Choose style:

Author Topic: Most useful Windows installation errror message ever ?  (Read 4698 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Most useful Windows installation errror message ever ?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 12:34:05 pm »
Would you guys have any thoughts concerning the best way to approach the problem I'm now having with this computer's heat?

I've been reading about this 'summertime blues' phenomena since the last century.  It happens every summer, and the 'cure' is always the same.

IMO the #1 best way to deal with 'computer heat' is to regularly blow out your machine with a real air compressor (90-125 psi).  In dusty Arizona, once a month isn't too often.

On desktops, you can't go wrong by adding extra case fans.  The more wind you're pushing or pulling, the better.  I know a guy that actually installed a clothes dryer exhaust on his case, in order to vent the 'computer heat' outside his house.  I think that's a little excessive, but whatever floats your boat.

Concerning laptops, specifically (I live in one of hottest spots on the planet) I always run them on top of a 'lap cooler' - even if I'm using them on a table or desk.  This is NOT for cooling my lap.  It's for cooling my laptops, themselves - removing hot air that gets trapped underneath them, and cooling the chassis.  You don't need to spend a lot - the fans only last a year or two, then they get noisy.  The 'lap coolers' I'm currently using are (like) USD $7.00 each  ;D

Well PCNetSpec and AndyInMokum, you're brave souls!  ;D

I supposed I could install the darn thing (Windows 10), and then not use it --putting Peppermint on my external drive so it would boot up first.

Here's what I do..

I have 4 machines (2 laptops, 1 netbook, and 1 desktop) running various vers of Peppermint.  The desktop machine is triple-booted with Ubu 10.10 (my emergency backup OS, when all else fails) and the latest Ubu dev branch.

I also have 2 bootable USB sticks:

1 stick contains the Peppermint 6 ISO that everyone downloads from the official website.  I can experiment to my heart's content on this stick, and it reverts back to a 'fresh install' on reboot, e.g. no harm, no foul.

1 stick contains a full Peppermint 6 install.  I use this to test long-term haxor on various platforms - actually, any machine I happen to run across, that allows me to boot from a USB port. 

That pretty much covers all_the_bases for me...   8)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:42:21 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 02:16:05 pm »
OK you've confused me perknh (sometimes easily done) .. what exactly is the problem ?

are you saying your laptop runs overly hot under Peppermint, but cooler under Windows or other Linux distros ?

Hello PCNetSpec, and thank you VinDSL,

Yes, it seems to be hotter later than usual.  It's been creeping up to 46 C, and when I was playing with a Windows 7 installation recently, it crept up to about 41 C.  And I always have a laptop fan running under this computer.  I'm not tech savvy enough to take the computer apart as VinDSL is able to do.  (I took an aptitude test once and, believe me, you don't want me to even screw in a light bulb for you. Seriously. )  But VinDSL is correct this appears to be a summertime problem.

But to directly answer your question, Peppermint has been getting so hot lately that I lose Internet connectivity at times.  Would the lighter ArchLinux distro with Openbox be easier on my resources, or do you think running Windows would help?  Or maybe just trying a new kernel, say 3.19, for Peppermint?  My computer itself is kept quite clean, so I don't believe I have much dust built up.  You've tried Windows 10:  You might have a sense of how light it would be on resources. (I just hate the idea of losing one Linux distribution because of excessive heat during just a few rough weeks of the summer.)  Remember I can always run Peppermint on my external drive.

I don't know if my computer would run cooler with other Linux distributions.  I was thinking maybe a distribution with an advanced kernel might help.  I've read advanced kernels sometime make computers run cooler.  But maybe that's a myth floating around Linux circles.  I really don't know.

Thank you,

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 04:38:32 pm »
Hi perknh,

If I were you I would try installing an advanced (i.e. a more recent) kernel in your Peppermint Six setup. You will always have the kernel that you now have to fall back to in case the newer kernel gives you problems (unless, of course, you remove your currently installed kernel -- something you definitely should NOT do). You can select any of the kernels up to and including the 4.2 release candidates (those listed with rc in the name).

How do you do this? Answer: Check my forum reply here:
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2196.msg21368.html#msg21368 as well as AndyInMokum's follow up reply.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »
Hi perknh, I think VinDLS's solution is the best.  I've also installed the 4.2 rc4 generic kernel on my 64-bit machine and everything works a treat.  It might help you out to.  It's easy enough to do.  It won't work at the moment on my little Acer Aspire One because PCNetSpec's acerhdf dkms module is failing to compile against the 4.2 kernel 32-bit.  I don't think you have this issue.  I don't have an overheating problem.  So I can't really give an objective opinion.  The laptop cooler sounds like a really good idea though.  As for installing Windows 10.  I wouldn't do it.  My reason being, it's Windows - plain and simple  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »
Thank you AndyInMokum, Slim.Fatz, VinDSL, and PCNetSpec,

As for installing Windows 10.  I wouldn't do it.  My reason being, it's Windows - plain and simple  ;)!--AndyInMokum

That says it all.  Sold --no Windows for me! ;)

Hi perknh, I think VinDLS's solution is the best. --AndyInMokum

Okay, I took a major leap today, and opened what I could of the center portion of the back of my laptop.  I only had one tool (a tiny Phillips-head screwdriver) that could do that, but I did so.  There wasn't much dust at all, but I removed the few specks I saw.  I need the right set of tools to open up the entire back of the computer.  Maybe I have dust lurking elsewhere.  If I do, I don't have a way to access it yet.  Still, opening my computer was a major leap for me, and my computer and I appear to have survived this leap.  I'm going Borg --becoming one with my machine!  :)

[EDIT]

AndyInMokum and Slim.Fatz, I had no luck installing any new kernel -- at first.  But somehow, awkwardly,  I managed to install the new low latency kernel after all.  ;)

Right now my computer is running at 44 C.  I believe that number is acceptable.  And mrs. perknh and I always run a cooling fans under my our two computers --always.

I'll now see if this computer begins to run cooler over the next couple of days.

This is my new kernel:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
perknh@bluecat ~ $ uname -a
Linux bluecat 4.2.0-999-lowlatency #201507220159 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 22 02:03:27 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[close]

Would any of you happen to know if this new kernel will update itself over time?  And can I clean the other Linux kernel images out of my computer and just keep that one Linux kernel, or is that a bad idea?  There appears to be no extra backup image.  But, as you can see, it is now a bit of a mess in there:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
perknh@bluecat ~ $ dpkg -l | grep linux-image
ii  linux-image-3.16.0-45-generic               3.16.0-45.60~14.04.1                    amd64        Linux kernel image for version 3.16.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-4.2.0-999-lowlatency            4.2.0-999.201507220159                  amd64        Linux kernel image for version 4.2.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-extra-3.16.0-45-generic         3.16.0-45.60~14.04.1                    amd64        Linux kernel extra modules for version 3.16.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-generic-lts-utopic              3.16.0.45.36                            amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
[close]

I thank all of you for all of the help.  That was a learning experience.  :)

perknh

P.S.

The spoiler function does not seem to working for me right now.  I don't know why.  But, apparently, you guys can see what I've posted within the spoiler.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:41:56 pm by perknh »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 11:20:50 pm »
Sorry to disappoint you, but...

THIS is the "Most useful Windows installation errror message ever" !!! (Video: 03:54) :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 11:23:22 pm »
Hi perknh is there any reason you went for the low latency kernel?  Were you experiencing video or audio lagging issues?  If you weren't, I'd uninstall it and try the standard generic version of the kernel.  It'll be generally more responsive across the board. 

Your CPU is more than likely rated at around 90 ℃.  So 44 ℃ is very acceptable, especially in the summer heat  ;).

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 03:55:05 am »
Right now my computer is running at 44 C.  I believe that number is acceptable.

-- snip --
Would any of you happen to know if this new kernel will update itself over time?  And can I clean the other Linux kernel images out of my computer and just keep that one Linux kernel, or is that a bad idea?
Hi perknh,

As AndyInMokum said: 44°C is just fine (that is about 111°F) but I would try to stay below 70°C (about 158°F) just to be on the safe side.

Your newly installed kernel will NOT be automatically updated. You will need to check back to the page that I gave you previously and look for newer kernel versions. Newer versions only appear about once a week or even less often under normal circumstances.

I would keep the 3.16.0-45-generic kernel installed. Why? Because you know that it works -- even if your machine might run a little hot with it. If a newer kernel version gives you problems, you can remove the newer version and still have your working 3.16.0 kernel to fall back and use your computer.

When and if you ever install a kernel other than the 4.2.0-999-lowlatency version you now use, and you find that it works without any issues, then you can remove the current 4.2.0-999-lowlatency kernel. Keep the 3.16.0 as your ultimate safety net, so to say. ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 07:35:32 am »
Hi VinDSL, AndyInMokum, and Slim.Fatz,

@VinDSL

That error message will do wonders to inspire people to download and try Windows 10!  ;D

@AndyInMokum and Slim.Fatz

I don't believe I ever did download the new low latency kernel running through your link.  I just downloaded it directly from Ubuntu's site.  I thought I read you guys talking about a low latency kernel so I went for it.

By the way, I have no idea what my CPU temperatures are, those are hard drive temperatures I've been giving you.  I've been going to Disks to check temperatures.  I'll remove that low latency kernel and try reinstalling via your methods again.  I must have been doing something wrong.  And I'll keep my standard 3.16 backup kernels too.

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

For some strange reason, I still can't get the Spoiler function to work in my posts.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:45:11 am by perknh »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 07:42:26 am »
I can't see that a newer kernel will make a difference unless something is broken in the old one (such as CPU stepping/throttling .. or possibly network adapter power saving) .. I'd also expect a low latency kernel to make little difference, but if it did make a difference d expect it to put MORE load on the interrupt controller possibly generating slightly MORE heat (though probably an imperceptible amount).

Nor will having the OS on an external HDD make any difference unless the internal HDD is physically removed/disconnected
(as it'll still be spinning and generating heat)

So I'm missing the line of thought here  :-\
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 07:47:46 am »
Hi VinDSL, AndyInMokum, and Slim.Fatz,

@VinDSL

That error message will do wonders to inspire people to download and try Windows 10!  ;D

@AndyInMokum and Slim.Fatz

I don't believe I ever did download the new low latency kernel running through your link.  I just downloaded it directly from Ubuntu's site.  I thought I read you guys talking about a low latency kernel so I went for it.

By the way, I have no idea what my CPU temperatures are, those are hard drive temperatures I've been giving you.  I've been going to Disks to check temperatures.  I'll remove that low latency kernel and try reinstalling via your methods again.  I must have been doing something wrong.  And I'll keep my standard 3.16 backup kernels too.

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

For some strange reason, I still can't get the Spoiler function to work in my posts.  :-\
You should maybe try installing the CPU temperature LXPanel applet  ;).

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 08:04:49 am »
Nor will having the OS on an external HDD make any difference unless the internal HDD is physically removed/disconnected
(as it'll still be spinning and generating heat)

So I'm missing the line of thought here  :-\

Hello PCNetSpec,

I have noticed over time that internal HDD is always cooler if I run a distro on my external HDD.  See I don't worry about the external HDD:  It's from my previous computer.  I'm just trying to preserve the life of the computer I have now.  And, you're right, the external is generating heat, but I have found to 3.19 kernel running at the same temperature of the Internal HDD or a few degrees cooler --and that's with Unity! 

But these are HDD temperatures I've been sharing.  I don't have a clue about my CPU temperatures.  Do you think I'm just wasting my time here changing kernels?  It appears to me as if the 3.19 kernel runs cooler than the 3.16.  Maybe these few degrees don't matter much, but I have had a tremendous slowdown with this computer (to the point where's it's just not working at times) during the last couple of weeks --when it's been the hottest here.

My goal has been to lessen the heat stress off of these computers when it's been so hot and muggy around here over the last couple of weeks.

You should maybe try installing the CPU temperature LXPanel applet  ;). --AndyInMokum

Thank you PCNetSpec and AndyInMokum.

perknh
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:17:00 am by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 08:18:25 am »
Sorry to disappoint you, but...

THIS is the "Most useful Windows installation errror message ever" !!! (Video: 03:54) :D
My two questions are, 1. Why was there no antivirus installed on the machine?  and 2. why did he download the file via email to update his windows when microsoft is not sending it via email they are sending a link direct to your task bar to download it?
If he would have had a good free antivirus on the system and downloaded from Microsoft not via email he would not have ended up with a virus now would he?
So in conclusion it is his own fault his machine was corrupted not Microsoft's...   Microsoft windows is the Greatest OS ever made that is why it is on everyones computer in the entire world because it is the best, the greatest, none is better...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 09:31:25 am »
If these are HDD temps, I doubt if the kernel is making much or any) difference

the HDD spins at a constant rate and this is where most heat is generated, not so much by the onboard controller or read/write heads .. simply by friction.

OK, better management may spin down the disk more often, but though this may help with overall temp and power consumption it's also also likely to shorten the component life.
It's not heat that damages most computer component (unless its outside their operating range), it's thermal stress caused by continual heating and cooling cycles .. it's generally better to stay hot than to fluctuate between cold and warm.

As long as a components temperature is under its maximum operating temp, its probably more important that it remains fairly stable than to lower it (where longevity is the goal).

Want lower HDD temps (which in the limited space of a laptop can even affect the overall temp)  .. replace it with an SSD  (lower power consumption, less of that power being turned into heat by friction) ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 09:41:30 am »
Surely the fact the upgrade was done incorrectly is irrelevant.  Compared to the fact that the ransomware was installed so easily.  I say it's confirmation that Windows is inherently vulnerable and insecure.  When you buy a license for Windows, surely it's not unreasonable to expect the software to work out of the box.  It shouldn't be necessary to purchase additional software licenses or have to install additional software to make Windows work.  All this says to me is that Windows is broken before you even install it  >:(.