Choose style:

Author Topic: [SOLVED]: Peppermint 5 - Boot splash wrong colours  (Read 2960 times)

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
[SOLVED]: Peppermint 5 - Boot splash wrong colours
« on: June 23, 2015, 11:37:32 am »
Hi, after I replaced my ATI Rage 128 pro out with an nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP4x card, the boot splash screen - (after Grub - before login) where it says Peppermint loading - is in distorted colours.

I have been searching the old forums for answers + numerous ubuntu and mint forums, but can't seem to find a solution.

I figure that it has to do with the drivers being loaded at boot, but it would seem that I'm using the nouveau driver and not nVidia so it should be fine - but its not. Maybe it was not installed correctly - Peppermint did that by itself after I switched cards.

Can someone help?

I have an old properitary driver for this card but I don't know if that would help or if it will make it worse - Nouveau is suppose to be the better alternative these days.

If we are to switch to the nVidia driver then i need some help removing nouveau first, and a BIG question is : do I need an xorg.conf with the nVidia driver? I know Peppermint don't use xorg.conf anymore - it uses lxandr.

Could it be that the ATI driver(installed by peppermint) is still roaming around somewhere? How to remove any trace of it?

JBJ

EDIT: I have changed my card to a newly purchased Geforce 6600 AGP 256Mb Ram - and now problem is solved!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:13:14 am by insomniacno1 »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Peppermint 5 - Boot splash wrong colours
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 12:17:48 pm »
Hi insomniacno1,

For posting of long outputs you can load it to some free hosting site or a personal web page and then post a link to your output file in your forum message. If the output is not too long, but still say as long as your the output you posted in your last message or somewhat longer then paste it into your message (and you can do this now for that message by going to it and clicking on the button at the top right of the message named Modify) and then high-light the "sort-of-long" output and click on the button named Sp (found just above the emoticon  :'(   that you see above).

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:55:31 pm »
You won't get a proper looking boot splash with an Nvidia card and proprietary drivers.  It's just the way they are, I don't know why.  I don't even get a splash on my desktop, I just get text.  You will get one with the Nouveau driver.  If you want to use that, you can, but it's not any good for gaming or anything else GPU intensive.

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 01:09:40 pm »
You won't get a proper looking boot splash with an Nvidia card and proprietary drivers.  It's just the way they are, I don't know why.  I don't even get a splash on my desktop, I just get text.  You will get one with the Nouveau driver.  If you want to use that, you can, but it's not any good for gaming or anything else GPU intensive.

Hi Scifidude, I'm using the nouveau driver now - it were automatically installed when i booted up my pc with the nVidia card inside. Before I used the ATI Rage pro 128 and the screen looked fine.

Its only the boot splash that has problems, the desktop looks fine - but I took a look at the nouveau driver loaded and its not the latest one.

For some strange reason this is the one installed xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (1:1.0.10-1ubuntu2) trusty and the latest one is xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-utopic (1:1.0.11-1ubuntu2~trusty1) trusty-proposed - According to synaptic.

Can anyone explain that?

JBJ

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 01:22:03 pm »
That's Nvidia for you.  Sorry, this is just how it is.  I don't usually use the Nouveau driver longer than my first boot after install, but I'm sure it has issues displaying the boot splash too.  For some reason, Nvidia + boot splash just isn't a good combination.  This goes for most distributions I've run, and I've run a LOT of distributions over the years on Nvidia graphics.  It used to bother me, but I don't worry about it anymore.

However, if you want to try and make it look decent, you can try this.  Run this in a terminal:

Code: [Select]
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

There's a line in there that looks like this:

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

You can try changing that to a higher resolution.  Save the file and exit.  Then run this in a terminal:

sudo update-grub

That may work, but it may not.  A few years ago, you could get the boot splash to look halfway decent, or at least show up, if you increased the resolution.  I seem to remember that stopped working at one point, but it may have been "fixed" since then.  *shrugs*

This is one of the joys of running Linux on Nvidia graphics.  Fortunately, it all becomes worth it if you play games.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:24:18 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 01:46:01 pm »
Try what scifidude said (remember to also  uncomment the line) ..

Run:
change the line

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

to

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

SAVE the file and exit gedit

then run:
sudo update-grub

reboot to test

For some strange reason this is the one installed xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (1:1.0.10-1ubuntu2) trusty and the latest one is xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-utopic (1:1.0.11-1ubuntu2~trusty1) trusty-proposed - According to synaptic.

Nope, xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-utopic should ONLY be used in Peppermint 6 (or if you've installed the LTS Enablement Stack in PM5) .. in Peppermint 5 you'd need to use xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

In fact if you're running Peppermint 5 with the 3.13 kernel you should have NO packages with "lts-utopic" in the title installed by defualt.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:50:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »
Oops, I forgot the uncommenting part.  It's been a while since I've actually messed with that.   ;)

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 04:06:59 am »
Try what scifidude said (remember to also  uncomment the line) ..

Run:
change the line

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

to

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

SAVE the file and exit gedit

then run:
sudo update-grub

reboot to test

Nope, xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-utopic should ONLY be used in Peppermint 6 (or if you've installed the LTS Enablement Stack in PM5) .. in Peppermint 5 you'd need to use xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

In fact if you're running Peppermint 5 with the 3.13 kernel you should have NO packages with "lts-utopic" in the title installed by defualt.

Hi PCNetSpec, I'm using Grub customizer to do the editing and even when set to 1024x768 the colours are distorted:(

The grub menu looks fine, its only the boot splash screen that has problems.

JBJ

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 04:23:59 am »

(snip)

JBJ

Hi insomniacno1,

A simple question: Why is this so important for you? The boot splash screen is only visible for a short time and as a bit of "eye-candy".  If everything else is working (grub menu, login display, desktop, programs) then I think that you should be happy -- especially given the known difficulties using various Nvidia graphic cards! I think that you have solved all of the "show-stopper" problems ... or am I overlooking something?  :-\

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 08:18:11 am »
You could try disabling kernel mode switching with the nomodeswitch kernel boot parameter.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 11:34:38 am »

(snip)

JBJ

Hi insomniacno1,

A simple question: Why is this so important for you? The boot splash screen is only visible for a short time and as a bit of "eye-candy".  If everything else is working (grub menu, login display, desktop, programs) then I think that you should be happy -- especially given the known difficulties using various Nvidia graphic cards! I think that you have solved all of the "show-stopper" problems ... or am I overlooking something?  :-\

Regards,

-- Slim

Hi Slim, well I like to make this setup into a LIVE-DVD at some point and I don't really feel good with the boot screen looking like that:)

Its a small issue - but still an issue!

JBJ

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »
Sorry, but running Nvidia graphics, that's probably just how your splash screen is going to look.  Like I said, I get the verbose boot (text only.)  No splash at all.  And, this is mostly true across the board.  Others I've tried, including stuff not based on Ubuntu, such as Fedora and Mageia, don't display a proper looking boot splash with Nvidia proprietary drivers installed.  One of the few I've seen that actually does is PCLinuxOS, for some reason.  The splash looks fine every time.  It comes with the drivers preinstalled, but so does Mageia and the splash still looks wonky on an installed system.

I forgot all about the Grub Customizer.  I used to use that until in one of the releases (Peppermint Two, I think) it was borked.  It would completely mess up my Nvidia driver if I used that to "fix" the boot splash screen.  It was at that point that I decided I didn't care.  Like Slim Fatz said, everything else worked fine, so I stopped worrying about it.  But, to each his or her own.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:51:13 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 01:15:44 pm »
If you're turning it into a LiveCD, it's gonnna load the drivers for the target hardware, so the splash screen won't necessarily look weird on their machines  ???

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline insomniacno1

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 01:23:32 pm »
If you're turning it into a LiveCD, it's gonnna load the drivers for the target hardware, so the splash screen won't necessarily look weird on their machines  ???

Hi again, I'm well aware of that:) But its not for other people, its for my pc to when something goes wrong - then i can restore it from the Live DVD:) I'm using systemback to make the DVD.

JBJ

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 01:27:01 pm »
Like I said earlier .. try disabling kernel mode switching

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec