Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 6: Using htop from the menu  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 - 64bit
Peppermint 6: Using htop from the menu
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:06:09 pm »
Hi everyone,

NOTE: The following tutorial I would rate as easy and can be done even by users with little experience using Linux and/or the terminal (aka the scary command line)   :o . Just remember that when entering any commands or names in a terminal that Linux is case-sensitive !! So, having said this, let's get started ...

For those of you who know the htop program (used to view and control system processes) and would like to use it in Peppermint Six, you first need to install htop. This can be done safely (the program is in the software repository) and easily from a command line or by using a gui interface program that is called Synaptic. I will describe installation using the Synaptic program.

To use Synaptic you click on your Peppermint menu button in the panel, then in the System Tools section click on Synaptic Package Manager.

You then enter your password and press the Enter key.

When Synaptic has started, go to the window pane on the lower left side and click on the button labelled Status. Then in the top left corner of the Synaptic window click on the button labelled Reload (which also shows a little circular arrow pointing in the counter-clockwise direction). After the Reload has finished updating your local software lists go to the window pane just below the Reload button and click on the top entry that is labelled All.

Now at the top middle part of the Synaptic window you see the little text entry field with the label above it that says Quick filter. Here you type in the name htop and in the big central window pane the program htop will appear in the column labelled Package. Click in the little check box to the left of the program htop and then click on the entry Mark for installation that appears in the pop-up menu. If another pop-up window appears click on the button labelled Mark, but if this window does not appear that is OK (there should however now be a check mark in the little box to the left of the program htop).

Now at the top of the Synaptic window click on the button labelled Apply and in the pop-up window that appears (labelled Summary) click on the button in the lower right corner labelled Apply.

After the program htop has been downloaded and installed by Synaptic, click on the button labelled Close that is in the final pop-up window. After Synaptic has finished re-displaying its list of packages you can close it.

Your htop program is now installed and can be started from a command line (i.e. from a terminal) by just typing in htop and pressing the Enter key. The program is also listed in the Peppermint menu in the category System Tools -- but it will not start when you click on it.  :-X This is relatively easy to correct (instructions given below) and then you can start htop from this menu entry. To get this to work, read on ...

Open the file manager Nemo and navigate to the folder

/usr/share/applications

Scroll down until you find the entry named Htop. Select and copy this with your mouse (or by clicking on Nemo's top menu bar item Edit and then clicking on the entry Copy that appears in the drop-down menu). Then still in Nemo navigate back to your home folder (for example, by clicking on Nemo's top menu bar item Go and then clicking on the entry Home that appears in the drop-down menu). Back in your home folder, display the "hidden" folders and files by either pressing the two keys <Control>h together or by clicking in Nemo's top menu bar item View and then clicking on Show Hidden Files.

Look for the folder named .local (that is correct: its name is a period followed by the word local) and open it. Now open the folder named share that has appeared. Finally open the folder named Applications. Here you paste the copied Htop item (that you previously copied from the instructions given above) by pressing the two keys <Contol>v together or by clicking on Nemo's top menu bar item Edit and then clicking on the entry Paste that appears in the drop-down menu. You should now find that a new icon entry is visible in the folder displayed in Nemo and this icon is named

htop.desktop

Open this htop.desktop file with the Text Editor. Then find the line that reads:

Terminal=true

and change it to read:

Code: [Select]
Terminal=false

Then find the line that reads:

Exec=htop

and change this to read:

Code: [Select]
Exec=sakura -e htop

Save the file and close the Text Editor. Now when you open the Peppermint menu and go to the section System Tools and click on the entry Htop the program htop will start!  8)

If you have any problems or questions, ask back here in the forum.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim  8)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:31:55 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, awesome, Openbox, i3, JWM

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Re: Peppermint 6: Using htop from the menu
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:40:38 pm »
Nice one Slim :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Re: Peppermint 6: Using htop from the menu
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 06:33:54 pm »
Thanks for this nice tutorial. I really like htop! Get a sense of zen staring at it on the screen! I also like the retro-feel to it (which is why I'm liking all terminal things more and more! Reminds me of the olden days of computing - in a good way)  :D

My only bugbear with it is that it doesn't show temps which seems a bit remiss (my old laptop had major over-heating problems so would have been useful; that the laptop I need to take the 128GB SSD out of and put into my PM6 netbook).