Choose style:

Author Topic: New to Peppermint - first issues  (Read 1076 times)

Offline tcwild

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
New to Peppermint - first issues
« on: July 19, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »
Hey gang. New to Peppermint, although not to Linux in general (first experience was with Red Hat in about 1990).

I have Peppermint Six installed on two different machines, a dual core Intel laptop (4G ram) and a quad core AMD (8G ram), both 64 bit machines, and both setup as 'dual boot' systems (with Win 7). My primary reason for choosing Peppermint was that video renders using Pitivi were successful, where they failed on other distros I tried (Ubuntu, Mate, and Fedora); but I have other 'issues' with Peppermint ...

Common to both machines:

1) I cannot see these machines from Win machines (or Android) on my network, and I would like to. I've tried the 'unlock' button in the 'Network' tool; but that doesn't seem to help anything.
     -> How do I 'share' these machines to the rest of my network?

2) My network printer is an HP Envy 5530 series 'all-in-one', which was supported in Ubuntu and Fedora; but is not in Peppermint. The 'default' printer from the 'HP' menu does not work at all.
     -> Where can I get the 'PPD' file so Peppermint can use this printer? (HP does not provide these)

3) In Pitivi, everything appears to work, except that the dialog area next to the timeline is all white (no information is visible), although hovering the mouse over it brings up the 'mouse help' info).
     -> Is there a known fix for this issue?

Thanks in advance!

- Ron E.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: New to Peppermint - first issues
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:17:22 pm »
Hi tcwild, and welcome to the forum.

Can you please ask one question per topic (with a descriptive title), otherwise it gets impossible to mark a topic (SOLVED) even when part of it is .. and marking topics as solved helps future searchers find known working solutions.

TIA :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:20:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: New to Peppermint - first issues
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:08:14 pm »
Hi tcwild,

Yes, welcome to Peppermint Six. We have answers to some or maybe even all of your questions. But I will wait until they are asked as separate questions in individual posts.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome