Choose style:

Author Topic: Sound shortcut keys not working with P6  (Read 5144 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Sound shortcut keys not working with P6
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 11:02:12 am »
One key recovery has nothing to do with this  :-\

You're not listening to (or not understanding) what's being explained here .. I'm going to bow out of this topic, it's all getting rather convoluted in an attempt to fix an issue that's not really necessary .. I take it you have a perfectly working volume slider in the system tray, just use that ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P6
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 11:18:54 am »
One key recovery has nothing to do with this  :-\

Why are you dinging me for a situation I didn't even bring up in the first place?  I was not the one to bring up BIOS.  And with my laptop the BIOS is accessed from the Novo Recovery Button.  If you guys want to know about my BIOS, then that naturally leads to the Novo Button, at least with the Lenovo Z50-75.

Right now the stalemate is caused by you guys saying that my BIOS is easy to access no matter what, and then me trying the Novo/BIOS command and then coming back in here and saying it's not working.

You guys are the experts.  I'm the novice.  I took on the challenge of using Peppermint 6 based on YOUR encouragement last week, and promising you'd be here when I had questions and needed your help.

Where it stands now: I still have 3 or 4 dead hot keys.  Lenovo BIOS doesn't open with Linux.  I still need help making the hot keys work.  (Added bonus for finding a way to bypass Lenovo and access BIOS anyway.)

Maybe to you this seems like a trivial thing, no big deal, just use different widgets to get the job done.  But from my side, a P6 developer and forum Mod I trusted just told me to fuck off because he thinks my piddly problem isn't worth his time.  So what happens tomorrow when something else comes up?  How many hoops will I have to jump through then?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:38:22 am by magicchance »
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 11:57:16 am »
from my side, a P6 developer and forum Mod I trusted just told me to **** off because he thinks my piddly problem isn't worth his time.

That wasn't my intention at all .. and please watch your language

Where it stands now: I still have 3 or 4 dead hot keys.  Lenovo BIOS doesn't open with Linux.

This is plain wrong, and you're not accepting that fact .. whether the BIOS opens or not has NOTHING to do with the OS .. you should be able to access the BIOS without an operating system AT ALL, otherwise how would Lenovo change the settings prior to installing Windows

If your BIOS isn't accessible by the method described in the Lenovo manual, then either:-

a) you're doing it wrong

b) their manual is incorrect (but there WILL still be a way to access the BIOS)

c) there's a hardware failure

in case (a) it's pointless continuing if you're refusing to listen to us

in case (b) if Lenovo can't describe how to access their own BIOS, how are we supposed to know

in case (c) there's nothing we can do

In ANY case, there's no moving forward whilst you continue to stand by the position that Linux and the BIOS have some kind of connection and that connection is what's stopping you accessing the BIOS
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:03:55 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 03:43:21 am »
In addition, the way usual way to activate the dead keys on your Lenovo machine involves getting into the BIOS and following the appropriate steps as described in Lenovo's own manual.

What you can always do is wipe Peppermint Six from your machine (although that really should not be necessary, but you seem to think that it is causing the problems of accessing the BIOS, so be logical and remove it). Then try using the Novo key to get into the BIOS. If the Novo key gets you into the BIOS then do as instructed, save the changes, exit the BIOS and reinstall Peppermint Six.

P.S. I also fail to see where anyone here told you to f**k off. This is a forum where such terminology is not used or tolerated.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 03:54:47 am »
Let me start off by apologizing for my rude behavior in here last week.  This Linux stuff is all very new to me, and I lost my patience and my composure, which wasn't at all fair to you guys answering my posts.  I'm sorry.

That out of the way, let me bring you up to speed on what I have learned since my last post.  First, I have finally figured out how to open the BIOS screen for my Lenovo.  It took another 20 or so tries to get it right, but now I have it.  Next, I have also tried out Ubuntu and Lubuntu since my last post, and I have decided that P6 is still the one I want to go ahead with.  Third, only P6 has the issue with the 3 sound hot keys (F1/F2/F3), which is the reason i started this particular thread to begin with.  These same keys work as expected in Ubuntu and Lubuntu, just not P6 for some odd reason.  Fourth, in BIOS there is a section which reads "Hot Keys: Engaged" (or words to that effect.)  These are standard default settings which I left untouched as I experimented with the various Linux platforms.

Do not misunderstand where I am coming from in bringing this bug to your attention.  I am not angry with you devs, or implying in any way that you don't know your stuff.  I was under the impression that besides asking for your help, us Users were also expected to talk about our experiences using P6, good or bad, beta fashion.  So that's all I'm doing.  I'm just bringing it to your attention that there's a minor bug in how P6 relates to some of my Lenovo hot keys, nothing more.  If it gets fixed in a later version, great.  if not, I'm sure I'll find a way to manage, regardless.

And after spending the last week experimenting with 2 other platforms, I am happy to say that I have found P6, and that during the coming weeks I intend to learn everything I can about it!
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 04:24:09 am »
Hi magicchance, there's no need to apologize.  However, for the record - thank you  :).  That's great you've cracked the BIOS mystery.   You're absolutely correct that we want to hear feedback.  This is one of the ways we're able to make improvements to Peppermint.  That is strange the aforementioned hot keys work in Ubuntu, and Lubuntu but not in Peppermint Six.  Do you remember what versions of these distros you tried?  Peppermint Six is based on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS.  If the versions you tried were either the 14.10 or 15.04 releases.  The hot key issues may have been resolved in these later releases  :-\.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention  ;).

It's great to know you've hung onto Peppermint Six.  This forum is a treasure trove of information - please utilized it  ;).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:56:35 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 06:56:56 am »
As Andy suggests, it's  highly likely a kernel or xorg-input version thing .. so it'd be interesting to know which versions of L/Ubuntu you tried....

would I be right in assuming 15.04 for both ?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:59:17 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 12:00:40 pm »
would I be right in assuming 15.04 for both ?

That's correct.
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 12:36:46 pm »
Sounds like It's probably been fixed upstream in the 3.19 kernel or xorg stack...

Hopefully there'll soon be a vivid (15.04) LTS Enablement Stack update for 14.04 .. you'd then be ably to move to that and hopefully it'd solve your problem.

We could try the later kernel if you want ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 02:01:06 pm »
We could try the later kernel if you want ?

I'm willing to follow absolutely any suggestions you may have.  My life is in your hands; you guys are my official life line now that I have fully committed to P6.

Also, I'm getting kicked off my wifi connection as well as getting "bad DNS/no web page found" type warnings quite often, which also didn't happen with the other 2 platforms.  So triple bonus points if an upgrade will fix this issue as well!  :)
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 04:04:22 pm »
OK, in Peppermint open a terminal and post the output from running:
Code: [Select]
uname -a

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 04:48:42 pm »
Here you go...:

Linux chance 3.16.0-41-generic #57~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 18 18:01:13 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 05:37:21 pm »
Run these commands in sequence:
mkdir ~/kernel-3.19.7
then
cd ~/kernel-3.19.7
then
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.19.7-vivid/linux-headers-3.19.7-031907-generic_3.19.7-031907.201505062136_amd64.deb
then
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.19.7-vivid/linux-headers-3.19.7-031907_3.19.7-031907.201505062136_all.deb
then
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.19.7-vivid/linux-image-3.19.7-031907-generic_3.19.7-031907.201505062136_amd64.deb
then
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
once that command completes, REBOOT.

then come back here and post the output from:
uname -a

Remember, if anything goes wrong booting .. you can still hold "Shift" immediately after turning on your PC to acceess the GRUB menu .. then select the old kernel to boot
3.16.0-41-generic

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 05:54:18 pm »
Now it reads...:

Linux chance 3.19.7-031907-generic #201505062136 SMP Wed May 6 21:37:38 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 06:05:12 pm »
OK, how about the keys .. do they work now ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec