Author Topic: peppermint 6 - geforce4 Ti4200 - no additional drivers available  (Read 2208 times)

Offline nubipengen

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
hello everybody,

i am new to peppermint. i just installed it today and found there is no additional driver available for my geforce4 Ti4200 graphics card.
this machine is a pentium 4 pc with 2 gigabytes of RAM. formerly it used nvidia-96 driver on LXLE 12.04.4.

i appreciate any suggestion, thank you in advance.

regards,
Nubipengen

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: peppermint 6 - geforce4 Ti4200 - no additional drivers available
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 04:43:33 am »
There is no nvidia-96 driver for 14.04 I'm afraid .. nVidia now consider it "legacy" so they're not going to update it to work with current xorg versions.

That said the open source drivers are now pretty much as good.

Your other options are

a) go back to Peppermint 3 (which is based on 12.04)
or
b) consider it time t upgrade your graphics card .. you can get something MUCH more powerful now for next to nothing ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:49:15 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 04:49:56 am »
Hi nubipengen,

Maybe a dumb question from me here (since I do not have any NVidia hardware problems), but: are you having any graphics problems? If so, can you describe them? For example: when using a particular program, or just getting to the Desktop, or what? And what do the problems look like (poor animation, wrong resolution, wrong colors)?  :-\

It could very well be that with the newer kernel used with Peppermint Six (compared to the kernel used in the older LXLE 12.04.4) that you do not need any additional driver for your card -- especially if you are not having any problems (like the saying goes: if ain't broke, don't fix it  ;) ).

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 07:27:50 am »
If you're not having any specific graphics related issues, I'd stick with the Nouveau (open source) driver.  Manually downloading and installing Nvidia drivers is a royal pain, I'm afraid.

Offline nubipengen

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 06:17:29 am »
thank you everybody for your information that ubuntu 14.04 has dropped support for nvidia-96 driver.
this machine does not have any issue with nouveau driver, but i think i would gain more performance in graphics-based apps if i installed the correct nvidia driver.

since this machine is so obsolete, i think i would install some other distro suitable to its hardware specifications.
i think i would someday install it on some other machine that does not require nvidia-96 driver.

thank you everybody.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 07:31:19 am »
No problem, but just for accuracy it's not Ubuntu that have "dropped support" for nvidia-96 .. it's that nVidia are no longer updating the driver to work with current versions of Xorg so Ubuntu have no choice but to stick with an old version of Xorg or loose the nvidia-96 driver.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:45:36 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec