Choose style:

Author Topic: Sound shortcut keys not working with P6  (Read 5341 times)

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P6
Sound shortcut keys not working with P6
« on: June 24, 2015, 05:12:56 pm »
F1-F2-F3 are my sound/volume keys.  (Mute-Minus-Plus, respectively.)  My laptop stats are in my signature.  These shortcuts worked fine last week, but this week they are completely useless.

Note: In another thread adding in the Fn or Alt keys was suggested, but in this case it doesn't help.  So I'm hoping to re-engage the original 3 keys for their intended purpose.  Is anyone here familiar with the problem?
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Sound shortcut keys not working with P6
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 05:39:21 pm »
Does the Z50 have that weird BIOS setting to have the function keys ONLY act as function keys so the F<nmber> keys don't work

In BIOS, go to Configuration tab
    Arrow down to find "HotKey Mode"
    Press Enter to change from "Hotkey Mode" to "Legacy Mode".
    Press Fn+F10 to save the settings and exit BIOS

Those were the instrctions to diasble it in the Z400/Z500/P500

Does your BIOS have this "Hotkey Mode" switch ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 06:06:21 pm »
Does the Z50 have that weird BIOS setting to have the function keys ONLY act as function keys so the F<nmber> keys don't work

In BIOS, go to Configuration tab
    Arrow down to find "HotKey Mode"
    Press Enter to change from "Hotkey Mode" to "Legacy Mode".
    Press Fn+F10 to save the settings and exit BIOS

Those were the instrctions to diasble it in the Z400/Z500/P500

Does your BIOS have this "Hotkey Mode" switch ?

The only BIOS I am familiar with was under the old Windows OS.  I just rebooted to make sure, and when I boot up P6 I don't see the same type of BIOS text as before.  So I have no idea really on how to answer your question.  But I'm game if you want to use me to experiment with...
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 03:14:27 am »
Hi magicchance,

Your BIOS is totally independent from whatever OS (operating system) you boot into. The BIOS is present in your computer even when no OS is present. So having installed Peppermint Six or any other operating system would not have changed the BIOS that was installed in your machine to now be a different BIOS.

When you have booted into Windoze or Peppermint Six or some other OS you do not see any BIOS. You "see" and get access to the BIOS of your machine before booting into the OS that you have installed.

In other words, your statement:

The only BIOS I am familiar with was under the old Windows OS.  I just rebooted to make sure, and when I boot up P6 I don't see the same type of BIOS text as before.

does not make any sense.

Do you know how to start your computer so that you gain access to its BIOS ?? If you think that you do, please tell us how you are doing it so that we can be sure that you are doing it correctly.

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:20:26 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 03:34:17 am »
Hi magicchance,

Your BIOS is totally independent from whatever OS (operating system) you boot into. The BIOS is present in your computer even when no OS is present. So having installed Peppermint Six or any other operating system would not have changed the BIOS that was installed in your machine to now be a different BIOS.

When you have booted into Windoze or Peppermint Six or some other OS you do not see any BIOS. You "see" and get access to the BIOS of your machine before booting into the OS that you have installed.

In other words, your statement:

The only BIOS I am familiar with was under the old Windows OS.  I just rebooted to make sure, and when I boot up P6 I don't see the same type of BIOS text as before.

does not make any sense.

Do you know how to start your computer so that you gain access to its BIOS ?? If you think that you do, please tell us how you are doing it so that we can be sure that you are doing it correctly.

Regards,

-- Slim

Hi Slim,

To answer your question, I have run a couple different OS's on this laptop.  All Windows.  In some, printed text that included the letters BIOS was visible at startup.  In another, it was not.  But in order to reach the BIOS commands (not just see the word printed at startup), it's necessary to punch one of the F keys, which aborts the Windows startup process and goes into diagnostic mode.

Hope that clears things up enough to keep the convo going.

Even so, I'm not sure which F key is used since I almost never used that feature, and so I'm unsure of how to use it in conjunction with P6 too.  Because even if I got lucky with the right F key, I wouldn't know what to do once the diagnostics opened anyway.
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 04:05:10 am »
Hi magicchance, how's it going, are you still having fun  ;)?  You're asking all the right questions and really getting to know your computer and its capabilities  - great stuff  ;).   The BIOS is totally independent of ANY OS and it is not run in conjunction with any OS.  It's an embedded programme that's provided by your computers manufacturer to run the startup routines.  Consequently, accessing the BIOS varies with different hardware manufacturers.  It generally takes a few goes before you find the right key to push.  The common keys to hold down at startup are: F2, F12 or Delete.  When you do get into the BIOS, write down which version it is.  Pushing F10 will get you out of the BIOS, (it's about the only thing that's consistent across all BIOS versions).  When asked, select, Exit without Saving Changes or words to that effect.  Post the BIOS version back to the forum  ;).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:07:38 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 02:47:15 pm »
OK Guys, so here's my results in attempting to boot up BIOS.

First, F2 and F10 give me the same results.  Which is, I get a strange and unfamiliar pattern of lines of information that very quickly scroll down my screen.  The lines all start with "Starting..." on the left hand side, and all end with "...OK" on the right hand side.  It looks like there are maybe as many as 150 or so lines in total, but they scroll by so fast it's impossible to count them.  Also, a few of the "OK" spots are painted red, but there's no way to tell which ones.  I've booted this screen several times already, but if there's a way to make the scrolling stop, or even slow down, I haven't found it yet.  Regardless, it's the only diagnostic type screen I have seen during this test.  You Linux masters probably know exactly what I'm seeing and what it stands for, but it's all Greek to me.

So Guys, what next?
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 05:17:11 pm »
OK Guys, so here's my results in attempting to boot up BIOS.

First, F2 and F10 give me the same results.  Which is, I get a strange and unfamiliar pattern of lines of information that very quickly scroll down my screen.  The lines all start with "Starting..." on the left hand side, and all end with "...OK" on the right hand side.  It looks like there are maybe as many as 150 or so lines in total, but they scroll by so fast it's impossible to count them.  Also, a few of the "OK" spots are painted red, but there's no way to tell which ones.  I've booted this screen several times already, but if there's a way to make the scrolling stop, or even slow down, I haven't found it yet.  Regardless, it's the only diagnostic type screen I have seen during this test.  You Linux masters probably know exactly what I'm seeing and what it stands for, but it's all Greek to me.

So Guys, what next?
Well that ain't the BIOS you're seeing.  That's the Peppermint boot up routine.  Have you tried starting your maching and imediatley after hitting the start button, hold down either, F1. F2, F12, or Delete.  Once you've discovered the right key.  You machine will tell you that you are entering the BIOS.  I'm sorry it all sounds very vague, that's because unfortunately, it is.  You could always try to find out directly from Lenovo what the key combination is: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/search#.  Good luck with your search  ;).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:39:52 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 03:11:26 am »
Well Guys, it turns out that Lenovo only make allowance for the BIOS with Windows OS.  They specifically point out that with Linux that feature goes away.  Go figure.

So Guys, I'm counting on you to know a way around this.  I.E., can BIOS be installed/added from the outside?
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 04:09:07 am »
Google search indicates:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/547718/how-to-enter-bios-on-uefi-capable-lenovo-z50-novo-button

Thanks, but I'm way past that.  Not only does BIOS not show up that way, but engaging the Novo Button with P6 already installed damaged P6 and caused it to re-install upon re-start.  What that thread fails to mention, is the fact that Lenovo specifically states that BIOS can not work once Linux is installed, as I mentioned up-thread.

At this point BIOS is lost to me unless one of the resident P6 devs can help me install one from the outside.
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 04:16:31 am »
That really makes no sense what so ever.  Your machine is booting up Peppermint so the BIOS settings are finding Peppermint and telling it to boot.  Can you provide the link that has this advice?  We just need to open the BIOS UEFI and see what the settings are.  I repeat, the BIOS UEFI is totally separate from your operating system.  You can open the BIOS UEFI up even if you have no OS installed onto your machine  :-\.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:12:19 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 04:45:39 am »

(snip)

Thanks, but I'm way past that.  Not only does BIOS not show up that way, but engaging the Novo Button with P6 already installed damaged P6 and caused it to re-install upon re-start.  What that thread fails to mention, is the fact that Lenovo specifically states that BIOS can not work once Linux is installed, as I mentioned up-thread.

(snip)

Hi magicchance,

You are making some more rather bizarre claims here: in particular about damaging your Peppermint Six installation and causing it to re-install upon re-start. If your Peppermint Six installation has been damaged, it cannot re-install itself. This is ridiculous. Either you re-installed it or someone else re-installed it.

Please be clear about what is going on here and what you are doing. Otherwise it is extremely difficult to help you solve your problem.

In your original posting you indicated the following:

F1-F2-F3 are my sound/volume keys.  (Mute-Minus-Plus, respectively.)  My laptop stats are in my signature.  These shortcuts worked fine last week, but this week they are completely useless.

My suspicion is that you made some changes to your installation that caused this occur, but we have not been informed of them, and perhaps even you do not remember what they were. This can happen.

Otherwise I truly doubt that the keys just mysteriously stopped working unless, of course, there has been hardware failure/damage in your computer. If that has happened, it is not the result of any operating system and will be difficult to fix via our forum -- but I am sure you will get very expert advice here to help you solve even such a hardware problem. But you must give us credible reports about what is happening on your end.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 08:03:27 am »
This manual (page 13):
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g_z_series_ug_english.pdf
(from your askubuntu link)

Clearly shows the "NOVO" button will present you with a menu with these 4 options

Normal Startup
BIOS Settings
Boot Menu
System Recovery

It then (on the same page) goes on to explain how to change the "HotKey Mode" I mentioned.

a) It has nothing to do with the OS, in fact when you enter the BIOS the OS hasn't even begun to be started yet .. so as Andy and Slim.Fatz said, Windows/Linux/WhateverOS can have ZERO affect at ths point.

b) It absolutely CANNOT reinstall Peppermint 6 .. selecting "System Recovery" from that menu MIGHT reinstall Windows 8 (but only if you still have an intact recovery partition)

c) It cannot "Only work with Windows installed" .. as I said, the OS hasn't even been initialised at this point, the BIOS is nothing to do with the OS it is contained in a hardware chip on the motherboard
What they probably mean is .. some functions of the UEFI BOS's can *also* be accessed via Windows 8, though this usuallly means "the setting will be applied at next boot" .. this ability will be lost if you replace Windows 8 with Linux (obviously) but it does NOT mean that you can't access the BIOS before the OS is loaded
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline magicchance

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:52:21 am »
Everyone: Page 26 of that same manual mentions how the One Key Recovery Feature (Novo BIOS Button) requires Windows in order to work.  This statement is found within the very first Notes block on pg26.  It's mentioned a second time a little farther down in the Trobleshooting section.

I know this now.  But not yesterday before trying the Novo Button.  Here is exactly what happened when I did: nothing.  Just a blank screen that never showed any signs of anything.  No text, no prompts, no sounds, nothing.  After waiting about 2 minutes I rebooted manually.  When I did that, P6 came up.  But it took almost 30 minutes for the red progress bar to fill out and for the platform to finally open like expected.  This is why I made the comment about re-installing.  Because that's what it appeared to be doing, at least from my perspective.

I haven't tried using the Novo Button again.  I haven't tried anything else, either.  I've been coming in here and giving my results as best I can, and hoping to get the problem solved.  This room is the only one I am posting in.  There is no other advice I am listening to at the moment, or experts whose advice I am taking action on -- just yours.

As for the BIOS question in general, remember Guys, I was not the one to bring it up.  My original problem was -- and still is -- how to get my dead hot keys working again.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:58:50 am by magicchance »
Lenovo Z50-75 16"
AMD-A10-7300 Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
AMD Radeon 6 Graphcs