Author Topic: keyboard lights  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Ineedaname

• Newly Subscribed
  • Is this the end ?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6/six
keyboard lights
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:23:02 am »
i think i got a bug  - ..my keyboard backlights Only seem to come  on when i return after being away from keyboard and sadly the button to put the lights down don't work either ..And yes i checked my keyboard shortcuts in peppermint control center ..I might have an idea on how to fix it ..let's hope it works - I'll report back oh and it if it's the "xbacklight" - don't work to  ???

report 01 - it seems that F3 (backlight keyboard's light down) doesn't function which  ..still got 1 more thing up my sleeve

01a. Ok i got it to where it Detects it but it still doesn't go down like normal ..

report 02 - Nothing I've tried worked i guess i actually need help  :^]

02a. I'm on to something ..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:21:42 pm by Ineedaname »
I'd love to change the world.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: keyboard lights
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:54:58 am »
Hi Ineedaname, thanks for the new topic  ;).  Okay lets try this.  First lets confirm you're using an intel graphics card.  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command in the terminal window and hit enter:
Code: [Select]
ls /sys/class/backlight/You should receive an output something similar to this:
$ ls /sys/class/backlight/
acpi_video0  intel_backlight
If it is confirmed that you're using an Intel graphics card, proceed by entering the following command to create a new file:
sudo touch /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.confHit enter and enter your user password when asked.  Now we're going to open this file with the following command:
sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.confNow populate the empty file by copying and pasting the following text:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "card0"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "Backlight"  "intel_backlight"
        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
Save the file and exit gedit.  Logout of your current session of Peppermint and log back in.  Hopefully, you should now have backlighting and have screen brightness control too ;).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:12:08 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Ineedaname

• Newly Subscribed
  • Is this the end ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:39:20 am »
Hi Ineedaname, thanks for the new topic  ;).  Okay lets try this.  First lets confirm you're using an intel graphics card.  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command in the terminal window and hit enter:
ls /sys/class/backlight/You should receive an output something similar to this:
acpi_video0  intel_backlight
If it is confirmed that you're using an Intel graphics card, proceed by entering the following command to create a new file:
sudo touch /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.confHit enter and enter your user password when asked.  Now we're going to open this file with the following command:
sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.confNow populate the empty file by copying and pasting the following text:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "card0"
        Driver      "intel"
EndSection
Save the file and exit gedit.  Logout of your current session of Peppermint and log back in.  Hopefully, you should now have backlighting and have screen brightness control too ;).

Actually instead of intel it's giving me
asus-nb-wmi

need to figure out which of pci devices from this list it is

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200(edit by me -  Xeon? what?)/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF116M [GeForce GT 560M] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 (rev 67)
04:00.0 USB controller: Fresco Logic FL1000G USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:30:14 pm by Ineedaname »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:50:07 pm »
I see you don't have an intel graphics card.  Sorry, I don't know how to proceed with an NVIDIA card  :(.  Someone else may have a solution for you - good luck  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Ineedaname

• Newly Subscribed
  • Is this the end ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:56:13 pm »
I see you don't have an intel graphics card.  Sorry, I don't know how to proceed with an NVIDIA card  :(.  Someone else may have a solution for you - good luck  ;)!!

It's ok :) the thing we can at least say we tried -  in due time everything eventually get's fixed and plus without that example snippet you posted

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "card0"
        Driver      "intel"
EndSection

I actually wouldn't have been able to start looking for a fix and yes I'll post it once i find it  :D