Choose style:

Author Topic: Having issues with Flash in Firefox?  (Read 7693 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Having issues with Flash in Firefox?
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:52:54 am »
In case anybody is suddenly having Flash related issues in Firefox, this is why:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/14/8957177/mozilla-blocks-flash-as-facebook-security-chief-calls-for-its-death

If you ask me, everyone everywhere should stop using Flash.  It's horrible and outdated.  But, some site insist on still using it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Having issues with Flash in Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 11:50:28 am »
It's not being blocked by my version of Firefox (39) which is the latest  :-\
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 12:45:54 pm »
Yeah, I haven't figured out if that means the next version or what.  :-\ I saw this earlier and just wanted to make sure everybody was aware of this in case people come around asking about it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 04:18:30 pm »
Good idea :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:21:05 pm »
Apparently you're not alone, scifidude79

Today I read this article about Firefox's current problem with Flash.  Although I know very little about Flash in general.  I've read that killbits is supposed to be a safer alternative to Flash.

Everything I've read about Flash has said that its day has come and gone.  Yes, Flash should be retired.  ;)

I'm wondering if Flash in Chrome, or Chromium, would be any safer for its users until Flash is finally put out to pasture.  :-\

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/firefox-blacklists-flash-player-due-to-unpatched-0-day-vulnerabilities/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:07:08 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 01:42:19 am »
Flash in Chrome is the same thing that you get from installing the browser plugin from the repositories.  It just comes bundled with the browser.  So, it wouldn't be any more or less safe.

HTML5 is the future.  No plugin required.  Sites like YouTube are on that now, I even read that Netflix is using it now.  We just need sites like Amazon and others to get aboard and we can officially kick Flash to the curb.

I'll tell you what's hilarious is that Facebook is apparently behind Firefox's move.  I want to know how they think that's a great idea when they're one of the biggest sites keeping Flash alive.  It's what videos on there use and it's what their stupid games use too.  Kill Flash and you cripple Facebook.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 02:04:43 am »
Flash in Chrome is the same thing that you get from installing the browser plugin from the repositories.  It just comes bundled with the browser.  So, it wouldn't be any more or less safe.

HTML5 is the future.  No plugin required.  Sites like YouTube are on that now, I even read that Netflix is using it now.  We just need sites like Amazon and others to get aboard and we can officially kick Flash to the curb.

I'll tell you what's hilarious is that Facebook is apparently behind Firefox's move.  I want to know how they think that's a great idea when they're one of the biggest sites keeping Flash alive.  It's what videos on there use and it's what their stupid games use too.  Kill Flash and you cripple Facebook.
What's needed is for Microsoft to pull the plug on on Flash; just like Mac did.  Give its users a notice period.  After that has expired.  It's tough luck matey - use HTML5.  That would put the final nail in Flash's coffin  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:14:16 am »
What's needed is for Microsoft to pull the plug on on Flash; just like Mac did.  Give its users a notice period.  After that has expired.  It's tough luck matey - use HTML5.  That would put the final nail in Flash's coffin  ;)!!

Yeah, that would probably do the trick.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 05:57:53 am »
I take it back, flash is indeed being blocked by Firefox 39 .. so thanks for the heads up scifidude79 :)

It no longer has an option to "Always Activate" the plugin .. your options are "Ask to Activate" or "Never Activate", as in the first pic below

With it set to "Ask to Activate" the second pic shows a dialog asking you to "Allow" or "Continue blocking"

and if you click "Allow", your then presented with an option to "Allow Now" or "Allow and Remember" as in the third pic.

Pretty much a flashblocker with a whitelist .. though I'd still use the Flashblock extension to block ALL flash content allowing you to enable them on an item by item basis

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:46:23 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 08:04:42 am »
Hey, two thumbs up for System 76.  See!  There's a movement afoot --even if it's not moving like a Flash! :P

System76 removes Adobe Flash from its Ubuntu Linux computers

By Brian Fagioli for betanews.com

http://betanews.com/2015/07/14/system76-removes-adobe-flash-from-its-ubuntu-linux-computers/

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 08:50:34 am »
Flash NEEDS to die, but trying to kill it by making it difficult for users to access it (when massive chunks of the web still use it) is a ****ing stupid idea.

It needs developers to be talked into stopping using it, and replacing their current flash content .. this isn't a user generated problem, so why are they being targeted for the hit ::)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 11:14:43 am »
I take it back, flash is indeed being blocked by Firefox 39 .. so thanks for the heads up scifidude79 :)

The funny part is, I didn't even know until I saw that story.  I don't even have Flash installed.  :))
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:37:10 am by scifidude79 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 07:46:02 am »
Hello my friends,

Yesterday I found myself of advising a long, lifetime friend of nearly fifty years, to use Chrome browser within her Windows 7 laptop computer instead of using Firefox browser within her very comfortable desktop computer that is running Xubuntu 14.04.2.  I advised her to do this when she does banking, or when doing anything requiring the highest levels of security online, because of the risk factors involved with using Flash within Firefox browser of which we have been discussing.

See, on her 11-year-old HP desktop, she cannot run Peppermint, or Google Chrome, or anything that has a Chromium base.  Also her computer will not work with the latest versions of Flash either, so with help from my friends here within Peppermint forum (in this particularly case, PCNetSpec), I was able to give her old computer new life, but at the cost of having an old unsupported version of Flash.

Tell me, old Peppermint vets, did I advise this woman wisely for her particular situation?  On one hand I feel quite guilty advising this woman to use anything Windows related, but, on the other hand, because of the unsupported version of Flash within her Xubuntu installation, I felt this was the most prudent advice to give her until Flash itself eventually goes the way of the horse and buggy.

Crazy isn't it --the anxiety Flash is giving to its users lately?  The more I think about this issue, the more I think Flash needs to be retired as quickly as possible.  The worse thing about having given this advice to my longtime friend, is that I know it is because of the use of Windows that Flash is staying around as long as it is.  Knowing this gives me a  >:( feeling when advising to her use Chrome within Windows 7.  It feels a bit like I'm asking her to help keep the monster --the very same monster that wants to eat us all.  ::)

Did I overreact, and commit an unpardonable sin, when advising my friend to use her Windows 7 computer for the reasons mentioned above?  Or, in this case, did I advise this woman wisely?

Thanks so much,

perknh

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 08:48:46 am »
Hi perknh,

Personally I would have told her to stay with her Xubuntu + Firefox or Google-Chrome. Whether that is the safest, I don't know. Maybe someone with more knowledge will let us know.

What she and everyone else should start doing is officially complaining to their bank about using Flash on their banking pages.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 08:54:36 am »
Flash has got vulnerabilities, but only if the website with the flash content is specifically taking advantage of them.

Something tells me her bank are not going to be using flash content to attack her PC ;)

Just tell her when banking to only have one tab open (the banking one), and she should be safe.
(in fact you should do this anyway)

Pepperflash in Chrome on Windows has the same vulnerabilities .. sure as a PPAPI plugin it's sandboxed, but the running instance still has the same vulnerabilities.

And I'd not personally be advising the use of Windows over Linux for online banking under ANY circumstances .. windows will ALWAYS be a bigger risk.
(even if flash were safer, which it isn't, the rest of the OS has more holes than a fishing net .. it's MUCH more likely that some other Windows vulnerability or malware will be the source of any leak)

The ONLY reason to not use Linux over Windows for online banking is if the banks fraud protection guarantee expressly prohibits its use.
(Natwest bank in the UK used to [dunno if they still do] say the only time they'd guarantee cover against online fraud was if you were using Windows or OS X and IE/Chrome/Firefox .. f*cking insane I know, but those were their rules ::) )
But even then I'd be more likely to use Linux with a user agent switcher so it reported to the banks website that I was running Windows, then just not tell them ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:04:36 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec