Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows Help Guy  (Read 2406 times)

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
Windows Help Guy
« on: August 09, 2015, 05:12:53 pm »
I don't know if you have noticed that Linux Help Guy has now changed to Windows Help Guy with emphasis on Windows XP help.  Not sure what to make of it but he seems to have lost his way. :-\

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
Re: Windows Help Guy
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:32:05 pm »
It seems like he is still doing Linux videos as well. He just has two channels now, one for Linux and one for WinXP.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:10:04 pm »
Anybody still running Windows XP and letting it even touch an Internet connection has lost their way.  It's time to retire that giant security risk once and for all, or at least use it with no active connection, like to run programs that don't require a network and won't run on anything newer.

Though, having seen some of the less sunny videos posted by "Linux Help Guy," (F*** Linux, End of Linux Help Guy, just to name a couple) I wouldn't be surprised by anything he does.  If you don't know what I mean, check out his channel and go back about 5-7 months.  He's already "quit" being Linux Help Guy at least once.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:15:14 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline charlie

• nOOb
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 05:28:00 am »
I used to enjoy his channel until he had a meltdown.  :'( 

I didn't see the Peppermint reviews, which is a pity as I would have tried Peppermint earlier.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 05:36:54 am »
Hi charlie, and welcome to the forum :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 05:55:21 am »
Hi Charlie and welcome to the forum :)

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Tea

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:40:06 pm »
Though, having seen some of the less sunny videos posted by "Linux Help Guy," (F*** Linux, End of Linux Help Guy, just to name a couple) I wouldn't be surprised by anything he does.  If you don't know what I mean, check out his channel and go back about 5-7 months.  He's already "quit" being Linux Help Guy at least once.

I dont want to run Steve down but there are lots of REALLY bad videos that he posts - The hates Linux tantrums (3 at the last count I think) are basically because he doesn't image/backup his system, then there's the car crash attitude to making videos - see his Makulu, videos for example where the  guy who makes the distro stepped in and posted. Steve hardly edits his videos and keeps talking (usually irrelevant waffle) while the system or programs install.
You only have to look at his Pepermint videos where people from this forum had to correct him, I'm talking about the desktop short cut in particular - you would expect someone with experience of XFCE would spot this immediately but no. Then theres his reviews where he uses the distrowatch site to provide the screen shots and the dialogue verbatim ( he just reads whats on the distrowatch page or the release info). There's other stuff I could mention but I'll leave it at that.

He seems quite popular with his followers  and he gets  linux out there - he promoted Pepermint and got it quite high on distrowatch fro a week or two.   Just remember, we know hell be back in a while.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 01:44:17 pm »
I certainly wasn't trashing the guy.  (I'm not saying you said I did either, just to be clear on that :) )  I was merely pointing out that he has displayed inconsistent behavior in the past.  To be honest, I really don't have an opinion of him one way or the other.  On the plus side, he has spread the word and brought Peppermint some new users, which is never a bad thing.   :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:49:33 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 01:51:47 pm »
I wouldn't give him credit for being the one that "got it quite high on distrowatch" .. Peppermint ALWAYS gets right up the top of the DW rankings shortly after a release :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 01:53:53 pm »
I wouldn't give him credit for "getting Peppermint high on Distrowatch" .. Peppermint ALWAYS gets right up the top shortly after a release :)

Yeah, anything with a recent release or that gets a review in an issue of DistroWatch Weekly is going to get a slight boost in stats for a bit.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 09:52:18 am »
I've unsubscribed his channel .. I'm not knocking the guy personally or his Linux coverage, but I won't be seen to follow someone that says it's still safe to run XP.
(and risks his followers data and security in an ill advised, no stupid, experiment)

I don't care if he doesn't "appear" to have problems .. do you think any new exploits will jump up and down and wave their arms shouting "HEY YOU'VE BEEN HACKED", or that they're more likely to do their thing quietly in the background.

a) how does he intend to check if his PC has become infected, his data stolen, or if the machine has been hijacked and become part of a botnet attacking other people ?
b) even if he has a foolproof way of doing that (which he can't) are his followers also going to have skills required to do the same ?
c) even if he DOES discover he's become infected, loosing his data or becoming part of a botnet, etc. .. maybe he'll have the skills to recover, his users may not.

This to me coming from a person in a position of trust is IMMENSELY irresponsible .. not to mention displays an arrogance that he thinks he knows better than the rest of the IT world (Microsoft included).

He's:-
i) risking his own data
ii) risking his followers data
iii) placing everyone else on the web at a heightened risk of being attacked/infected by a botnet that his PC has become part of

in the absence of evidence that he's qualified to properly monitor and isolate this PC from the rest of the world (and to recognise spurious network traffic when he sees it), I absolutely cannot stand behind this experiment, and even with that evidence in place he still shouldn't be posting anything that may convince others to do the same.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:55:08 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:24:10 am »
Yup, his advice is crazy and by reading the comments, there're still a huge amount of crazy people that need their computers physically removed.  You know when people joke about everyone needing to take an exam for a, Computer Operator's License.  This garbage is a prime reason to have such a thing.  It's ridiculous what he's advocating  - ridiculous  >:(!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Tea

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 12:52:41 pm »
Apparently, he does work in the it industry; I'm sure he posted quickly after quidsup did his...