working like a champ and I have continued to keep the OS Updated via the automatic updates and apt-get updates, upgrades, dist-upgrades, etc. 

Happy New Year and Thanks Again!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:29:14 am by Tenderfoot56 »