Choose style:

Author Topic: Most useful Windows installation errror message ever ?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Most useful Windows installation errror message ever ?
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:33:23 am »
So important they tell you twice .. LOL :)

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Most useful Windows installation errror message ever ?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:55 am »
That's their Mission Statement, not an error message...   8)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:08:43 am »
There's actually a four letter word starting with "S" off screen to the left :P!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:41:01 am »
What happened is he now has installed the greatest OS ever made on his machine, he should be smiling and proud....   Nothing beats windows, nothing at all ,they are the best...   :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:04:51 pm »
Yeah, "Something" happened all right.  It's called Windows 10.  It's an abomination.  :P

That's their Mission Statement, not an error message...   8)

My favorite reply right there.  :))

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:51:25 pm »
8 hours waiting for the Windows 10 upgrade to download .. then it runs a hardware test and informs me Windows 10 can't be installed and to check the PC manufacturers website for a BIOS update.

Not a problem right ? .. 2 mins to update the BIOS and I'll be back in the game right ?

NOOOOO the only option is to close the installer (WindowsMediaCreationTool or sommat like that), and closing it causes it to "clean up"  fter itself .. no option to save the downloaded data so I can continue after the BIOS update and reboot.

So you have to start from scratch .. another 8 hours of downloading the damn thing again  ::)

Microsoft you blithering idiots .. run a hardware test BEFORE starting the frigging download, or cache the download somewhere and allow the installation to be continued later  >:( >:( >:(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 08:07:45 pm »
That's Microsoft for you, always doing it backwards.   ::)

My mom was telling me earlier that one of her friends on Etsy did an upgrade to Windows 10 and can't get anything to show up on the screen.  It's totally black.  Man, I'm so glad I got off the Windows bandwagon.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 08:20:04 pm »
Money is involved, it's a precondition to my touching anything Windows (unless it's the missus PC, then its a case of " anything for a quiet life") ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 11:23:56 pm »
Ah, I was wondering why you were messing with Windows 10.  I knew for sure it wasn't for personal use.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 12:32:07 am »
Money is involved, it's a precondition to my touching anything Windows (unless it's the missus PC, then its a case of " anything for a quiet life") ;)

When Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy --this is something we learn in time!  ;)

As well as to keep away from Windows whenever we can.  ;D

These are pearls of wisdom, my friends --these are pearls!   :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:54:58 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 01:49:13 am »
8 hours waiting for the Windows 10 upgrade to download .. then it runs a hardware test and informs me Windows 10 can't be installed and to check the PC manufacturers website for a BIOS update.

Not a problem right ? .. 2 mins to update the BIOS and I'll be back in the game right ?

NOOOOO the only option is to close the installer (WindowsMediaCreationTool or sommat like that), and closing it causes it to "clean up"  fter itself .. no option to save the downloaded data so I can continue after the BIOS update and reboot.

So you have to start from scratch .. another 8 hours of downloading the damn thing again  ::)

Microsoft you blithering idiots .. run a hardware test BEFORE starting the frigging download, or cache the download somewhere and allow the installation to be continued later  >:( >:( >:(
I had to have a chuckle when I saw this reply from, Mr Mole in the: Mail Online  ;D!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 05:44:47 am »
Setting aside the "Microsoft now has access to all your stuff" privacy argument (and thinking about it if you used a Microsoft account previously they already did), and you have to bear in mind most of the Fekbook generation won't care (or won't understand the implications so wont care .. they'll be too busy asking Cortana if she's friends with Siri and how big her ***s are) .. I must say Windows 10 is a MASSIVE improvement on 8/8.1 in the usability department, and as far as performance goes its a massive improvement on Windows 7 (it appears quick .. REALLY quick).

I'd personally never use it for the same reasons I dropped Windows in the first place .. the main of which is security and malware .. it's just as open to malware as previous versions no matter what they try to say, it still has the same root weakness (file system without proper permissions), but I can see why the average Windows user would be mightily impressed.

On this machine (and this MAY be an exception) .. a quad core i7 with 8GB RAM and a Samsung SSD (dual booter) .. it boots faster than Peppermint 5 (only just, but it surprised me non the less), and MUCH faster than Windows 7 did, and the new "Edge" browser feels quite sprightly as well.

What does Joe Average judge PC "speed" by ? ..except for the odd game framerate the average Windows user doesn't do maths around application/data throughput (which neither have I yet) .. when he says "my computer is slow, fix it" hes nearly always talking about boot time and web browsing experience.

I have no doubt that once it's been on there for a year it'll be crawling along on its knees and need reinstalling .. and it won't be free by then. Remember the only key the guy has is a Windows 7 one so after the first year if/when Windows ever needs reinstalling for any reason, he'll (AFAIK) need to install WIn7 then upgrade to Win10 and the upgrade will no longer be free.
(they can't be keeping a record of his key somewhere and allowing reinstalls .. it's an OEM key, so if they were doing that it'd be free for all Dell PC's forever)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 08:48:09 am »
Well PCNetSpec and AndyInMokum, you're brave souls!  ;D

I supposed I could install the darn thing (Windows 10), and then not use it --putting Peppermint on my external drive so it would boot up first. 

Here's my basic question:  Do you think my Toshiba laptop might run cooler if I did this?  Things have been moving like mud around here during the heat of the summer.  Do you think I would I be jeopardizing our privacy or security if I did this --meaning never running the Windows 10, but only using Peppermint from a 320 GB external drive within a USB 3 port?

Some alternative ideas would be to put Ubuntu 15.04 on the internal drive of the computer and see if the 3.19 kernel would help run this beast a little cooler; or I could learn how to put the 3.19 kernel into my Peppermint 6 installation to see if this would help cool things down a bit. (I also have ArchBang ready for some installation media to help me keep up with you guys trying out Apricity.  Remember I could never get the entire Apricity file to download or, when I did, the checksum didn't match. But Archbang would not be a problem for me to try.)

Would you guys have any thoughts concerning the best way to approach the problem I'm now having with this computer's heat?  If you had to put an alternative distribution on the internal drive to reduce heat, which way would you go?  Windows or Linux?  :-\

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:05:52 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 10:05:36 am »
OK you've confused me perknh (sometimes easily done) .. what exactly is the problem ?

are you saying your laptop runs overly hot under Peppermint, but cooler under Windows or other Linux distros ?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:07:19 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 11:41:31 am »
I'm sorry, but I have to chuckle at the magnitude of this latest microsoft fiasco.

The winders 10 storm hit Arizona this week.  I've been listening to horror stories at my workplace - much the same as the above. 

My wife's 'vista' machine is looking better all the time.  At least you *know* what you're dealing with... LoL   :D