Choose style:

Author Topic: Nvidia driver install  (Read 3601 times)

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4,5,6
Nvidia driver install
« on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:08 pm »
Toshiba Laptop with Geforce 8600M GT GPU's and latest driver from Nvidia version 340.76

I am running PM4 on one drive and had Nvidia version 331.49 installed at that time with no issues.
I have PM6 installed on drive2 and I am working on getting Nvidia driver 340.76 installed and get a step
closer to replacing the PM4  system.

The driver is one big executable shell file, and I think most of the requirements are met, but to be
sure I need to know how to get to a mode with the graphics stopped so I can run the script.

I am getting an error 'The distribution-provided pre-install script failed'
This script is present in the PM4 install as well, and only has 'exit' (to stop overwriting Nvidia drivers) .

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:02:59 pm by piper »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Nvidia driver install
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:46:14 pm »
How did you do it in Peppermint 4?  Because, I know 331.49 wasn't available in P4, (P6 has 331.113) so you had to manually install that driver there too.

Incidentally, it's not a good idea to continue running Peppermint 4, as it no longer receives security updates.  The only versions of Peppermint that do are 3, 5 and 6, which are all based on Ubuntu 5-year LTS releases.

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:25:08 pm »
I used the script/driver combo from nvidia. I just spotted some nvidia posts in the other hardware section of this forum, and I may have resorted to removing the nouveau driver at the time, i'm not sure. It sounds like sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau might be worth a try. I think the process is reversible if needed.
Ctl Alt F1 looks like it should do the job.
Hmm I get 'Package 'xserver-xorg-video-nouveau' is not installed ...'
The extradrivers window shows that is what is being used though. Must be under another package name.
Also, by the look of the tiny font, I might still be using a display manager after Ctl Alt F1, maybe 'service lightdm stop'?

The package is 'xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-utopic' but after removing it I get the original error and the machine reboots to a full desktop.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:03:37 am by piper »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:45:18 am »
It used to be really easy to do.  In fact, 5-6 years ago, that was how I installed Nvidia drivers.  However, starting with Ubuntu 10.10, I think, Canonical started making it more of a pill to do.  They also apparently like to change the key combination needed to kill the X server, which is required to run a graphics driver install script.  I haven't found anything that works for Ubuntu 14.04, which is what Peppermint 5 and 6 are based off of.  But, I'll keep trying to see if I can come up with something.

Edit:  One thing you can try, though I can't guarantee that this will work, is booting into Recovery Mode.  That used to work, but I don't know if it still does.  When the GRUB menu appears, (if you don't get a GRUB menu, hold Shift while your computer is booting and you will) select "Advanced boot options for Peppermint 6," (or something like that) and you'll see where you can boot into Recovery Mode.  Recovery Mode will boot up with the bare minimum, but no drivers will be loaded.  You'll eventually get a box with a bunch of options.  Try hitting "Drop to a Root command prompt."  That will drop you down to a simple CLI with elevated privileges.  Try running your install script from that CLI.  As I said, it may work, it may not.  If I remember correctly, you used to be able to install drivers from Recovery Mode, but I don't know if you still can.  I haven't used anything but the "Additional Drivers" tool for a long time, because I find it to be less of a hassle.  Also, as a gamer, I find the latest driver in the Ubuntu repositories to be sufficient for my needs.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:55:27 am by scifidude79 »

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:19:16 am »
Yes to the recovery mode, It does require you to 'sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdb1 /' but the video drivers are not in use, proven by me being able to
'sudo modprobe -r nouveau'
I couldn't do that from Ctl Alt F! because it was still in use.
I'm still getting the original script error though, but I'm confident to try moving on to see what options might help in the Nvidia install script.
Great if you can come up with something though, The oddness that you can remove the driver and it still works is possibly the same thing halting the
script. In other words It's still finding the nouveau driver.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 01:28:52 am »
Hi piper, I seen you are still running Peppermint Four.  This release is defunct, dead in the water.  It hasn't received any updates, security or otherwise since January 2014.  I strongly recommend you upgrade to one of the supported versions: Peppermint Six (officially supported to April 2016, unofficially to April 2019), Peppermint Five (unofficially supported to April 2019) and Peppermint Three (unofficially supported until April 2017).  Any of these versions will provide you better security and stability compared to the dead duck Peppermint Four  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:27:25 am »
Great if you can come up with something though, The oddness that you can remove the driver and it still works is possibly the same thing halting the
script. In other words It's still finding the nouveau driver.

I honestly don't know how much help I'm going to be.  I stopped manually installing Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu based distributions about 5 years ago because of issues like these.  I can tell you this much for certain:  The nouveau driver is a huge pain to remove.  I think it was with Ubuntu 10.10 that Canonical decided to make it "more integrated" into the OS, meaning harder to remove cleanly.  Attempts to remove it manually tend to leave bits of it behind.  If even a tiny bit of that driver is left behind, installation of proprietary drivers won't work.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you need the 340.76 driver and you don't just install the driver from the Ubuntu repositories?  (331.113)  Do you not like that driver or something?  I have a slightly newer Nvidia card, a 9500 GT, and I use it for gaming and 3D CGI and I never have issues with that driver.  The reason I ask is, the Additional Drivers utility is quite excellent and will properly remove nouveau and replace it with a proprietary driver.  No muss, no fuss.

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 02:58:16 am »
To AndyInMokum, The object of this exercise /is/ to get PM6 on this laptop. I find it is better to get the hwaccel sorted first thing after an installation in case a total reinstall is needed if things get broken.
scifidude79, The main requirement is to get hwaccel going, if that could be done with nouveau that would be fine too. I  don't know what the Nvidia versions are changing at this stage either. I probably aren't going to harm anything by installing the older driver, It might even pave the way for using the Nvidia script method, if it removes the drivers properly. Perhaps it could be stopped half way to some advantage. 
Edit: I did the standard Nvidia 331  install, then rebooted into recovery mode and installed 340 but by pressing abort at the original  error (1st post) that worked fine, so now it looks like the logic in the script is wrong, but I guess I'll never know unless I start everything again.
So at the moment Additional drivers is showing version 311, but the Nvidia settings is showing 340.   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:36:05 am by piper »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 03:41:16 am »
To AndyInMokum, The object of this exercise /is/ to get PM6 on this laptop. I find it is better to get the hwaccel sorted first thing after an installation in case a total reinstall is needed if things get broken.
scifidude79, The main requirement is to get hwaccel going, if that could be done with nouveau that would be fine too. I  don't know what the Nvidia versions are changing at this stage either. I probably aren't going to harm anything by installing the older driver, It might even pave the way for using the Nvidia script method, if it removes the drivers properly. Perhaps it could be stopped half way to some advantage. 
Edit: I did the standard Nvidia 331  install, then rebooted into recovery mode and installed 340 but by pressing abort at the original  error (1st post) that worked fine, so now it looks like the logic in the script is wrong, but I guess I'll never know unless I start everything again.
So at the moment Additional drivers is showing version 311, but the Nvidia settings is showing 340.
Ah ha, it all starts to make sense now  ;D.  I hope you get it all sorted  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 04:17:08 am »
'modinfo nvidia'  shows that I am using 340.76, so it looks like the script built and installed the module OK. I'll stick with it, only because it is newer and maybe better in some way.
Is the module the only active part?  I could keep a backup of nvidia.ko in case the nvidia updater thinks I am at 331 and overwrites it. If it asks first it shouldn't be a problem.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 10:49:37 am »
So, you managed to install the driver by switching to a proprietary driver in the repositories and then running the script?  Nice.  That's a really smart idea.  I wouldn't worry if the "Additional Drivers" tool says you're still running 331, I'd only worry about what the Nvidia Settings say.  If that says you're running 340.76, then you are.  :)  The "Additional Drivers" utility is just for installation and doesn't have an entry for 340.76 in this release.

Look on the bright side.  Like mine, your card is officially on legacy support now, so 340.76 is the last driver they'll ever make for our cards.  So, when Peppermint 7 drops next year, the driver will already be in the repositories and you won't have to go through all of this.  ;)

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 07:43:55 pm »
Just to be clear,
I installed the default nvidia proprietary driver using 'Additional Drivers' then rebooted to recovery mode root prompt.
I used the login command to login as my normal user/password (may or may not be necessary, but now works in the expected way)
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdb1 /
sudo  sh <path to downloaded nvidia installer script>
upon reaching the error  'The distribution-provided pre-install script failed' I selected abort (rather than continue) and it did the opposite thing and built and installed it's module.
Previously I was trying continue and failing, which left me with some doubt to whether I really needed to use the 'Additional Drivers' install first.
However, It is probably better to know the nouveau stuff is properly removed, as that might have left some doubt also.

I have incurred a change of startup behaviour, Before the brief nvidia splash screen, I have 'Scanning for Btrfs file system' showing for quite a while, but I imagine there is booting happening, rather than actual scanning for Btrfs. There is then a brief login screen (login not required) before the driver kicks in.

As scifidude79 stated, either nvidia driver is likely to be fine, I think the issue of having a vlc with the vdpau acceleration would be good to have in the next PM release,
As that is quite a disruptive upgrade. There may be spinoffs by having later media stuff installed, though such as building a later version of mpv.
vlc  integrates well with v4linux/Tvheadend as does Opera 30, but mpv is very quick at playing videos or music at random (right click, select mvp).

Update: Having just installed PM6 afresh (with network updates) I found that the 340.76 is now in the "Additional Drivers' and it has installed painlessly. The full Nvidia settings dont appear until a reboot, but thats fine.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:06:02 am by piper »