Choose style:

Author Topic: Where Windows 10 Is Headed: What Will This Mean for the Linux Community?  (Read 5424 times)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
It is already possible to talk to your Linux computer. Check out Sonar Linux, where you can issue voice commands and even a blind person can use Linux.

The future is here, with or without Microsoft.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Hi everyone,

I remember back in the early 1990s (before 1996, for sure) I used IBM's OS2 and voice commands to move around on the desktop and file system. I think that I also could write messages via dictation, as I recall. Of course, the system was rather slow, but that was back in the dark ages of PCs ...  ;D

Regards,

-- Slim

IBM ViaVoice Pro by any chance ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi everyone,

I remember back in the early 1990s (before 1996, for sure) I used IBM's OS2 and voice commands to move around on the desktop and file system. I think that I also could write messages via dictation, as I recall. Of course, the system was rather slow, but that was back in the dark ages of PCs ...  ;D

Regards,

-- Slim

IBM ViaVoice Pro by any chance ?
Hi PCNetSpec,

No, I am quite certain that it was not ViaVoice -- that appeared later (first in 1997, according to Wikipedia, with the first free version in 1999). I really don't remember what the software was called, but I am fairly certain that it was part of the OS2 standard installation. I personally liked OS2 very much and, as a result, I turned away from M$ already at that time.  8) Unfortunately, it was discontinued for the general public and only further developed for (mainly) financial institutions.  :'(

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
I can now see I'd be better severed if I continued to read about the IoT and AI instead being of one of M$'s guinea pigs with Cortana --even if just for a spell.  Besides that, I've just spent, or wasted, an entire week trying to get Windows 8.1 to work correctly on my computer.  The end result?  Missing Windows programs, and the accomplishment of nothing.  Windows would not even validate my legitimately purchased installation media to add back the missing programs!  Grrr! >:(

And if all of that was not bad enough, even my password manager questioned if I was really me after I had installed Windows on my computer.  It clearly could not believe what it was seeing either. ;D

Still, I'm going to be following the release and reviews of Windows 10 like a hawk.  The chatter here New Hampshire is that Windows 10 will be bringing back some of the functionality of Windows 7, but with the supposed equivalence of the built-in security of a Google Chromebook.  For the first time ever, security is supposed to become nearly flawless in Windows 10.  Okay, I'll admit, that chatter about Window 10 is coming from only one big box store and one small computer shop --from guys either selling or repairing computers.  But, correct or incorrect information --that is the chatter in New Hampshire about the upcoming Windows 10 release.

All that being said, I'm back with my typical two installations of Linux --Ubuntu 15.04 (always subject to change and w/o a product key) and Peppermint 6 --which is not subject to change until 7 comes around.  But I do want to take the leap and learn how to set my keyboard up for volume control.  That was a nice feature I had had in Windows for a few days.

@VinDSL

At $7.99 that finger print reader is, at the very least, a tech collectible and an interesting conversation piece.  In the right environment, it could be a fun thing to have around.  For $7.99, for the fun of it, I'd say go for it!  ;)

Kinda think of it, that's exactly the same price as one lobster roll at McDonald's this time of year!

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
The chatter here New Hampshire is that Windows 10 will be bringing back some of the functionality of Windows 7, but with the supposed equivalence of the built-in security of a Google Chromebook.  For the first time ever, security is supposed to become nearly flawless in Windows 10.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .. and breathe .. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .. ouch that hurts .. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .. damn, I'm choking .. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Good one

Thanks perknh, I've been having a bit of a bad day/week/month .. but that took the edge off for a second ;)

I've explained before that Microsoft file systems CANNOT EVER be secure, they simply don't support permissions at the file system level, and Microsoft are stuck with them for software backwards compatibility.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:37:04 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The chatter here New Hampshire is that Windows 10 will be bringing back some of the functionality of Windows 7, but with the supposed equivalence of the built-in security of a Google Chromebook.  For the first time ever, security is supposed to become nearly flawless in Windows 10.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .. and breathe .. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .. ouch that hurts .. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .. damn, I'm choking .. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Good one

Thanks perknh, I've been having a bit of a bad day/week/month .. but that took the edge off for a second ;)

You're most certainly welcome.  Mrs. perknh thanked me too for removing Windows off our main computer.  Ironically, Edge is name of the new Windows 10 browser that is supposed to help fulfill this new, allegedly cloud-based, security function!

Maybe we could have new slogan around here.  How's this:  Relax and take the Edge off with Peppermint Linux OS!  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
"Take the edge off with Peppermint" .. brilliant, just brilliant  :)

Peppermint, just the thing to take the edge off...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:26:19 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Echos of former thoughts considered by scifidude79, rjm65, PCNetSpec, and AndyinMokum can all be found within these two short interviews.  Bottom line?  If you want to see where things may be headed within the world of computing, talk to young people.  ;)

Two teen programmers talk about why they love Linux, love Google, and don't hate Windows 10

by Julie Bort for Business Week

http://www.businessinsider.com/teen-developers-love-linux-like-w10-2015-7#ixzz3frdTV9aZ

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Two sensible guys :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
But the open source operating system Linux

::)  I know, I should be tolerant of people who don't know the difference between an operating system and a kernel, but stuff like this always makes me cringe.   ::)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
To go back to the first part of the original question, Where Windows 10 is Headed, maybe the answer might be, amongst other things, a less secure Wi-Fi experience.  It's Windows 10's first day out, and already I'm reading this.  Look at the suggestions at the end of the piece.  Who wants to do all of that?

Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts

by KrebsonSecurity

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
The truly sad part is how many people in the comments section of that article don't think this is a big deal or an issue.   ::)

Of course, a mac filter on your network would stop any unauthorized use, but still.  It's disturbing that even Microsoft has your password.  They don't need it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:28:40 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Fortunately qazwsx and D get it!  ;)

scifidude79, before I had posted this, I had put a link out that was entertaining the idea the Windows 10 was nudging us all a bit closer to the Internet of Things --an idea that fascinates me.  But as visually appealing as these new Windows distributions are (at least, in my opinion), I am absolutely convinced that Microsoft is the wrong gatekeeper for the IoT.  The gatekeepers, for there will certainly be many, had better be open source for humankind's sake.  Could you imagine how creepy things would be if the IoT were to be controlled entirely by proprietary software?

Now that's a creepy thought!  :-X
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:07:03 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Fortunately qazwsx and D get it!  ;)

scifidude79, before I had posted this, I had put a link out that was entertaining the idea the Windows 10 was nudging us all a bit closer to the Internet of Things --an idea that fascinates me.  But as visually appealing as these new Windows distributions are (at least, in my opinion), I am absolutely convinced that Microsoft is the wrong gatekeeper for the IoT.  The gatekeepers, for there will certainly be many, had better be open source for humankind's sake.  Could you imagine how creepy things would be if the IoT were to be controlled entirely by proprietary software?

Now that's a creepy thought!  :-X
That's a scary thought - I mean seriously scary  >:(!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The truly sad part is how many people in the comments section of that article don't think this is a big deal or an issue.   ::

And the news concerning Windows 10 keeps getting worse:

Microsoft’s new small print – how your personal data is (ab)used

By Heini Järvinen for EDRi

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/