Choose style:

Author Topic: How Do I Put Permanent DNS Addresses On To A Wireless Notebook Computer [SOLVED]  (Read 1866 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hello to any clever tech savvy expert within Peppermint,

I'm preparing to send a notebook computer out of the country, and I would like it to always connect to two permanent DNS addresses I want it to use.

I had thought that this notebook computer would be connected by the Ethernet, but I was wrong about this.  All connections this notebook computer will be using will always be made wirelessly --through Wi-Fi.  I did go to our connection icon in our main panel today to begin playing with how to do this on my computer. I came close to accomplishing my goal, but I'm still a bit stuck as to how to configure Peppermint to always use the same DNS addresses wirelessly.  I'm finding that doing this is a bit tricky.  Any insights would be appreciated.

I'll experiment on my computer here before I put these DNS addresses on to the notebook computer that will be leaving the country, so please don't worry about making some mistakes with any instructions. 

In this particular case, I'd prefer not to make use the terminal at all.  I need to do this within the panel.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:37:14 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
You can't until the wireless connection is created in networkmanager.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
You can't until the wireless connection is created in networkmanager.

Thanks PCNetSpec,

Darn it all. The computer is going to a 7-year-old kid --his first computer, and with Peppermint 6!  I was trying to make the connections as child protective as possible, while still letting any adult in his household look up anything they want on their own computers.

StartPage filters somewhat.  I guess that's as good as I'll be able to do for this young child.

Thanks so much,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
DNS can be easily  altered once the wireless connection is set up and saved .. but not until then.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
DNS can be easily  altered once the wireless connection is set up and saved .. but not until then.

Well, PCNetSpec, I'm close to getting this but what I'm entering becomes my Ternary DNS for my wireless and not my primary and secondary DNS --which still come from my modem, and what I want to override for my Wi-Fi.

As an experiment, I'd like to make Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. my primary and secondary DNS for my Wi-Fi.

I know I go to Edit Connections > IPv4 Settings ...and then I get screwed up. I can see they should not to be listed as Additional DNS servers, but I don't know where to put these two sets of numbers.

I should know how to do this on my own computer anyway.  Could you help me over this hurdle?  Do I have to go ad hoc or manual or do something like that?  :-\

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
In networkmanager, edit your wireless connection / IPv4 tab

Make sure:-

"Method" is set to either "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only" or "Manual" (in Manual mode you'd have to give it a static IP, etc.)

and

"DNS Servers:" is set to
8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
(they're entered as comma separated values [CSV], so make sure there's a comma and space between the 2 DNS addresses)

SAVE the configuration.

Now for the setting to become active, you'll either have to disable wireless by right-clicking the networkmanager system trray icon and removing tthe tick from "Enable Wireless" .. and then do that again to re-enable it
or
log off/on
or
reboot

You can the check your DNS servers by right-clicking the networkmanager system tray icon and selecting "Connection Information"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:48:24 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Thank you, PCNetSpec --that worked!  :)

Odd, I know, but logging out didn't help me, but removing the tick and then replacing it again did the trick.

Also, I had not put a space after the comma, and I had placed a period after the final digit 4 --all no-nos.

Now I take it that checking the little box that says "Require IPv4 for this address to complete" won't give this configuration any persistence when I send the little notebook computer out of the country.

No problemo!  This little boy's mother is soon going to be learning a little about Peppermint Linux OS, and I'm looking forward to this telling her about it!  ;)

Thank you so much.  Now I can give this child DuckDuckGo as search engine too.  The little duck in DuckDuckGo is much cuter for a child than StartPage's plain blue.  Heck, I even like seeing the little happy duck myself!  ;D

Peppermint 6 will soon be going to Panama!  And, now it's time to buy Peppermint Linux OS some shades!!  8)

perknh