Author Topic: mintCast 229  (Read 1726 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
mintCast 229
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:22:23 am »
Hi all, how's it going?  The crew at the mintCast podcast mentioned us again.  This time through one of their listener feedback emails: mintcast-229-lots-of-news, starting at around 1:34.  It's always good to hear Peppermint receiving a regular thumbs up in the media.  We do have a splendid little distro  8)

The whole show is well worth having a listen to.  The guys at mintCast alway manage to produce an excellent podcast for all users of Linux.  The discussion about Canonical changing its Intellectual Property Rights Policy is very interesting and quite worrying.  Starts at around: 1:12:30.  It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the matter  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: mintCast 229
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 03:51:48 am »
The discussion about Canonical changing its Intellectual Property Rights Policy is very interesting and quite worrying.  Starts at around: 1:12:30.  It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the matter  ;).

Hi Andy.  I don't have time to listen to the podcast, right now.  I'll listen to it later today, but...

I never did care about Ubuntu - still don't.  It's just a source of entertainment for me.  I enjoy trying to keep their dev branches running - that's all.  For instance, I had to chroot this 15.10 install yesterday, because it wouldn't boot after a incremental update.  Doesn't get any better than that !!  Ubu is a toy IMO.

If Debian decides to change its policies, then I'll start to worry...  8)

Thx for the heads-up.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:04:37 am »

..If Debian decides to change its policies, then I'll start to worry...  8)
God forbid if that ever happened.  Debian maybe considered zealots.  They do stick to their guns and you always know where you stand with them.  They've done more for the overall good of Linux than Ubuntu/Canonical ever have  ;).

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 04:21:36 am »
Ubuntu is based on Debian: http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/ubuntu-and-debian

Even if Canonical went belly-up tomorrow - sure, it would be an inconvenience -  but it wouldn't be the end of world for Peppermint.   :)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:43:02 am »
Ubuntu is based on Debian: http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/ubuntu-and-debian

Even if Canonical went belly-up tomorrow - sure, it would be an inconvenience -  but it wouldn't be the end of world for Peppermint.   :)
If that were to ever happen, Debian would be the logical solution.  What I'm saying about Debian is they've spawned Ubuntu and all it derivatives.  This was great for the Linux desktop.  Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that Ubuntu/Canonical have directly given back to Debian.  There doesn't seem to be any give and take.  Unless I'm missing something  :-\.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 04:10:39 pm »
Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that Ubuntu/Canonical have directly given back to Debian.  There doesn't seem to be any give and take.

Yes, I judge that it's rather one-sided, but...

This wiki page summarizes their "healthy and collaborative relationship":  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubuntu/ForDebianDevelopers

A few pertinent quotes from the bottom of the page:

Quote from: Mark Shuttleworth
Ubuntu benefits from a strong Debian, and Debian benefits from a strong Ubuntu.

Every Debian developer is also an Ubuntu developer, because one way to contribute to Ubuntu is to contribute to Debian.

We incorporate Debian changes regularly, because that introduces the latest work, the latest upstream code, and the newest packaging efforts from a huge and competent open source community. Without Debian, Ubuntu would not be possible.

And, here's a wiki page for Ubu devs that want to contribute to Debian: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debian/ForUbuntuDevelopers
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:30:54 pm by VinDSL »