Choose style:

Author Topic: My Sympathy Goes Out to Windows 8 and 8.1 Users  (Read 6355 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: My Sympathy Goes Out to Windows 8 and 8.1 Users
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 02:47:04 pm »
I can just about guarantee the Windows 10 is a, "sprat to catch a mackerel".  It's really depending on its reception within the business community.  This will probably define the standing of MS for the next decade at least.  If it does turn out to be a disaster.  Are Ubuntu, Suse and Redhat up to the task of filling the large business vacuum?  The same can be said for the smaller distros, that are hoping to service smaller enterprises.  Or, are business just going to bite the bullet and go with the devil they know?  One thing that's for sure. The next six months to a year are going to be interesting ones.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 03:03:14 pm »
Sho iz :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 05:37:10 pm »
I absolutely loathe Windows 8/8.1. Worst operating system I have ever used....I hate hate hate Windows 8.1.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

I feel exactly the same way.   8.1 is by far the worse OS I've ever used.  And what's even crazier than that, I've now installed it on my computer so I can see what this upcoming Windows 10 thing is all about.  8.1 is odious, as is the experience of calling Microsoft.  See, even though I have a legitimate copy of Windows 8, with a legitimatize product key, Windows still rejected my attempts at activation.  A woman told me there that I had tried installing Windows 8 ninety-nine times!  Ninety-nine times!  :o  I told her that I was crazy but not that crazy --nine attempts maybe with a legitimate flash drive installation from Windows itself, not ninety-nine. (I did end up using the DVD version I had originally purchased from them --which was considered somewhat buggy.)  She told me I had exceeded my limit of installations, and I could buy another copy of Windows 8 if I wanted.

No way, Jose!  I told her what I had was a legitimate purchase of Windows 8 directly from Windows itself, and it had a legitimate product key, and the installation was only on one computer, and I wanted the d**n thing activated.  Well, Windows 8.1 su*ks --big time.  But I'm going to keep it running until I see what this Windows 10 thing is all about --and the option comes to sign up for W 10, so I've been told, sooner or later, within odious 8.1 itself. 

(Brace yourself if you ever have to call India over your legitimate Windows product key.  The folks over there can be real stinkers at times.)

I don't know if it was 10i, or mattosensei, who said that Widows 8 was better than Widows 8.1.  I personally believe that to be true.  But, I'm too curious here:  I have to see if Windows 10 will be worse or better than 8.1., and I and I want to see if installing 10 extends my installation's life cycle.  This thread of ours here got me thinking about all these things.

I'm now running Peppermint 6 from my external hard drive.  We won't be using 8.1 much --just enough to keep it up to date and active.  My wife hates it, and I hate it, but I, not her, have to see what this crazy Windows 10 hooplah is all about. 
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 06:45:09 pm »
At one point I was marginally interested in Windows 10 but I must say I'm less interested now. Am happy with Linux - software community and values that sit behind it. Microsoft had its heyday in latter decades and I think it's somewhat past its sell by date now. As others have said, would be great if more biz moved over to Linux.

I only keep Win for some games that I can't be bothered to try running through Wine/PlayOnLinux but recently my favourite games all run on Linux so I am hardly ever on Windows these days (except for at Work where I have no choice).

:)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 08:00:51 pm »
At one point I was marginally interested in Windows 10 but I must say I'm less interested now. Am happy with Linux - software community and values that sit behind it. Microsoft had its heyday in latter decades and I think it's somewhat past its sell by date now. As others have said, would be great if more biz moved over to Linux.

:)

You've got good values, mattosensei, and I know you're on correct side of the issues here.  ;)

This is a curiosity thing for me, and it's happens to me with every new release of Windows.  I have to see what's going there.  I look at this somewhat as I do with politics and voting.  Although I know what I'm saying here is logically unsound, I feel I have no business talking about politics if I don't vote.  And in the forum here, I haven't ever said a lot about Apple, because I've never really used it.  But I do enjoy comparing Linux to Windows.  Still, I would never recommend that anyone go out and purchase an installation of Windows --especially now that I understand what open source and the Linux community are about.  But, this Windows 10 exercise is free for me.  And it will drive me nuts if I don't check Windows 10 out when I have an opportunity to do so. 

Now how long my wife and I will be able to stand having Windows on this one computer is another story altogether.  We both agree that Peppermint plain old functions better than W 8.1. on this computer for us.  She tried using 8.1 today, after going two years without it, and it was a miserable experience for her.  I had to boot up the external hard drive with Peppermint 6 in order for her to finish her before-work browsing this morning.  Chromium browser wasn't functioning well at all in Window 8.1 earlier today.  This might have been because Chromium in Windows is a super-alpha browser, or it might have been because of Widows 8.1 itself.  Whatever the reason, Peppermint 6 came to her rescue this morning and satisfied her browsing needs.  We both had to give Windows 8.1 a great big red F this morning.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 03:14:25 am »
I genuinely do have sympathy for Windows 8/8.1 users now.  I have a couple Internet friends who have had to do full system restores because there's some kind of bugged Windows update out right now that is messing up Win8 installs.  Good job, Microsoft.   ::)

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 05:12:20 pm »
Was reading this article on Windows 10 then read the comments where the guy who mentioned Linux got bashed.

For the record, I have tried Linux 3 times over the years and Windows is light years ahead of it.

:( :-[???  :-X ::)

I try to avoid the binary mentality of EITHER / OR but there is a frightening level of group-think with many (most?) Windows users who really do not have a clue at all that there is another operating system out there (Linux!) that would probably suit their needs much better - that is much safer, less bloated, comes in lots of flavours to suit different needs, is faster and cheaper to run.

Those of us using Linux are like Neo and crew who escaped the Matrix! We are freeeeeeeeee!  :D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 05:29:13 pm »
Translation:  I tried Linux 3 times over the years, tried doing some stuff exactly how I do it in Windows, it didn't work, so I assume the whole OS family is faulty because I didn't know what I was doing and was too inept to ask for help, so I went running back to Windows because that's the only OS I know how to use.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:31:28 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 06:07:57 pm »
That's about the size of it :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec