Author Topic: Linux bids for UAV world domination by enslaving future skybot army  (Read 1283 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Cortana is my #1 reason for never ever touching Windows 10.  It's not the only reason, but it tops the list.  It sounds like spyware to me. --scifidude79

I know it's a colorful title below --an attention grabber for sure-- but this is one that me the most willies.  No matter how I see the future unfolding, I cannot imagine that our police forces will not be making some use of drone technology within the next 10 years.

It may all may seen fun at first, you know, a little bit entertaining, watching a mini-drone going up and down the street -- assisting with police surveillance.  And this I'm sure will all develop simultaneously with ground robotics for both policing and fire control too.  Please, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every aspect of this will be bad, and I'm certain this future technology will save many good people's lives.  My concern is that with all new technology, there will be big downsides too.  I cannot imagine how this new technology will not be misused at times -- against the very citizenry for which it was employed to assist.  And, that aspect of this new drone and robotic technology is what gives me the creeps.

Linux bids for UAV world domination by enslaving future skybot army: Dronecode initiative gains momentum

by Lester Haines for The Register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/29/dronecode_linux/
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Linux bids for UAV world domination by enslaving future skybot army
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:18:20 am »
Where do you live?  (just curious)  If you live in the US, odds are that the Police are already using drones or will be shortly.  I live in Dayton, OH in the US and the local cops are all proud of the drones they're testing.  They were showing them off on the news a few months back.

Near where my sister lives (near Washington, DC) cops don't even sit on the highway and wait for you to go speeding by anymore.  The speed limits are enforced by aircraft.  They get a radar scan of the car and the speed it's going, get a scan of the license plate and mail the owner a ticket.  They can get a whole batch of speeders that way, VS the cop in the car, who can get one at a time.  There are other places in the US that do this too.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:06:37 am »
Hi scifidude79,

I live the city of Dover, which is in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire.  We have a few some cameras around --not many.  Fortunately we have a really decent police and fire department, and our community practices community policing. (This city even has two very well liked mounted police personnel.)  The police here harass and bother nobody.  New Hampshire's worse underground epidemic right now is that of cheap heroin.  I had a crew working for me several years ago, and one of the young men who worked within this crew died from a heroin overdose.  When he died he left a beautiful young daughter behind, as well as a very sad father.  Heroin has become a serous underground problem here.  The reason for this is that apparently the prices for this drug have fallen so low in NYC that the traffickers of the drug have moved into New England in order raise the price of the drug and increase profits.  The cost of using heroin here --so it is said-- for a one time use is less than the cost of six pack of beer.  So crime, when it does occur in New Hampshire, is usually related to drug use --and sometimes alcohol.

I assure you though, drones and robotics will be coming one day to peaceful Dover, New Hampshire too.

A little about Dover, New Hampshire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover%2C_New_Hampshire

Near where my sister lives (near Washington, DC) cops don't even sit on the highway and wait for you to go speeding by anymore.  The speed limits are enforced by aircraft.  They get a radar scan of the car and the speed it's going, get a scan of the license plate and mail the owner a ticket.  They can get a whole batch of speeders that way, VS the cop in the car, who can get one at a time.  There are other places in the US that do this too. --scifidude79

One day all of these things will be done by drones.  I'm pretty certain of that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:22:31 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:39:11 pm »
I've been to Dover, Delaware, but not New Hampshire.  ;)

We used to have red light cameras in Ohio.  Those were big money makers for Police departments.  However, the Ohio House passed a bill a while back requiring traffic lights with red light cameras to have one officer present, which pretty much killed the program for most cities, as they can't afford to have officers present at every light with a camera.  This was after much public outcry that the cameras weren't fair and sometimes ticketed drivers going through a yellow light that turned red as they were going through, which a human officer wouldn't do.  I'd imagine the same kind of public outcry will greet the use of drones, it has in some areas already.  Many people are already complaining about the drones invading their privacy.  So, it depends on how much public outcry affects the use (or not) of these devices as to whether they will be allowed to be used.  There are already laws in place governing the use of private drones in Ohio.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 01:26:32 pm »
I'd imagine the same kind of public outcry will greet the use of drones, it has in some areas already.  Many people are already complaining about the drones invading their privacy.  So, it depends on how much public outcry affects the use (or not) of these devices as to whether they will be allowed to be used.  There are already laws in place governing the use of private drones in Ohio.

Yeah, it's just a matter of time before there are lots and lots of these things around.  I can see from reading where you've been that things are moving along even faster than I had imagined.  Ten years, I believe, is a very safe estimate in regards to the use of both drones and robotics for police and/or fire departments in the United States.  ;)