Author Topic: Reaction to the Windows 10 Release --from It's FOSS  (Read 4669 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Reaction to the Windows 10 Release --from It's FOSS
« on: July 27, 2015, 02:55:46 pm »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline aagimob

• aagimob
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5 & Peppermint 10
Re: Reaction to the Windows 10 Release --from It's FOSS
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:35 pm »
 :D

Offline tutucavoraz

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:11:53 am »
:')

Enviado desde mi GT-I9190 mediante Tapatalk

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 06:45:46 am »
I've had fun and games trying to get Windows 10 on my old Toshiba laptop (which I want to sell - which I think will be more saleable on ebay with Windows 10 on it).

I had Ubuntu on the machine only (I hardly ever use it as it's old and runs hot). Though it's i5 it has my old netbook 160GB HD in it as its original HD died some years back.

So I downloaded Win10 using media creation tool, then did new install (deleted Ubuntu partitions) but - though I got it installed OK - it said my (Win7) key was invalid.

Further reading on the net suggested you have to upgrade the first time (from 7 or 8.1) not do a clean install...

So I took it off and reinstalled Windows 7. This then struggled with validation as I have the newer HD. So I had to do validate by phone which involves vast quantities of numbers/codes. But this worked OK.

It then did a mammoth amount of patch updating. Wasn't going to do all this but was waiting for the 'upgrade' icon/patch to show. 24 hrs later the 'Upgrade to Win10' icon finally showed.

It is now downloading in the background.

As mentioned, I'm only doing it as I think it'll make the laptop more saleable and if the buyer is not IT literate this will work out much easier than me selling an Ubuntu laptop but telling the buyer that the Win7 (and by virtue Win 10) code is legit (which it is).

Nothing ever straight forward with Windows because - unrelated - I now have my 240 GIG SSD in my main desktop rig (in the past I had the 128 GB SSD which ran Windows 7 and I ran Peppermint from an old Maxtor drive).

So I now have duel-boot. However, huge palaver trying to get Windows 7 ONTO the 240 GIG SSD. Lots of error messages at the partitioning stage (googling suggests this is common. You have to go into DOS and do a whole load of 'clean' commands etc etc etc). Also turned out for me that changing boot order made a big diff (the prior boot order was the Maxtor drive and seemed to be causing problems, even when I manually chose to select boot-up from SSD).

Point I'm trying to make is that Windows stuff is fiddly and very time consuming, especially anything around installation.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:01:11 am by mattosensei »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 07:40:32 am »
I've had fun and games trying to get Windows 10 on my old Toshiba laptop (which I want to sell - which I think will be more saleable on ebay with Windows 10 on it).

I had Ubuntu on the machine only (I hardly ever use it as it's old and runs hot). Though it's i5 it has my old netbook 160GB HD in it as its original HD died some years back.

So I downloaded Win10 using media creation tool, then did new install (deleted Ubuntu partitions) but - though I got it installed OK - it said my (Win7) key was invalid.

Further reading on the net suggested you have to upgrade the first time (from 7 or 8.1) not do a clean install...

So I took it off and reinstalled Windows 7. This then struggled with validation as I have the newer HD. So I had to do validate by phone which involves vast quantities of numbers/codes. But this worked OK.

It then did a mammoth amount of patch updating. Wasn't going to do all this but was waiting for the 'upgrade' icon/patch to show. 24 hrs later the 'Upgrade to Win10' icon finally showed.

It is now downloading in the background...... >:(

Windows installation is a nightmare, mattosensei.  And that infamous call --to India for us here in the US-- is no fun at all.  And, then, you have put in all of those obnoxious sets of numbers.   >:( is correct!

What I'm wondering now is if you'd be better selling the computer with Windows 7, and then saying that it is upgradable to Windows 10, or if you'd be better selling it with Windows 10.  I really don't know.  Personally, I think I'd be more inclined to buy a Windows 7 computer, but maybe I'm wrong about this.  Lot's of people want the latest and the newest of everything.

I know what you mean about the Toshiba computers running hot.  Do you think that Windows 7 runs cooler than Ubuntu on a Toshiba laptop.  The reason why I'm asking is because I have a Toshiba laptop too, and it also came with Windows 7 on it.  Right now I'm running Peppermint 6 on this very computer, and have Ubuntu 15.04 on an external hard drive.  I've toyed with the idea of running Windows 7 on the internal drive, and putting Peppermint 6 on the external drive, but then I'd lose one Linux installation.  Even though I think Windows is attractive, I don't care much for how Windows works.  You're right about all day updating, and I've gone days days before updating Windows 8.

I'm curious about your opinion on the heat issue, and good luck selling that old Toshiba laptop.   ;)

[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:58:10 am »
I had a thought the other day.  Do you think, when people in India need help from tech support, (any tech support) they get some dude over in the US who speaks their language in a heavy accent?  :))

@mattosensei:  You could just wipe the HD and try selling that computer on Ebay barebones, with no OS installed.  Some people go for that because they can put whatever OS they want on the computer.  Just a thought.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 08:14:47 am »
I had a thought the other day.  Do you think, when people in India need help from tech support, (any tech support) they get some dude over in the US who speaks their language in a heavy accent?  :))

What I can't stand is how they treat you, the lessee of the product.  Sometimes the employees at Microsoft are quite rude --and that's after you've paid big bucks to lease (not purchase) their (pretty but inferior) product.  After you figure out their game, you come to realize what a terrible scam Windows really is.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 08:29:02 am »
That's one of the main reasons I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid.  You don't own Windows, you pay for the "privilege" of using it.  Basically, you pay to boot up your computer and perform the most basic operations.  I very much prefer Linus Torvalds' attitude, that you shouldn't have to pay just to turn on your computer.  Also, if you read their 20-something page terms of use, there are all kinds of things you legally can't do with Windows, such as modify it in any way that they say you can't. (hack it) That's not a limit you can put on people who own something, which is the biggest proof that you really don't own Windows.

Of course, they're not any better with their XBOX consoles.  Hacking the XBOX 360 (and likely the XBOX One too) will get your console banned from XBOX Live.  Though, with consoles, that's more of an industry standard, because Sony does the same thing.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 08:14:29 am »
[...] Huge palaver trying to get Windows 7 ONTO the 240 GIG SSD.

Nice use of the word 'palaver' - and, a good showing of patience and persistence!

You're a true paladin !!!  ;D

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 02:36:41 pm »
@scifidude hmm I could just sell as barebones but I think the amorphous non-IT literate crowd looking for a used laptop would prefer 7 or 10.

@perknh tbh this Toshiba has always run on the hot side. I originally got it as a gaming laptop (duh; I've since decided that 'gaming' and 'laptop' are not best used in the same sentence  ::)). Runs even hotter now as the fans whine a lot and I think there is dust on the inside. I did once try opening it but struggled so gave up. Unlike my Netbook which I had to totally unscrew to change the HD but that was OK.

@vindsl  'palaver' a fairly commonly used word over here ;D and certainly apt when it comes to discussing Microsoft experiences!!  :-X

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 05:13:37 pm »
@scifidude hmm I could just sell as barebones but I think the amorphous non-IT literate crowd looking for a used laptop would prefer 7 or 10.

Yeah, that's true.  10 years ago, I wouldn't have wanted to buy a computer without an OS on it.  Now I'd do it.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 09:38:31 pm »

Yeah, that's true.  10 years ago, I wouldn't have wanted to buy a computer without an OS on it.  Now I'd do it.
Me too.  When I see a bare bones machine for sale.  It always gets my attention.  It says to me, this seller has prepared their computer for sale correctly.  The first thing the discerning buyer is going to do with his/her purchase, is nuke whatever is on the hard drive; fresh install or not.  It's better to be safe than sorry  ;).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:27:15 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:00 pm »
Here's the best solution to any release of Windows.

Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline aagimob

• aagimob
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5 & Peppermint 10
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 11:58:06 pm »
Permanent effect !  :D

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 09:02:09 am »
The Linux Action Show guys did a review of Windows 10,

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/85922/windows-10-vs-linux-las-376/

starts at 47:50, seems a bit of a train wreck and they were trying to be positive about it, and as far as privacy is concerned you can forget it Microsoft wants it all

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation