Author Topic: Peppermint 6 installation error: minimal bash line  (Read 2361 times)

Offline SuplexCity

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Peppermint 6 installation error: minimal bash line
« on: July 04, 2015, 10:06:14 pm »
I've tried installing Peppermint 6 several times, but during the initial reboot after each installation the following message comes onscreen

For one of the install attempts, I encrypted the HD and the home folder. After receiving the bash line message again, I did some googling and found a thread on here titled Help!!! grub is asking for bash command and won't load peppermint os 5 [SOLVED]

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=1269.0

The thread contained the following repair instructions:

If Peppermint is to be the only OS on the internal HDD I suggest you format the drive by swapping from  GTP  to an msdos style partition table.

BE AWARE - The following will COMPLETELY erase the hard drive

Boot to the LiveUSB

Fire up GPArted (menu > System Tools > GParted)

In GParted, make sure you're operating on the internal HDD .. then select

Device > Create partition Table

then choose an msdos partition table.

If it says it cannot continue due to partitions being mounted .. clcik the swap partition and select "swapoff", then try again.

Once you've created the msdos partition table .. try installing Peppermint 5 again.

I tried the guide above, to no avail.

I then used the boot repair tool instructions from here:

http://itsfoss.com/fix-minimal-bash-line-editing-supported-grub-error-linux/

Still, no luck. The next link contains a log of the failed boot repair:

http://paste2.org/9afV166h

Can anyone help me out here? I'd really like to use Peppermint as my daily driver, and this is presenting quite the barrier to my doing so.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Peppermint 6 installation error: minimal bash line
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 01:02:13 am »
Hi SuplexCity, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  Your issue appears to revolve around UEFI and Secure Boot.  This is something newer computer have to replace the older BIOS system.  The way around this hurdle is to go into the UEFI immediately after booting your machine.  This is done by holding down a key, or combination of keys after you switch on you machine.  I know that sounds very vague.  Annoyingly, there's no standardization here.  It's dependent on the manufacturer and the model of computer  :-\.   In there somewhere, there'll be a toggle switch that switches Secure Boot to Legacy Boot.  Once this done, Peppermint Six should boot up.  I've not actually had to do this myself.  So if you need further assistance,  Let us know and someone with a better knowledge of this will get you through the process.  Good luck with your installation  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline WaltH

• Know Enough To Be Dangerous
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 09:21:06 pm »
I have the same problem. Secure Boot is disabled and CSM Enabled is set to 'Always." However, I still get the same message that SuplexCity sees. The only way I can boot into Peppermint 6 is via USB. I have tried installing several different times, and the last time simply gave over the entire hard drive to Peppermint. Off and on, I have spent more than six hours today trying to get this working.

I did have Manjaro working on this machine, so I know it's possible to get Linux running on it, but I'm beginning to think it is not possible to get Peppermint running on it. The frustration is building, and I don't know where to look or what to do next.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 05:33:52 am »
There's currently a Peppermint 6 respin with UEFI and Secureboot support for the 64bit version under testing .. hopefully it'll be released VERY soon.

Thanks for your patience :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:38:29 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 05:49:02 am »
There's currently a Peppermint 6 respin with UEFI and Secureboot support for the 64bit version under testing .. hopefully it'll be released VERY soon.

Thanks for your patience.
Keeping my fingers crossed. If, in the meantime, I were to use the 32-bit version, would I easily be able to switch over to the 64-bit version without having to wipe my entire hard drive clean? When I tried Peppermint previously (version 2 or 3, as I recall), it seemed that there was no easy way to simply install to a single partition and leave an existing home partition intact. That did still seem to be the case when I tried to install the 64-bit version of Peppermint 6, although that may have had something to do with EFI and the way it caused my hard drive to be partitioned when I installed Manjaro.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 06:11:26 am »
@WaltH

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question .. but if we're to get into specifics, I'd ask that you start your on topic, as the specifics may not apply to the OP ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:29:29 am »
@WaltH

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question .. but if we're to get into specifics, I'd ask that you start your on topic, as the specifics may not apply to the OP ;)
I can certainly do that. I asked here because I got this thread confused with a similar thread where the OP was trying to install the 64-bit version and ended up having to install the 32-bit version because of UEFI. Sorry for the mix-up. I'll try again in that thread as it seems more fitting there. Thanks.

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 06:58:49 am »

Thanks for your patience :)
Any idea of when this respin might be coming out? Right now, I'm running the 64-bit version of antiX, which gave me no trouble installing, but I'd be very tempted to take another look at Peppermint when this comes out. Thanks.