Choose style:

Author Topic: [SOLVED]Peppermint 5 - How to uninstall Nouveau driver and intall nVidia driver?  (Read 2850 times)

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
Hi, I'm on Peppermint 5 and have the Nouveau driver set up for my graphic card - but I like to remove that and install the driver I have downloaded from nVidia + set my system to NOT updating the driver.

There are numerous guides to do this but all are very old and refer to using xorg.conf file which is no longer used in peppermint.

Can someone help me with this?

EDIT: my card is the nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP4x 32MB(Obsolete)

EDIT 2: I have changed my card to a newly purchased Geforce 6600 AGP 256Mb Ram

Thanx in advance:)

JBJ
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:45:59 am by insomniacno1 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Menu > Preferences > Additional Drivers

Once you have that up, I'd suggest picking 331.113 one that doesn't say "updates," unless you have an older card that's not covered by 331.113. (though, that shouldn't even be an option if your card isn't supported, you'll have a lower numbered driver) Drivers in Linux typically don't update unless you do it manually or if the updates are added to the repositories, which Canonical doesn't do during the life of the release.  The one that says "updates" claims it has them, but I'm dubious about that.  The one time I tired the "updates" driver, it broke my system.

Anyway, just select the driver you want to use and hit "Apply."  That utility will do the rest, including the proper removal of the Nouveau driver.  That is the best way to install proprietary drivers, particularly Nvidia drivers, on an Ubuntu-based system.  There are other ways, but they're not guaranteed to properly remove the Nouveau driver.

Back around 5-6 years ago, all I did to install my driver was download it directly from Nvidia to my /home folder, make it executable, kill the X server to drop down to a command line and install my driver.  However, sometime in 2010 (Ubuntu 10.10, I think) they started making it impossible to do that without messing up your system because they made the Nouveau driver more integrated into the system.  It became almost impossible to manually remove it properly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:43:06 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
If this is the Riva TNT2 M64 32MB card you mentioned in another topic .. forget it  :(

Non of the current nvidia proprietary drivers support that card .. the oldest supported cards are (AFAIK) Geforce FX1500

and don't think you can just install an older driver .. won't work with the current version of Xorg
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
If this is the Riva TNT2 M64 32MB card you mentioned in another topic .. forget it  :(

Hm, didn't have that information sooner.  I was assuming we were working with a card from this century.  Yeah, scrap everything I said.  Not even the 173 Legacy driver will support that.

Tip:  When asking for hardware support, it's generally a good idea to include hardware information in the first post.

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hi again, and sorry for not making clear that it was my TNT2 M64 card we were talking about :-[

I have this driver I got from nVidia NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.15-pkg1.run which is the correct driver for my card. the 173 does not work with this card as scifidude said before.

I have systemback installed which makes it possible to go back if I screw up - similair to MS system restore function.

So what I like to know is how to remove the nouveau so I can install this old driver.

JBJ

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
You shouldn't need to uninstall nouveau, but the correct answer to your direct question would be
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

source:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hi again, I have changed my card to a newly purchased Geforce 6600 AGP 256Mb Ram - but when I go to additional drivers and choose the 304.125 legacy driver (Proprietairy, tested) and click on apply it starts to apply changes and after finish it reverts back to the X.Org X server Nouveau driver.

EDIT: Never mind, it worked third time I tried:)

JBJ
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:44:58 am by insomniacno1 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Great stuff, happy to hear you've got it all working now :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec