Choose style:

Author Topic: It's too bad...  (Read 2148 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
It's too bad...
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:04:52 pm »
...we can't get Superman to round up all of the computers still running Windows XP and throw them into the sun, like he did with nuclear missiles in Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.  (If their owners can't be talked into replacing XP with a nice, light Linux distro, that is.)  Talk about making the world a safer place...

;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: It's too bad...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:28:52 pm »
+1 what he said .. though I'm thinking more of a Boov 'useless item' levitation bubble :)

(sits back and wonders if anyone will get the reference)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:33:55 pm »
(sits back and wonders if anyone will get the reference)

I can tell you for sure that a DuckDuckGo search is no help.   :-\

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:48:53 pm »
I was very smugly told the other day by an individual that, he could see absolutely no reason to give up using Windows XP.  His reasoning was, or lack of it was, the US Military is still using it.  He said, he was therefore in good company.  All the warnings are just a marketing ploy by Microsoft to force people to unnecessarily pay for an upgrade.  I told him he was correct but the US Military also paid tens of millions of dollars for the extended support.  I then ask if he by some miracle had access to these military updates.  I said If he did, he was in good company.  If not, he was running a broken and insecure OS.  He absolutely refused point blank to believe he was running an insecure system.  He's just one of tens of thousands of complete and utter morons with a computer running XP.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:22:54 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:12:51 pm »
They are not morons...   They just don't give a S..t!!    They fire it up - they check their e-mails and Facebook and log off.  They are not interested if some person has a botnet running on their pc sending spurious messages and or spreading it further afield.   They don't think about it.  They are not into computing like you guys and girls.

So they are not gonna change - no matter how many times you try and drum it into them, they don't want the expense of a new pc or the hassle of learning a lightly different way of working.

Log on  E-mails, Facebook - game - log off.  Period.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:15:32 pm »
I guess XP is a step up from when I was in the US Army from 2001 to 2005 and they were still using DOS on some of their computers.   :o  No lie:  I was in an infantry unit and the supply room computer had DOS on it.

Yeah, doing anything based on what the Military is using is not a solid reason.  For one, as you pointed out, they will pay to extend support because many of their programs necessary to running Military equipment still uses XP.  Also, the Military pays DOD contractors loads of money for secure firewalls and other safety features that make anything available to civilians seem like nothing.  If they upgraded to something newer, they'd need to pay some DOD contract company to write new software, which would probably cost them more than they're paying MS for extended support.  Not to mention the cost of paying to upgrade all of their tens of thousands of computers to a newer version of Windows and paying for training for tens of thousands of soldiers to learn the new system.  So, yeah, Militaries are special cases.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:20:02 pm »
They are not morons...   They just don't give a S..t!!    They fire it up - they check their e-mails and Facebook and log off.  They are not interested if some person has a botnet running on their pc sending spurious messages and or spreading it further afield.   They don't think about it.  They are not into computing like you guys and girls.

So they are not gonna change - no matter how many times you try and drum it into them, they don't want the expense of a new pc or the hassle of learning a lightly different way of working.

You're quit right, it comes down to laziness.  It's just like the person who doesn't pay attention to basic maintenance of their car - crazy eh  >:(.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:23:38 pm »
I was always under the impression the US military run Linux

in fact a quick search on Wikipedia-Linux adoption states the US military are the largest single install base of Redhat Linux  and their nuclear submarine fleet runs Linux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 04:25:47 pm »
It's just like the person who doesn't pay attention to basic maintenance of their car - crazy eh

That's me ! and I'm a motor mechanic with my own garage business  :-[

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 04:27:33 pm »

You're quit right, it comes down to laziness.  It's just like the person who doesn't pay attention to basic maintenance of their car - crazy eh  >:(.

Not quite the same impact though - lol but I get where you're coming from...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 04:29:54 pm »
I was always under the impression the US military run Linux

in fact a quick search on Wikipedia-Linux adoption states the US military are the largest single install base of Redhat Linux  and their nuclear submarine fleet runs Linux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

Graeme

Realistically, the US Military probably runs multiple operating systems.  There may even be some computers in the US Military running Windows 7 or 8.  It wouldn't surprise me if some run Linux.  It depends on what is needed to get the job done.  Remember, everything in the US Military is built by the lowest bidder.  So, if something is built for them by a DOD contractor and one way to cut costs will be do make it Linux-based, then Linux-based it will be.  It's not like the DOD is married to Microsoft or anything.  ;)

When I was in basic training in 2001, we had a rifle simulator that ran on the Super Nintendo.  It had an M-16 controller and everything.  So, yeah, the US Military (and other Militaries) uses whatever is on hand.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:34:38 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 03:03:42 am »
It's just like the person who doesn't pay attention to basic maintenance of their car - crazy eh

That's me ! and I'm a motor mechanic with my own garage business  :-[

Graeme

And didn't Graeme also say he is still using WinXP ... ??  :P :D

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome