Author Topic: Most beautiful Linux distros from Arun at TuxDiary  (Read 5462 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Most beautiful Linux distros from Arun at TuxDiary
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 10:09:37 am »
I'm assuming it DOES receive updates, just that they require no user intervention and are applied automatically.

Now whilst I can't claim to know how Google have done this, I can only assume that downloads are directly from a repository owned by Google and have some kind of key to verify they're from the right place.

Personally I'd see that as a security risk, a man in the middle redirect and the right key and you're downloading the updates from a bogus repo

at least with Peppermint they STILL wouldn't be able to be applied without your permission/password.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 11:37:15 am »
Hello PCNetSpec,

I chose to allow Peppermint to download and install Important Security Updates for us here automatically.  I know I have good intentions, but I'd hate to miss some important security updates because I forget to install them.

I'd imagine Google's security practices must be some of the best in the world, but the NSA still got through to Google a while back, so who knows how secure Google is really?  :-\ 

As of now, I haven't heard of any security breaches with Chrome OS.  They have some way of fully updating their OS every time you boot up the Chromebook.  Reboot it, and it's always up-to-date.  That is pretty impressive technology.

perknh

P.S.

PCNetSpec, I see you have a lucky karmic number right now.  Might be a good day to buy a lotto ticket!  Walk away with the ticket and feel like a lucky devil the entire day!!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:46:39 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 11:53:07 am »
I'd imagine Google's security practices must be some of the best in the world

I guess people would have said the same about Microsoft Updates right ;)

http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/flame-burns-microsoft-with-digital-certificate-hack/d/d-id/1137805?
or
http://bfy.tw/xcR

They have some way of fully updating their OS every time you boot up the Chromebook.  Reboot it, and it's always up-to-date.  That is pretty impressive technology.

As I ssaid, seems like a security breach waiting to happen to me  ::) .. NO updates should occur without user approval

You can automate the updates in Peppermint (or pretty much any other Linux distro) if you wish .. but it's considered bad and risky practice.
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/automatic-updates.html
so there's nothing special about what Google are doing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:09:03 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 11:55:14 am »
Then you're online and you can't figure out why your pages are loading so slowly.  Oh, it's because the computer is updating.   ::)  This right here is why I like to control when updates are being downloaded and when they're not.  Sometimes, it's just not a good time, so I'll do it when it is.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 12:36:24 pm »
I see I'll have to mend my ways here, but I still see this practice, of automatic updating of important security updates, a near perfect solution for some personality types --such as those who just don't pay any attention to their update status ever, or for those who always simply forget to update their computer.  To these kinds of people, who I encounter quite frequently, I now always configure their Linux installations to update automatically.  It was either sporadic updating with these folks, or no updating at all, before I began configuring their computers in this manner.  For these personality types, I consider automatic updating nothing less than a godsend. (Let's be honest:  We all know these kinds of people.)

Me, on the other hand, I don't have much of an excuse for personally continuing this practice.  As Richard Stallman says, I'm doing this for nothing less than convenience.  And, he would be right about that.  I trust Linux a lot --and those were great links PCNetSpec.  Thank you. 

And, good point, scifidude79, I never thought about my computer suddenly going into slow motion because updating was taking place.  But, what you said there makes perfect sense.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm