Choose style:

Author Topic: Can Wikipedia Survive? by Andrew Lih of the International New York Times  (Read 3530 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
I know one of the things M$ was talking about possibly doing for Windblows 10 was to have a web centric interface, with only part of the OS residing on your PC and the rest residing on the Cloud.  Really bad idea, in my opinion.  Though, I don't think they're actually doing that this time.

Does anyone remember Microsoft's Web TV from the 90's.  That device gave my mother and me our first introduction to the Internet.  Web TV came over the phone lines, and it cost $20 a month.  There was never any need to update anything with this device either.  There was just a modem that sat upon your TV, and you had a wireless keyboard with an inferred light which sat upon your lap.  Then you aimed your keyboard in the general direction of your television and modem.  You typed away, and everything you typed, and saw, appeared right on your television screen.  That may have been Microsoft's start with cloud-based computing.

Although ours was black, this is pretty much what our devices looked like.  By the time we used Web TV, there was no wireless remote, but only the keyboard, but everything else pictured here was pretty much the same for us:

http://www.cnet.com/news/rip-webtv-microsoft-to-shut-down-msn-tv-on-sept-30/#!

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
I never had one of those, but I worked with a guy who had one.  I had a PC, so I didn't need one.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Dead Tech eh .. how about the failure (that I bought into) that was the Philips CD-i

Friggin piece of overpriced junk that needed another overpriced expansion card before it'd do anything .. and even then not much  ::)

Deserved to die, just a pity it took so much of my money to the grave with it  >:(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The guy I worked with absolutely loved his.  This was in the late '90s, by the way.  But, I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone.  I certainly never wanted one.  The idea of surfing the web on my TV never appealed to me.  Even now, when I see those commercials for stuff like the Samsung "smart" TV, I'm like "So what?"   :-\

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I thought Web TV was great at the time.  You had the entire TV screen as your monitor.  Seniors with visual problems could see it easily, and you had the added benefit of having the blasted phone off when you were online.  So I liked it, but I let it go anyway.  My wife and I were moving over to cell phones, and not long after that we got ourselves a computer.

I gave Web TV to a friend who needed Internet service in Canada.  But, for whatever reason, it didn't work for her in Quebec.  So, she went to Apple, my wife and I moved from Windows to Peppermint, and I believe that old Web TV device went into the garbage.  And that was the end of that story.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The WebTV was probably region locked, or some garbage like that.  That's probably why it didn't work in Quebec.  Companies that sell electronics internationally do stuff like that, in order to prevent you from buying it cheaper in a different country and then taking it home and using it.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The WebTV was probably region locked, or some garbage like that.  That's probably why it didn't work in Quebec.  Companies that sell electronics internationally do stuff like that, in order to prevent you from buying it cheaper in a different country and then taking it home and using it.

Hello scifidude79,

We couldn't make a lick of sense out of what was going on.  But, now that you've told me that; well, that makes a lot of sense.

If los basta*dos don't get you one way, they'll surely get you another!

Thanks for the info.  ;)

perknh