Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint's DuckDuckGo Search Engine in Partnership with Yandex and Bing!  (Read 3312 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hello friends,

I've always liked Peppermint's default search engine, DuckDuckGo.  And, I always got a kick out of the fact that it was in partnership with Yandex.  ;D  Yandex, by the way, is a perfectly fine search engine in and of itself.  But, today, as I continued to configure a little notebook computer which is going to my grandson in Panama, I was surprised to see, that when I configured for language and region, that our DuckDuckGo search engine, configured for Latin America, is now n partnership with BIng!

Of course, when you think about it, this makes sense.   Yandex hasn't expanded yet to include Spanish language support, and Microsoft, and therefore Bing, still have the bulk of the market share in Latin America.

If was fun for me to see who becomes bedfellows with whom in this increasing fast-paced, ever-changing, global market.

Peppermiint, DuckDuckGo, and Bing --who'd have thunk it?  :o
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
It just goes to show you that no matter how hard you try you just can not totally stop using Microsoft and or Winders, the greatest OS ever made...  :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
It just goes to show you that no matter how hard you try you just can not totally stop using Microsoft and or Winders, the greatest OS ever made...  :P

Well, only if you're searching in Spanish.   ;D

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
That's interesting, you are never really free from Microsoft s grip

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
That's interesting, you are never really free from Microsoft s grip

Hello 10i,

Yes, that's right, and especially in Latin America.  Over the last few yeas, Google has been slowly making its way into Latin American tech culture; and, of course, there have always been a few savvy Lenixites down there.  Still, for the most part, Microsoft rules Latin America tech culture, and nearly all of the people within this culture have a very difficult time giving up their Hotmail accounts or Windows.  For better or worse, Hotmail's Spanish language spellchecker remains unsurpassed.  Google's spellchecker loses on this front by a long shot.

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Not that MS is a bad company, but it is a good thing to have a choice.

I used to be a die hard Windows user,  today I use Peppermint and Windows 8.1, I am really hoping that Windows 10 is better than their current offering.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I used to be a die hard Windows user,  today I use Peppermint and Windows 8.1, I am really hoping that Windows 10 is better than their current offering.

Hi 10i,

Hey, like you said earlier, it's good to have a choice.  I've heard that Windows 10 is supposed to bring back some of the features that Windows 7 users used to have --and had liked!  I hope this will be the case for Windows users.

In our case here, we went from Web TV, Windows Vista, a constant use of Peppermint on a Stick, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Peppermint 4, Peppermint 5, and, now, Peppermint 6 and Xubuntu, one Android phone, and a Chromebook! (We don't use our Android tablet any longer, either --thank goodness!)  My household gave up on Windows completely after Windows 8.1.  (Windows 8 and 8.1 are both pretty, but I don't trust them at all.  From what I could see, their firewalls are holier than the sacred scriptures of Planet Earth --and I can longer stand AV programs at all.  We just had to say goodbye to Windows.

I've now put Peppermint 5 and Peppermint 6 on five computers --from one notebook, two laptops, and a couple of desktops.  (One 11-year-old computer I know will only work well with Xubuntu 14.04.2.  :-\)

Personally, 10i, I believe Windows is a company on its way out.  I also believe Chrome OS is the next OS that will be taking over a large share of the portable device market with Chromebooks. This being said, I don't believe GNU/Linux will ever go away.  GNU/Linux is so diverse, and with so many uses --from servers to robotics to keeping older laptops and desktops going -- I don't see it going anywhere at all.  I have yet to see anything that beats Peppermint for ease of use, lightness on resources, and complete range of function.  Chrome OS isn't where Peppermint is yet when it comes to full functionality --but, from what I can see, it is developing very, very rapidly towards full functionality.

I don't want to see Chrome OS to take over.  Like you said above:

...it is a good thing to have a choice. --10i

That is so true.  ;)

perknh

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
Windows 10 will have Cortana.  Cortana "learns about your computing habits."  Sounds like spyware to me.  But, I hope Windows users are happy with the release, just don't expect it to be as popular as Windows XP or Windows 7.  Microsoft fired the dev team from Windows 7 when they made Windows 8 so that they could go in a "new direction."  That direction sucked.  So, unless they re-hired those people, it won't be all that.  From what I've seen, it looks like a blend of 7 and 8.

I finally dropped that OS family and I'm quite happy about it.  Peppermint suits my needs quite well.  And, if there comes a time where I want something different, I can always put a different distribution on.

As for the topic at hand, I don't see why the search thing is a big deal.  As far as I can tell, Bing is a decent enough search engine.  It's not like you're running full Windows when you search for something in the Spanish version of DDG.  Plus, if doing this means better language support, then it's for the best.  One thing Microsoft has always had is great language support.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
[...] today I use Peppermint and Windows 8.1, I am really hoping that Windows 10 is better than their current offering[...]

My secretary called me at home, the other night, and said our winders 8 (at work) quit working - the license expired (I assume he meant 'service agreement)' - wanted my permission to spend $250 for a 3-year extension.  They said they would update him to winders 10, clean-up the drive, update the virus protector, et cetera.

I told him, go ahead.  It's the cost_of_doing_business.  I forgot to call him back and see how he liked winders 10.

I am soooo glad I'm not on the winders ferris wheel !!!  :)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
As far as I can tell, Bing is a decent enough search engine[...]

Heh!  I had to ban Bing from my production server. 

OMG!!!  They would send their bots over in waves - dragging the whole network down.  If they were searching for a bad link, it didn't matter - they'd just keep hammering away.   :P

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I am soooo glad I'm not on the winders ferris wheel !!!  :)

I've read that some people still need to use Windows for particular purposes here and there.  Whatever those reasons are, apparently my Mrs. perknh and I don't have them.  We don't use Windows at all in our home any longer.  In fact, Mrs. perknh has said we will never use Windows again. "No. Never!" are her exact words concerning Windows --so that's that!  ;)

VinDSL, you mentioned earlier that you had to ban Bing.  I'm hoping DuckDuckGo will soften Bing's wayward ways quite a bit when my grandson begins using Peppermint down in Panama.  I suspect that DuckDuckGo will bring Bing more into line with the way things ought to be concerning search and privacy.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
Usually, if people are really attached to a particular program or need it for work, they'll run Windows at least part of the time.  I finally managed to let go of the last of my Windows software just recently, but I can understand where some people aren't quite ready for that.  Though, even though I don't run Windows anymore on any level, I've been playing a game on my XBOX 360 the past few days.  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
That seems to be it:  A lot of people either have to have Windows for work, or they live in an environment where others can't entirely give up Windows for one reason or another.  I don't have anything to do with gaming, but I hear, and read, that Windows is a big gaming platform.*

Source:
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/167253-gabe-newell-made-windows-a-viable-gaming-platform-and-linux-is-next

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
Yeah, Windows is the best personal computer platform for gaming.  Though, Linux gaming has come a long way, especially since I started on Ubuntu back in 2009.  Back then, there were games that were in the repositories and a few available for download, but nothing like Steam had come to Linux back then.  But, then Win8 came along and Gabe Newell was worried that it would no longer be a good platform for gaming, so he started an effort to bring Steam to Linux.  All of the games made by Valve (the company that owns Steam) are available on Linux, along with some other third party games.  Newer stuff is starting to come out for all three, Windows, Mac and Linux.  Plus, Valve is getting ready to release their own Linux based operating system and some game console style computers, so you know they're going to be pushing for more games for it.  Aside from Steam, there are also other sites selling games for Linux now too, like Desura (which actually came to Linux before Steam) and GOG.  So, yes, Windows gaming rocks, but Linux gaming is coming along nicely.  I wish the 13 or so games that I have in my Steam library that are Windows only would be ported to Linux.  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I wish the 13 or so games that I have in my Steam library that are Windows only would be ported to Linux.  ;)

Sounds like that day may be coming soon.  ;)