Author Topic: Virtual Question  (Read 2936 times)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Virtual Question
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:45 pm »
I have a question and I was wondering if it was possible to achieve...
Since I know so many people who will be lost without having Their windows XP and older then dirt versions of programs....
Is their a way to boot up under linux and use linux to install and run windows xp say in a virtual environment and be able to install all your old xp programs like microsoft works and office 2003 and such but still be safe online cause you are running it thru linux...
I guess what i am thinking of would be similar to running a old dos program in a dos box in windows.... 
can something like that be done using linux have an xp desktop icon and when it loads have all your programs ready to go....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: Virtual Question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:34:18 pm »
You can install WinXP using virtualbox or the like.  Not sure how safe it would be, though, once you access the internet with it.  Interesting . . . :-\

If not, maybe use WINE for Windows programs.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:37:28 pm by mac »
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:37:55 pm »
You can install WinXP using virtualbox or the like.  Not sure how safe it would be, though, once you access the internet with it.  Interesting . . . :-\

If you don't contaminate the clean VM with any useful/valuable/sensitive/incriminating/embarrassing/etc data then there shouldn't be any inherent harm in it. This is, of course, presuming the applications to be run in the VM don't require or otherwise obtain this data.
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:52:26 pm »
I would say, it can be done.  However, as long as XP has access to the internet it remains vulnerable and it won't get any better  :D.  As far as Windows is concerned, its installed to a real computer and has normal access to the internet.  So you can have an infected or vulnerable version of Window!s running in VirtualBox in Linux.  To be realistic, as soon as WinXP touches the internet it becomes a problem. The best thing to do with WinXP  is, bid it farewell and forget it  IMHO  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »
what gave me the idea was we used to run XP at the ambulance dispatchers office and we would click a link on the desktop which opened up win 2000 server which would vpn to the network in the philadlephia home station which was 100 miles away and we would run our CAD program off the philly server thru the internet...  but we were always able to minimize 2000 server and go back to XP and fiddle around on the web until a call came in then we could maximize it back and enter the information for the patient into the cad program....  :) 
This was 14 years ago by the way I hope they running something better then xp now...  LOL  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:44 pm »
Methinks it's better to just avoid XP altogether.   Like Andy said, once it touches the internet...... :o
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 02:40:21 pm »
well I was hoping that it could be used without the internet if that is possible in vm to turn off internet all together....
or in xp turn it off.... no reason why they can't get their email in linux and surf the web in linux.... 
I just was wondering if this would be an easier task then installing windows 7 on her machine and calling it a day....  LOL   :D
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 07:44:54 pm »
Using VirtualBox you can disable the NIC and have the XP machine, I think, safely isolated and insulated. If you already have Peppermint installed on a machine, it would be a fairly painless experiment. Personally, if I had a Win7 license to use and Windows programs that i needed to run, I would also avoid XP and Dual boot a machine.

Offline mracz

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:30:12 am »
Just fire up Peppermint Four and forget XP forever. You will be able to install and use Microsoft Office using Wine and PlayOnLinux. Practically you will have almost everything you had on XP this or the other way. There is no need to bother XP or windows security issues anymore.

If you have any specific reason to use Windows then go shopping.   :-X