Author Topic: Screen tearing with video on Lenovo thinkpad x230 i5 with intel hd 4000 (SOLVED)  (Read 7586 times)

Offline moomin

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Hello, that worked! Thank you for your help. I am sorry for messing you about, I don't want you to think you are wasting your time. All of your help has been much appreciated. As someone coming from Windows, Linux can be a bit overwhelming. That said the Peppermint OS has been the easiest for me to get to grips with yet (and also the fastest).

WallyA suggested he still gets the screen tearing on Peppermint 6 even with  "tear free" fix, suggesting it might be the older kernel and the tear free fix needed. So Peppermint 6 might still work for me with the kernel downgrade. Still it is a shame all these steps are necessary just because of crappy Intel drivers!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Yeah if the "TearFree" fix works in Peppermint 5, downgrading the Peppermint 6 kernel and xorg stack, then applying the "TearFree" fix should also work.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
If someone's taking the time to respond it'd be good manners to not change tack in the middle without warning them so they don't waste their time....

My apologies if it seemed that I was saying "hey, do this instead" - my intention was to provide some additional info regarding the issue (based on my experience with it) and offer another potential fix to try after the one that was in progress (if needed).  I should have been a little clearer. 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
@ WallyA

That wasn't aimed at you ;)

You were indeed just adding info .. what annoyed me a tiny bit was that the OP left me to type up the instructions for rolling back the kernel, when he could have just posted that he'd gone back to Peppermint 5 and saved me the trouble.

He's since said it was unintentional and apologised so all's well in Peppermint land again :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:09:37 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Yeah if the "TearFree" fix works in Peppermint 5, downgrading the Peppermint 6 kernel and xorg stack, then applying the "TearFree" fix should also work.

I expect you are correct but I haven't been able to verify (yet) - I attempted to test downgrading the kernel and xorg stack on a P6 install, but ran into dependency issues (on the third step of your instructions) and wound up messing up my install to the point that it hangs at the "peppermint starting up" screen.   Something (dumb) I did after attempting to apply the downgrade caused the issue, not your instructions - and this was on an install that I had set up specifically to test P6 and video tearing, so no problems.  I would post more details about the dependency issues but I can't get back in LOL

I have another P6 install on a spare hard drive that I can pop into my T61 and test the downgrade later - if and when I get to that I will post details of the dependency issue.   

Running "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Tear" should should show TearFree enabled if it has been added to Xorg.conf.d - this is how I determined that in a "stock" install of P6 TearFree isn't enabled (even after you think you have done so). 

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I fear some of my experience that I relayed may have been an unintentional red herring ...

The P6 install that I mentioned in which I could not enable TearFree - and that I jacked up after encountering dependency issues when rolling back the kernel and Xorg Stack - I believe there was some other issue at play, so I don't believe those results were trustworthy or typical.  This was on a custom build w/ an i7.

I have just tested on a T61 w/ Core 2 duo processor - older hardware.  No problems rolling back the kernel and the Xorg stack; however, the results w/ TearFree enabled while better are not a complete fix - and some other issues appeared that weren't present with the "stock" P6 install (crashes similar to the ones that Chrome's hardware acceleration is known to cause with older hardware).  Old hardware probably to blame?  This hardware performs well w/ Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 installed on an SSD.  Main differences.... SSD and OS w/ different compositing manager (and of course the obvious different DE & ubuntu base)?  This hardware has also done ok with Ubuntu Mate 15.04.

To contrast this with my P5 install that is performing well - it has the same kernel / Xorg configuration as the T61 above (w/ P6 and the rolled back kernel/Xorg stack), but a newer Intel processor with better  graphics ( Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GHz). 

So at this point I am not sure that either of my examples regarding P6 and video tearing are reliable... I think I would need to install P6 on a system comparable (hardware wise)  to my good P5 system to really compare the two. 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
My instructions for rolling back the kernel and xorg stack were incomplete (there's still stuff left to do after the instructions above) .. you DID make sure you'd manually booted into the 3.13 kernel didn't you ?
(if you didn't manually boot into the 3.13 kernel and just let it boot by itself, it would have booted the 3.16kernel but now have had the wrong xorg stack)

If you roll back the kernel and xorg stack to 3.13 .. effectively you end up with Peppermint 5 with the Peppermint 6 software choices, so if hardware works in Peppermint 5 (with all updates applied), then it should work in Peppermint 6 with the kernel and xorg stack rolled back.

If you want to continue with the rollback (and have followed the instructions above) .. use the GRUB menu to boot into the 3.13 kernel, then come back here and post the output from:
Code: [Select]
uname -aand
dpkg -l | grep 3.16and
dpkg -l | grep lts-utopic

I can also tell you how to move back to the 3.16 kernel and xorg stack if you wish.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
My instructions for rolling back the kernel and xorg stack were incomplete (there's still stuff left to do after the instructions above) .. you DID make sure you'd manually booted into the 3.13 kernel didn't you ?

Yes, I did manually boot into the 3.13 kernel

If you roll back the kernel and xorg stack to 3.13 .. effectively you end up with Peppermint 5 with the Peppermint 6 software choices, so if hardware works in Peppermint 5 (with all updates applied), then it should work in Peppermint 6 with the kernel and xorg stack rolled back.

If you want to continue with the rollback (and have followed the instructions above)

Let me test P5 again on this particular piece of hardware (Thinkpad T61 w/ Intel Core 2 Duo) - before I take any more of your time.  If P5 results are positive I will reload P6 and roll back the kernel / Xorg stack  and post the output. 

I have run through a lot of Distro's on this laptop - P5 is working well w/ TearFree enabled on my main home pc, a custom build w/ Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GH - but I can't remember w/ 100% certainty that I was able to get P5 to work correctly on the T61 so let me verify that first. 

Thanks!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Okey Dokey :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I realize that this thread has been marked SOLVED, but I want to clear up some misinformation I posted earlier in this thread (that post has been edited). 

I previously suggested that I was unable to enable the Tear Free option for Intel Graphics w/ P6 - and it read as if the problem was an "across the board" issue with P6. 

That is not the case - it turns out I had two different systems that were problematic, but I have also successfully tested P6 on  a Dell Optiplex 760 w/ Intel Core 2 duo processor.   My current thought is that if P5 with Tear Free enabled works on your hardware, P6 is most likely going to work as well (but you will have to test it of course).

I believe the problem on one of my problematic systems may be the mobile cpu - it is a Thinkpad T61, and other LXDE based distro's are also problematic on it (I tested LXLE with the same results).  Strangely as I mentioned previously this system runs Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 very well - so instead of needing an older kernel and Xorg stack it may be the newer ones (kernel, Xorg, Mesa) that 15.04 uses that  is the fix.  Here are the Graphics specs from 15.04 on that system:

Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 driver: intel
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.5.2

I will post additional specs in the "what are you running Peppermint on" section :-)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
It also could have something to do with gtk3

IIRC MATE is all gtk2

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
IIRC MATE is all gtk2

That sounds right, since MATE is a continuation of Gnome 2, which used GTK2.