Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 6 on MintCast 227  (Read 4307 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Peppermint 6 on MintCast 227
« on: July 03, 2015, 05:37:21 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:40:07 pm by PCNetSpec, Reason: corrected title spelling »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Peppermint 6 on MintCasr 227
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 06:52:27 pm »
I do like the fact that nearly every time someone says something even slightly negative, they've either missed/misunderstood something or are just wrong  :)

In this review, one of the guys says to get to the file manager it's buried a couple of levels deep in the menu .. menu > File Manager .. isn't a couple of menus deep (guess he didn't have it in front of him)

they also seem confused that we're a striped down distro but include games ("even if they don't take much disk space") .. they missed that they are  web app SSB's, so aren't just small they're pretty much non existent.

and the one guy doesn't get SSB's at all .. he thinks they should open like ChromeOS in tabs (and even seems to think we're not being honest by "dressing them up that way"), totally missing the point that they are MEANT to open in separate Windows so you can have 2 (or more) open and visible on the desktop at any one time like you would local apps .. you wouldn't want say LibreOffice, GIMP and VLC to be in tabs so you could only ever have one visible at a tine would you ? .. this is not Android  :-\

Oh, I'm also pretty sure "Calculate MD5 Sum" isn't in the Mint right-click context menu ;)

All in all a very positive review, both of them say they're keeping it :) .. few mistakes, but I guess nobody is going to fully get to grips with any distro in a few days at least it wasn't a half hour in a VM test.

I'm quite happy with that :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 07:09:17 pm »
Well, I think our Minty cousins are impressed.  It's a shame they didn't realize that the games are just weblinks and aren't locally installed packages.  It's also a testament to how well the SSBs integrate into menu system; to the point people can't tell the difference.  I've noticed that other reviews fail to see the easy main menu link to the file manager.  Maybe in future releases, it needs to be flashing in neon.  Or, have a hooter go off when the mouse cursor gets close to it.  All in all though, this review has told people that there is a genuinely accessible and easy to use lightweight distribution, that's very progressive, lightning quick and highly customisable to the end user's needs and style.  Not bad - not bad at all  ;)!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:23:07 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Peppermint 6 on MintCast 227
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 07:41:25 pm »
Oh, and how dare they not like my choice of wallpaper .. I'm deeply offended  :D

Beaches and sunsets  :o

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 07:46:16 pm »
It's a lot better than the default wallpaper in Peppermint 5.   ;)  Actually, it's not bad.  I never worry too much about default wallpaper because it's simple to customize.

The File Manager thing is hilarious. (I didn't look at the video, I'm going by what you said)  Yeah, it's buried so deep.  You open the menu and... There it is!  The hilarious thing is, they probably just didn't look down that far.  ;)  I was running P5 a while back testing something and I kept trying to hit that, but it's not there.  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 07:48:15 pm »
Yes, PCNetSpec, that program was fun!  ;)

Right before these two discussed Peppermint 6, these guys talked about DuckDuckGo.  I have to say I usually use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine --followed by StartPage and Ixquick.  It has to be more private than Google Search, and I believe Peppermint made a terrific choice going with DuckDuckGo.

Now, in the show, there were some comments on our menu --which boiled down to it wasn't complicated enough.  I'm of a different opinion.  I don't want to see it like Mint's Cinnamon menu.  I've always considered Peppermint's menu to be one of its nicest, and most user-friendly features.  Peppermint's menu is very simple with which to work.  Yes, if we follow Windows, it would be nice to be able to type the beginning of a word, and then have it give us the program that we are looking for.  But, the downside of that would be is that a Windows menu is still way over-complicated, and even with the virtue of typing a few letters and finding the program you'd like, that is no guarantee you're not going to have a tough time trying to do what you want to do after you find it anyway.  The new Windows 8.1 is very, very, complex.  And as for MATE (which I generally like) the one thing I dislike the most about Ubuntu MATE is its menu!  MATE's menu is like a guessing game show which has three doors.  You have to guess behind which door is the menu item for you are seeking, and that's not always so easy.   :-\  No, I prefer Peppermint's "old fashioned" menu to MATE's also.

The Chromebook comment was interesting.  Chromebooks are becoming the default devices for more and more people.  Is there really a place where one can go to find another distro to put on a Chromebook?  Did I hear that right?   If so, I think it would be great if there was a way to run Peppermint from a Chromebook.  I had no luck trying to do this last winter when I had tried.  Even booting Peppermint from a flash drive on a Chromebook would be a plus.  Maybe this is doable now, I don't know.

Overall a good show.  Of course, these guys had to find something on which to nitpick.  Try wallpaperswide.com if you're looking for a beach sunset photo for your default wallpaper!  But, still, see!  Peppermint is going onto one guy's mom's computer anyway.  That says the world to me.  I came away thinking that both of these guys like Peppermint a lot --especially how we avail ourselves of any open source program that works.  These guys are right about this:   We at Peppermint know, unlike, say, Windows, that we at Peppermint do not have to rediscover the wheel. We acknowledge the that wheel has already been invented, and that it is also open source! ;D

Heck, if it works well, and it's open source, why not use it?

perknh
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:12:32 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 08:00:15 pm »
I'm with you on the menu, perknh.  I think Peppermint's menu is just right.  In fact, I think we had a discussion about this not too long ago in another thread.  I don't like menus with all that nonsense going on.  To me, a menu is there solely for me to access my stuff.  I don't need extra steps to get to my stuff.  Heck, with some programs, I can't even be bothered to use the menu, they're on my panel.  ;)  Menus like what Cinnamon and KDE have by default are nice for others, but I like to keep things simple.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 08:16:16 pm »
The File Manager thing is hilarious. (I didn't look at the video, I'm going by what you said)  Yeah, it's buried so deep.  You open the menu and... There it is!  The hilarious thing is, they probably just didn't look down that far.  ;)

I have a theory here......

Remember these guys are Linux Mint guys

In our top level menu it's called "File Manager"

whereas In
menu > Accessories
it's called "Files" .. which is what it's called in Mint.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 09:46:17 pm »
It's a lot better than the default wallpaper in Peppermint 5.   ;)  Actually, it's not bad.  I never worry too much about default wallpaper because it's simple to customize.

I'm using Peppermint Cold right now, but what does it matter?  You can customize your wallpaper within a couple of minutes.  :-X

Heck, with some programs, I can't even be bothered to use the menu, they're on my panel.  ;)  Menus like what Cinnamon and KDE have by default are nice for others, but I like to keep things simple.

Exactly!  I'd say 90% of the time we're just using the Application Launch Bar , and 90% of that time we're just using the browser!  These guys, however, did convince me to use Ice at least once.  Although I'm not a big Facebook fan; Facebook can, and often does, serve a purpose --especially for inexpensive international communication.  I'll suffer my way though making an apt, or an SSB*, for Facebook one of these days.  ;)

*I hope I'm understanding the concept behind Ice correctly.  For practical purposes Ice creates an apt.  It gets you directly where you want to go through an application --and with the right icon.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:58:07 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:21:19 pm »
The File Manager thing is hilarious. (I didn't look at the video, I'm going by what you said)  Yeah, it's buried so deep.  You open the menu and... There it is!  The hilarious thing is, they probably just didn't look down that far.  ;)

I have a theory here......

Remember these guys are Linux Mint guys

In our top level menu it's called "File Manager"

whereas In
menu > Accessories
it's called "Files" .. which is what it's called in Mint.

Is that what it's called in Mint?  I haven't ran Mint in ages.  I didn't even know it was called that in the Accessories menu because I never use that one.  I use the one that says "File Manager" on the main menu.   :D

Online Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 03:25:26 am »
Hi perknh,

When you call up the Run dialog using the keys <Alt>F2 (I don't remember if that is the default key combination or one that I set up myself ?) and type in the first couple of letters for a program it will give you either a list of possible programs or sometimes the one you want (if it is the only one that begins with those few letters). Not much different than the related (or same) function in other distros  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 08:54:24 am »
When you call up the Run dialog using the keys <Alt>F2 (I don't remember if that is the default key combination or one that I set up myself ?) and type in the first couple of letters for a program it will give you either a list of possible programs or sometimes the one you want (if it is the only one that begins with those few letters). Not much different than the related (or same) function in other distros  ;)

You did get the right combination, Slim.  You're right, functionally this accomplishes the same goal.   And, of course, in our menu, Run is conveniently located at the bottom above Logout too.  Easy peasy--and I had forgotten all about this!

Slim, thanks for the F key tip.  ;)

perknh

Online Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 11:06:56 am »
Hi perknh,

You are very welcome:)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
All in all a very positive review, both of them say they're keeping it :) .. few mistakes, but I guess nobody is going to fully get to grips with any distro in a few days at least it wasn't a half hour in a VM test.

I'm quite happy with that :)

Agreed!

My takeaway is, 'Scott' is all in.  Anyone providing tech services on mom's computer has a vested interest in finding the lightest, fastest, most intuitive distro possible.  Put another way, he's got skin in the game.   ;D

Joe, on the other hand, has to provide an alternate point of view, so as not to appear to be suck-holes.  Personally, I *think* he's feigning ignorance, for the sake of discussion.

I don't think it's giving anything away to say, we started churning a few ideas, immediately after Peppermint Six was released.  It's an evolutionary process.

Podcasts and articles, like this, provide critical elements in making future determinations.   For that, I would like to thank Scott & Joe.

Keep up the good work, bruhs !!!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 02:01:10 pm »
I don't think it's giving anything away to say, we started churning a few ideas, immediately after Peppermint Six was released.  It's an evolutionary process.

Podcasts and articles, like this, provide critical elements in making future determinations.   For that, I would like to thank Scott & Joe.

What he said .. EXACTLY :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec