Choose style:

Author Topic: End session button is gone ... [SOLVED]  (Read 4219 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: End session button is gone ...
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 02:59:35 pm »
Multiple workspaces are a godsend on a netbook with limited screen real estate

but yeah I had to force myself to use them for a while before I "got" the benefits .. it's not immediately obvious when you come from Windows.

99% of the time it's just simple stuff like one workspace with an SSB with my email .. another for everything else.
(it's easier to swap between workspaces when I get a notification than keeping minimising/maximising ;) )

Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right

Simplez....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:04:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lswarte

• Trusted User
  • Once a noob, always a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 04:17:44 pm »
It's back!  :)

Thank you all very much!

Laurens Swarte
the Netherlands

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 04:22:36 pm »

but yeah I had to force myself to use them for a while before I "got" the benefits .. it's not immediately obvious when you come from Windows.

99% of the time it's just simple stuff like one workspace with an SSB with my email .. another for everything else.
(it's easier to swap between workspaces when I get a notification than keeping minimising/maximising ;) )

Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right

Simplez....
This is exactly how I use them too.  Coming from a Mac background, I was familiar with Spaces.  It's got the point with me, that when I have to use Windows.  My first complaint is, "where's the virtual desktops".  My sister in England discovered them, when I made her a custom Acer Aspire One with Peppermint Six installed.  She now says she doesn't understand how people use a computer without them.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »
Another thing I don't see the point of is having a pager on your panel or having multiple desktops. but that's probably just the residue of the longtime Windows user in me.  That's another thing I remove promptly after installation.
Hi scifidude79,

Multiple desktops a Windoze residue ?? M$Windoze never had multiple desktops. But now as Windoze 10 approaches I have read that they will be finally getting multiple desktops.

Or did you not mean M$ Windoze ?

Anyway, I use multple workspaces all the time. One I  use for my work programs (spreadsheets, writer, etc.), one is for web-browsing, or web-site updating etc., another is for working with music files (editing, creating etc.) and another is for graphics work. But a workspace indicator is not really that useful to me.

Regards,

-- Slim

Actually, I what I said was i don't see the point in multiple workspaces because I was a longtime Windows user.  IE: Windows doesn't have them, so I don't see the benefit.  And, after nearly six years using Linux, I still don't see a point.  That's what the Task Bar (Window List) panel applet is for, switching between open programs.  To me, that's way more convenient than switching between workspaces, especially if I want to put programs up side by side to copy one thing from one to the other.  But, that's just me.  I don't see a point in it and probably never will.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:28:28 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: End session button is gone ... [SOLVED]
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 05:31:43 pm »
Probably their main advantage is organisational ... multiple workspaces can used to easily organise running applications into groups

Like the segregation of multiple open applications, possibly even the same application opened multiple times but for different purposes

Say "work" and "personal" and "research" .. where mixing them all together on the same taskbar becomes confusing.

with the added benefit of when your boss comes around .. Ctrl+Alt+Left and you're on your "Work" desktop ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 05:34:05 pm »
with the added benefit of when your boss comes around .. Ctrl+Alt+Left and you're on your "Work" desktop ;)

Not an issue for me.  ;)

Besides, if your boss is also versed in Linux and sees that you have programs running on another workspace (because they show up on the pager icon) and tells you to switch to said workspace to see what it is, you're screwed.  :P

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 05:50:51 pm »
Who says you need to display the pager .. and truthfully, how many bosses are Linux proficient  ;)

Doesn't change the organisational benefits .. I may have multiple web browsers open one for "work"one for "personal, and one for research for work, but I want to keep that one separate from the "work" instance .. if I have them all open on the same desktop/taskbar I lose track of which is which, specially when taskbbar items continually move around as windows are opened and closed.
Same can be said for images/documents/pretty  much anything .. including switching between an open full screen game and your work .
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:57:00 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 06:02:23 pm »
Cool, it works for you.  However, it still doesn't do a thing for me.  But, like anything in Linux, it's an option.  I can have 1 virtual desktop, or I can have a bunch of them.  It's that kind of freedom of choice that we love, right?   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 06:21:58 pm »
Oh sure, I'm not saying everyone should use them, just that they do have their benefits for some.

I didn't use them for ages .. but now I do have a "work" desktop (usually just means my work email open fullscreen), and an "everything else" desktop .. so I'm not a heavy user of them, but it does help me stay organised when the taskbar becomes cluttered, and believe me I tend to have dozens of applications and file manager instances open at any one time so the taskbar on my main workspace becomes nearly impossible to track quite quickly
(in fact I suppose I should use them more)

Once you find a use for them, you don't easily go back .. but that doesn't mean everyone will have (or find) a need for them.

As you say .. availability and/of choice .. the Linux way:)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:24:46 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 06:44:21 pm »

I thought you might get a chuckle out of this.   :)

I used to run 9 workspaces, before U+1 Testing got so blotted - and, yes, I used them all sometimes.

Plus, it shows the custom iconset (I was talking about)...

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 07:12:37 pm »
Cool, it works for you.  However, it still doesn't do a thing for me.  But, like anything in Linux, it's an option.  I can have 1 virtual desktop, or I can have a bunch of them.  It's that kind of freedom of choice that we love, right?   :D
Exactly  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.