Choose style:

Author Topic: [Q]Transfer "Install" from PM5 to LiveUSB?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
[Q]Transfer "Install" from PM5 to LiveUSB?
« on: July 19, 2015, 05:24:18 am »
Hi, this is a bit tricky request:) Hope someone can help me with this:)

I have made my own LiveDVD from a Peppermint 5 setup with all the software and apps installed needed for my systems and the one of my friends. I used SystemBack to make the LiveDVD and Pendrive Linux to install it to my 32GB Kingston Datatraveler USB stick, from which I'm running it as multiboot together with other systems I have setup - Not at the same time though:) I also have Clean Peppermint 5 on this stick.

Now to the question/request: I like to be able to install my LiveDVD/usb creation to other PC's, while SystemBack has a Feature to do this - I like the one that is in Peppermint 5 and I'm wondering if its possible to transfer that one to my creation?

The systems are 32 bit. And I also have access to Windows 7 32 bit(where I'm writting this, and running my USB stick through QEMU(Very slow)). I also have another laptop I can run this on if needed.

The reason for this creation is to be able to access systems without ODD.

Thanx in advance:)

JBJ

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: [Q]Transfer "Install" from PM5 to LiveUSB?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:31:09 am »
If I'm understanding what Systemback does properly (and I may not be), I don't think what you're asking is possible.

I'm "guessing" systemback creates an "image" of an fully installed OS and then somehow makes it botable and gives ti a persistence file.
What you have to bear in mind is that a fully installed copy of Peppermint has had the ubiquity installer removed .. and even if you reinstalled it and recreated your systenback image the Peppermint ubiquity installer installs what's contained in the Peppermint squashfs (not the systemback one) so it'd likely install a normal copy of Peppermint.

About the only way you're going to ccreate a custom version of Peppermint that uses the Ubiquity installer is to unpack the Peppermint ISO .. unpack the squashfs .. chroot into it .. make your changes .. exit chroot .. repack the squashfs .. rebuild the ISO.

As I said the above is a pure guess because I have ZERO experience with Systenback and how their images are configured, so the question would probably be better aimed at them than us ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
Re: [Q]Transfer "Install" from PM5 to LiveUSB?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 12:18:59 pm »
Hi and thank you for the answer:) Well, i guess i have to live with the SystemBack way of installing(overwritting everything on the HDD), but the reson i asked here was that I didn't want to start doing something with someoneelses program like the Ubiquity installer - before asking first;)

But I can tell you its running smoothly, with java 8.45 and Adobe Flash player 10.3(for older systems).

SystemBack also has a nice feature that you might want to look at if you like me like to play with your system - System restore points like the system restore from Windows:)

Thanx again:)

JBJ