Author Topic: My Sympathy Goes Out to Windows 8 and 8.1 Users  (Read 7201 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: My Sympathy Goes Out to Windows 8 and 8.1 Users
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 11:10:24 am »
Think Win8/8.1 felt experimental ?

Interesting take on Win10
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/29/windows_10_is_due_in_one_month_will_it_be_ready/
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 12:57:48 pm »
I throw up in my mouth a little every time I see that menu.

So, from what I'm reading, Windows 7 users will get the upgrade whether or not they want it.  That freaking sucks.  (I imagine  most 8 users will welcome the change)  And, those peoples' PCs may break.  Wonderful for them.  I'm so glad I don't run Windows 7 anymore.

Though, from the looks of things, I have another update I don't want to my XBOX 360 dash to look forward to.   ::)  I guess it can't get any worse than the Win8 style one they have now, though.  I miss the interface it had prior to the Win8 release.

Online 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 03:42:12 pm »
My laptop has started slowing down, it's only 3 months old and has 6 GB of RAM.

And it is not that CPU / RAM usage is most ever above 50%. It is just slow.

I have very high hopes for Windows 10, although I enjoy Peppermint on my desktop more than I enjoy running Windows - I do need to run Windows programs from time to time.

I installed Windows XP inside a virtual machine in Peppermint 6, unfortunately I was unable to install Corel Draw in that, so I am stuck with using Windows for now.
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »
Yeah, Virtual Machines can have issues.  Some software just won't run inside a virtual environment.  When I first tried Ubuntu, I tried running XP in a virtual machine to play one of my games.  The XP install went great and the game installed fine but, when I went to run the game, it told me that it wouldn't run because of the virtual disk, that a real disk was required.  ::)

My laptop has started slowing down, it's only 3 months old and has 6 GB of RAM.

A buddy of mine who runs Windows 7 commented on this recently.  He thinks that Microsoft is intentionally messing up the updates to make people want to switch to Windows 10.  He may be onto something.  That wouldn't even be the shadiest thing they've ever done by a long shot.

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 04:50:14 pm »
Did you read some of the comments after the article?  One series of comments was about "the supported lifetime of the device."  I used to think that that was called a warranty.  I was thinking that M$ were taking a page from Chrome OS with its continual updates.  Now I'm not so sure what to think.  :-\
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »
Yeah that does raise a lot of questions doesn't it.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »
I didn't read the comments, but I did find that part of the article a bit puzzling.  So, if Microsoft is continuing support during the life of a device, does that mean they now offer never ending support for their OS?  Because, that's what it sounds like to me.  It's very oddly worded.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 08:30:45 pm »
Here's how I read it...

Win10 will effectively be a non device transferable rolling release, but "support" will only be available for the "EXPECTED life of the device" .. not the ACTUAL life of the device.

So Microsoft get to stipulate when your device becomes obsolete.

Now whether that means your device will stop getting free updates .. or if it will continue to get updates but just not "support" remains to be seen.

Microsoft "support" isn't a big deal for home users .. but it's a VERY big deal for businesses

and if Microsoft are the ones that set the "expected life cycle" of devices, this gives Microsoft massive power over OEM's

How's this for a possible scenario....

Microsoft say to Dell, hey stop installing Ubuntu .. Dell say NO .. Microsoft drop the "expected life cycle" of Dell PC's to 3 months making them unsellable..........
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:37:07 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 09:25:35 pm »
Yeah, that was what I was afraid it meant.  Not afraid for myself, of course, but afraid for people I know who like and use Windows.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 02:41:31 am »
I'm looking at this as the all new "service" orientated Windows.  When they speak of, "expected life" of a device.  I don't think this means, "your time's up matey.  To continue using our product, go buy a new computer".  I think what's going to happen, is each machine will have a support period set by MS.  This is the, "expected life period".  Once this period has expired, you'll receive the option to continue support on a paid subscription basis.  Obviously there'll be home user rates and business rates.  Updates won't be affected by this.  These'll continue throughout the operational life of the OS; irrespective of the subscription status.  This way, MS can turn Windows 10 into a cash cow.  They don't want to go through the huge revenue losses again caused by businesses holding on like grim death to XP and even Vista.  For businesses, this was far more cost effective compared to paying the upgrade license fees for Windows 7 or 8.0 and 8.1.  This way, MS is able to spread the cost of using Windows 10.  They aim to keep businesses sweet while cashing in on their product.  For MS, it's a win win situation.  This is the way I see it  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 02:56:14 am »
The way I see it:  I'm glad I gave up Windows.  Peppermint is 100% free and I have all the great support I'll ever need right here.   :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 03:22:44 am »
The way I see it:  I'm glad I gave up Windows.  Peppermint is 100% free and I have all the great support I'll ever need right here.   :D
Amen to that  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 05:27:55 am »
I'm looking at this as the all new "service" orientated Windows.  When they speak of, "expected life" of a device.  I don't think this means, "your time's up matey.  To continue using our product, go buy a new computer".  I think what's going to happen, is each machine will have a support period set by MS.  This is the, "expected life period".  Once this period has expired, you'll receive the option to continue support on a paid subscription basis.  Obviously there'll be home user rates and business rates.  Updates won't be affected by this.  These'll continue throughout the operational life of the OS; irrespective of the subscription status.  This way, MS can turn Windows 10 into a cash cow.  They don't want to go through the huge revenue losses again caused by businesses holding on like grim death to XP and even Vista.  For businesses, this was far more cost effective compared to paying the upgrade license fees for Windows 7 or 8.0 and 8.1.  This way, MS is able to spread the cost of using Windows 10.  They aim to keep businesses sweet while cashing in on their product.  For MS, it's a win win situation.  This is the way I see it  ;).

Yep that's exactly what I *think* is the plan, but you MUST notice that if it's Microsoft that sets the "expected life" of a device this course also gives them the same unhealthy power over OEMs that the "Windows Certified" sticker once did.

One other thing .. this also plays into the idea that when Microsoft said "hey Windows 7 and 8 users, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for the first year", what they actually meant was "you'll have to start paying us after the first year", not "it's free permanently, but only if you upgrade during the first year" which is how most people have understood it.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 12:02:29 pm »
Yeah, you gotta figure Microsoft is going to make money off of this deal somehow.  Everyone knows they're hurting as a company.  Win8 was  a bust, their crappy tablets and phones haven't done much better and even the XBOX One isn't doing as well as they'd like.  As it is, they already ticked off plenty of potential buyers with that thing.  First, they wanted it to be always online and they also were planning to charge a fee for "registering" a used game.  They did away with those, but a lot of people still wouldn't buy the console until they finally released a version where you didn't have to buy that stupid Kinect camera with it.  Not all of us want that.  So, yeah, M$ isn't doing so hot these days.  Giving away "free" copies of Windows 10 will put them back in a lot of peoples' good graces, at least until the other shoe drops.  What you guys are proposing sounds exactly like the kind of shady crap I expect from them.  Hook all of these users and businesses with Windows 10 for free and then, once the year is up, sock it to them.  Of course, many home users won't care, but many will also think the service plan is something they need and sign up for it.  And, of course, business will need it.

It's possible we're misreading this, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're not.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 01:44:25 pm »
It's the lack of solid info one way or the other coming from Microsoft that worries me the most .. You'd think they'd want to put this kind of speculation to bed.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec