Author Topic: Most beautiful Linux distros from Arun at TuxDiary  (Read 5453 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Most beautiful Linux distros from Arun at TuxDiary
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:01:39 pm »
I hadn't seen this article before.  I know it's a little dated, but we still have a very active Peppermint 5 edition, and I'm delighted to see that Peppermint is on this list.

Most beautiful Linux distros from Arun at TuxDiary

http://tuxdiary.com/2014/09/18/most-beautiful-linux-distros/
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Most beautiful Linux distros from Arun at TuxDiary
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 05:25:54 pm »
Peppermint tends to be cloud-friendly and is widely regarded as “Linux’s answer to the Google Chromebook”.

AGAIN?!  How many people are going to get that wrong?!  Peppermint was here FIRST!

Peppermint One released:  May 2010.

Peppermint Ice released: June 2010

Chromebooks announced:  May 2011

It's not difficult math.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:14:29 am »
What scifidude79 said :)

There's also the fact that the ChromeOS comparison is extremely misleading .. I can't actually think of ANY real world similarities between the two  :-\

Can you ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 05:09:51 am »
They both run on a computer, connect to the internet and use a keyboard.  That's where the similarity ends  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 05:11:51 am »
Chromebooks are annoying

I don't see Chrome O/S as an operating system at all just a glorified web browser

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 05:32:30 am »
Look at this way:  Even if this reviewer doesn't understand us very well, we have made to one reviewers most beautiful list --and this is even before Peppermint 6 came out!  Just making it to the list is a plus.  ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 05:52:58 am »
Sorry perknh, we're not knocking the review as a whole, or your posting it here .. just that it contains one of our little "pet hate" inaccuracies ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:54:53 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline aagimob

• aagimob
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5 & Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 06:04:11 am »
Anyone who use Chrom(ium) web browser in fact use Chrom(ium) OS becouse Chrom(ium) + adds on = Chrom(ium) OS ! Same with Firefox ! Btw,there is not "most beautifull distro", there is most beautifull DE, and for me most beautifull DE is Unity...DI GUSTIBUS NON DISPUTATNDUM... ;)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 06:46:35 am »
Anyone who use Chrom(ium) web browser in fact use Chrom(ium) OS becouse Chrom(ium) + adds on = Chrom(ium) OS ! Same with Firefox ! Btw,there is not "most beautifull distro", there is most beautifull DE, and for me most beautifull DE is Unity...DI GUSTIBUS NON DISPUTATNDUM... ;)
aagimob is using the "U" word  >:(.  Just joking, each to their own taste  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 06:53:25 am »
De gustibus non est disputandum is a Latin maxim meaning "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes" (literally "about tastes, it should not be disputed/discussed").[1][2]

--Wikipedia

1.  De gustibus non est disputandum". The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002
2 "de gustibus non est disputandum". Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.DE

Good one, aagimob.  I like the looks of Unity's interface myself.  And I, personally, like Ubuntu Unity's shade of purple too.  It's called aubergine, or eggplant, purple.  Anyway, I think it looks great!

Somebody around here has to stand up for our mother distro!  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:37:48 am »

That's ridiculous....

Chrome (the browser) is just the UI in ChromeOS, but ChromeOS is MUH more than just that .. there's ZERO hardware support or toolchain in Chrome (the web browser UI)
(a closer truth would be ChromeOS is Linux with a web browsefr as the UI)

Kinda hard to see it your way when the browser was about WAY before the OS, and available for multiple platroms  :-\

So according to your line of thought, a Windows user using Chrome is using ChromeOS ?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:40:49 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 08:27:17 am »

(a closer truth would be ChromeOS is Linux with a web browser as the UI)

Okay, it been finally been acknowledged that we have one of the most beautiful distributions in existence.  And, we here at Peppermint, of course, have known this for a long, long time.  But, here's my million dollar question:  How does Google Chrome OS update itself automatically?  How is Google pulling that stunt off?  We know it has a Linux kernel, but how is it set up so the end user never has to personally update the thing?  I saw that feature back with Microsoft in my earlier Web TV days, and I always liked that aspect of Web TV.  Now Chrome OS is doing the same --and that's one heck of a selling point for any OS to have.

Could we do this in Peppermint if we so chose to do so, say, via Ubuntu?

I didn't realize that this would tun into such an fun and interesting conversation when I posted that not-so-accurate article about Peppermint --with the exception of the beauty part, of course.  Hey, you either got it or you don't.  And, we just happen to have it!  ;D

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 08:41:19 am »
I don't see Chrome O/S as an operating system at all just a glorified web browser

Agreed.

Sorry perknh, we're not knocking the review as a whole, or your posting it here .. just that it contains one of our little "pet hate" inaccuracies ;)

Agreed here as well.

Yeah, sorry, perknh.  I kind of started off the responses with a negative.  Thank you for posting this article.  Like Mark said, I'm certainly not knocking the review or you for posting it.  It just irks me to no end when I see that "Peppermint is the 'answer' to Chromebooks" line.  Ugh.  But, certainly an interesting opinion piece on what that person considers to be the most beautiful Linux distributions and it's nice that Peppermint made the list.  :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 08:49:07 am »
Thank scifidude79,

I'm happy to see that Peppermint is finally taking the walkway, but I am wondering how Chrome OS is able to operate without the end user ever having to update.  :-\  I find that aspect of Chrome OS especially interesting.

perknh

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 08:52:48 am »
I agree that it's great that Peppermint is getting that kind of widespread appeal.

As for the whole Chrome OS not needing to be updated thing, I dunno.  I've never used it.  I'd guess that they have some kind of background service that updates it automatically for you.  After all, no computer OS can continue to function without updates, hackers would find the exploits and tear it a new one.