Author Topic: Enabled Fast Boot And Now I Can't Access My Computer's BIOS [SOLVED]  (Read 1993 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hello my friends,

I got this crazy notion in my head this evening to see what Fast Boot with my Toshiba C-70 was be all about.  Well, I can tell you Fast Boot sure is quick, because I've quickly messed my computer up by checking it out.  Now I can't enter my BIOS in order to get my computer back to its normal state of affairs.

Have I cooked my own goose here?  Or is there some trick within Linux to get back to my computer's BIOS so I can turn the darn thing off?  If so, I will do fresh install of Peppermint because I've done way too many things trying to remedy this problem --hard shutdowns and just about anything and everything I could think of trying to figure this one out.

Thank you.  Any guesses would be appreciated.  I'm stumped!  :-\

perknh

P.S.

I do have an external hard drive with Ubuntu 15.04 on it, and I do have a flash drive with Windows 7 --which is this computer's original Recovery Drive.  I don't know how to boot either the external hard drive, or the Windows 7 flash drive.  Tapping on F12 doesn't do anything for this computer any longer --nor does any other F key for that matter.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:00:52 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Enabled Fast Boot And Now I Can't Access My Computer's BIOS
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 06:20:18 pm »
Allegedly, you can hold down the F2 key and then push the power button and it may take you into BIOS.  Some people on the Toshiba forums report success with this, others not so much.

Incidentally, it looks like Fast Boot means it automatically skips the usual startup routines and goes right into Windows.  It's probably designed to work only with Windows.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Enabled Fast Boot And Now I Can't Access My Computer's BIOS [SOLVED]
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 06:28:55 pm »
scifidude79 --you got it right!  :)   I was doing the technique wrong. 

The trick is to power off the computer, and then hold down the F2 key and Power key, and to hold down both these keys for an extended period of time (several seconds) as it is powering up.  This will get you back into the computer's BIOS.  I know I won't be trying that experiment with Fast Boot again!

Right now I could cook an egg on my computer, and I'll have install both my OSes again.  I know that what I tried doing this evening with Fast Boot did neither my computer nor my installed OSes any good at all.

Thank you!  ;)

perknh
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:15:00 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Enabled Fast Boot And Now I Can't Access My Computer's BIOS
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 07:49:03 pm »
Eh, it was worth a shot.  I don't own anything Toshiba except a DVD player, so I found that one on a web search.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 08:14:19 pm »
Well, it worked --just took a little practice!

Thank you.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:34:15 pm »
Yeah, I see your edit.  Looks like it was a pill, but at least you got it sorted.