Choose style:

Author Topic: Where to get a driver for HP Envy 5530 wireless printer/scanner [SOLVED]  (Read 2317 times)

Offline tcwild

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
My network uses a printer common to all users, an HP Envy 5530 series that is connected via wireless, and other Linux distros had built-in support for it. It seems Peppermint does not. During the printer installation there are options offered (like choosing from  a very long list of HP printers, none of which work), one of which is to supply a 'PPD' file.

Where can I get this PPD file (HP does not supply them).

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:41:54 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Where to get a driver for HP Envy 5530 wireless printer/scanner
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 05:54:35 pm »
Hi tcwild, how’s it going?  Welcome to the Peppermint Forum  8).  You need to install hplip from the repository.  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window:

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Code: [Select]
apt install hplip-gui -y
Hit enter.  Enter your user password when asked and hit enter.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to apply.

You can find the, HPLIP Toolbox by navigating to: menu > Preferences > HPLIP Toolbox.  Make sure your printer/scanner is connected to your computer and turned on.  You will be able to configure your printer/scanner from here.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and have fun  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline tcwild

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
Thanks. I'd discovered hplip with some searching; but the list of supported printers didn't include mine...

Turns out your instructions were perfect, thank you!

- Ron E,.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Thanks. I'd discovered hplip with some searching; but the list of supported printers didn't include mine...

Turns out your instructions were perfect, thank you!

- Ron E,.
It's my pleasure, I'm happy to hear you've got your printer working  ;).  If you need any further help with things, don't hesitate in asking.  This is what the forum is for.  I hope you continue to enjoy using Peppermint Six   ;).

PS: Thanks for marking the topic as SOlVED,  For future reference, could you make sure you mark it as SOLVED in the subject line of the first post of the thread.  This way it shows in every reply.  I've already corrected this for you - many thanks  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline gstbill

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Where to get a driver for HP Envy 5530 wireless printer/scanner
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:28:36 pm »
Hi tcwild, how’s it going?  Welcome to the Peppermint Forum  8).  You need to install hplip from the repository.  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window:

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Code: [Select]
apt install hplip-gui -y
Hit enter.  Enter your user password when asked and hit enter.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to apply.

You can find the, HPLIP Toolbox by navigating to: menu > Preferences > HPLIP Toolbox.  Make sure your printer/scanner is connected to your computer and turned on.  You will be able to configure your printer/scanner from here.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and have fun  ;).

your solution was perfect installed hp envy 5530 driver thank you!
for windows and Macintosh OS check this page https://www.printerdriverforwindows.com/hp-envy-5530-driver
hope this help
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:12:47 pm by gstbill »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Where to get a driver for HP Envy 5530 wireless printer/scanner [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:41:51 am »
Great news gstbill, and welcome to the forum :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec