Choose style:

Author Topic: Can Wikipedia Survive? by Andrew Lih of the International New York Times  (Read 3542 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Opinion piece by Andrew Lih of the International New York Times
Published 20 June 2015

Can Wikipedia Survive?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/opinion/can-wikipedia-survive.html
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
That's interesting read, thanks for sharing.  I figured one of the biggest challenges facing Wikipedia would be budget, given their occasional requests for money.  But, it sounds like that's not an issue.  They easily raise money when they need it.  It looks like the biggest threat facing Wikipedia is Wikipedia itself.  Namely, how they do things.  It looks like they need to change some internal stuff and add an ability for people on phones and tablets to edit Wikipedia or they're going to fade away into obscurity.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
That's interesting read, thanks for sharing.  I figured one of the biggest challenges facing Wikipedia would be budget, given their occasional requests for money.  But, it sounds like that's not an issue.  They easily raise money when they need it.  It looks like the biggest threat facing Wikipedia is Wikipedia itself.  Namely, how they do things.  It looks like they need to change some internal stuff and add an ability for people on phones and tablets to edit Wikipedia or they're going to fade away into obscurity.

I sure don't want Wikipedia to fade away into obscurity.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I don't either, but it's not up to you or me.  It sounds like they've implemented some unpopular policies and need to update to something that works well with mobile devices for editing.  Companies that refuse to update, or update too late, eventually go away.  Look at Blockbuster Video and Radio Shack as a couple of prime examples.  Barnes & Noble was nearly on that list, but I think their NOOKs saved them from that fate.  They were literally trying to be bought out a handful of years ago.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I remember in college, you needed some space for your books, your notes, and your typewriter.  Composing an essay, or a term paper, or whatever nonsense we were writing at the time, took up some space --and lots and lots of time. My question is:  Is the desktop going the way of the dinosaur?  I believe it might be doing so.  The computer I'm using now is what is called a desktop replacement.  It's laptop, but with a 17.3' inch screen.  Can I get by with 15,6"?   Yes.  13.3"?  Maybe so.  But there reaches a point where these devices will be too small in order to compose anything decent --unless, of course, our hopefully then-improved, but-now-buggy, Google record-everything, device takes over.  Maybe then we'll be able to research and compose with  tools like that-- I don't know.

You know, scifidude79, I was surprised too that Wikipedia's funding was as good as it was.  But how do say no to Wikipekia's fund drive?  It says something like if everyone gave $3 to Wikipedia once a year, it would be able all that it is doing right now just fine.   Obviously, that is not a greedy request.  I don't doubt people have been sending Wikipedia money.  I send them $3 when they ask for it --heck, my Cafe Latte costs more than that at McDonald's!

Wikipedia is an wonderful resource, and the Web would be a far less richer place without it.  I sure don't want to lose it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 05:25:29 pm by perknh »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The general rule of computers these days is this:  Tablets are the new laptop, laptops are the new desktop.

That's all fine and dandy for people who aren't serious gamers or who don't work in any CPU and RAM intensive fields, such as video editing, CGI effects, or anything like that.  Waiting for a 300 frame animation to render can be brutal on an 8-core processor with ample RAM and cooling, you don't even want to contemplate that on a (maybe) 4-core processor with "eh" RAM and practically no cooling.  The hotter your processor gets, the slower it runs, no matter how fast your clock speed is.  Gamers don't typically like laptops because virtually nothing can be upgraded, plus there's the whole cooling issue.  There are now some "gaming" laptops with (supposedly) superior cooling, but they're still limited by the whole lack of upgradeable components thing.  So, serious gamers and professionals who can't be limited to a computer with a smaller form factor, less processing power, less RAM and less cooling are the main people who still *need* a desktop.  Then there are people, like my mom, who don't need the desktop for its functionality but just prefer a desktop over a laptop.  My mom hates laptops.  She also dislikes trying to do some stuff on the Internet on an Android tablet, as do I.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The general rule of computers these days is this:  Tablets are the new laptop, laptops are the new desktop.

A friend bought a Toshiba 2 Chromebook the other day, and he brought it to me so I check it out.  Well... :o

Yes, my jaw dropped.  The thing was lighting fast, without any need for manual updating whatsoever.  The screen has a 1920 x 1080 HD resolution.  And the thing was light, and very easy to carry around.  And it has beaucoup hours of battery life --lots and lots.

I genuinely believe Chromebooks are going to take a larger part of the portable device market as time goes on.  And, I have some experience here.  My wife continues to use her Chromebook more and more as her primary device.  Her's is an Acer C-720, with an 11.6" inch screen.  The volume and sound quality is phenomenal --much better then either of our laptops, including the one which which I'm writing on now.  Also, I paid about $500 each for our two laptops.  And, I paid $175 for her Chromebook --which she now uses more than her laptop!  I sometimes feel like this  :) and this  >:( when I think about that!

I believe that we at Peppermint need, somehow, to make ourselves accessible to the Chromebook market.  How we can do this, I don't know.  But, I do believe that Chromebooks are becoming the new standard for portable devices.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
That's if you don't mind a computer that does *everything* on the Internet and is essentially a brick if you don't have available WIFI.  Sure, it runs fast, because it's basically running a barebones desktop UI with a link to Chrome.  (at least, that's my impression of Chromebooks)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
That's if you don't mind a computer that does *everything* on the Internet and is essentially a brick if you don't have available WIFI.  Sure, it runs fast, because it's basically running a barebones desktop UI with a link to Chrome.  (at least, that's my impression of Chromebooks)

Yes, that's true, and, for better and worse, I believe that's the way we're headed.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds

In my workplace, we have a genre of machines that are eerily similar in form & function  to Chromebooks.  They're called 'thin clients'.  Personally, I call them 'dumb terminals'.  All they do is allow a human interface to the CPU that controls the values in our PLCs.  They aren't worth a hoot in hell, when they're not connected to our network.

Never thought about it 'til you brought it to mind, but it's the same working model -- with a twist.

Matter of fact, Chromebooks are categorized as 'web thin clients'.  How about that?  Think of the possibilities...

'Dumb terminals' have put a lot of bread on my table, over the years...   8)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Yeah, those sound like dumb terminals to me.  But, if you're making money off of them, kudos for you.   8)

I know one of the things M$ was talking about possibly doing for Windblows 10 was to have a web centric interface, with only part of the OS residing on your PC and the rest residing on the Cloud.  Really bad idea, in my opinion.  Though, I don't think they're actually doing that this time.  Not that I care 'cause I'm done with Windows anyway, but that was still a stupid idea.  It's one thing to use some apps that access the web, like the Ice apps, but it's a whole different ballgame when just booting the OS and performing the simplest function requires an active Internet connection.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Yup, that would be stupidest idea that MS has come up with since they decided release Internet Explorer.  It's also the Achilles heel of the Chrombook too  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Yup, that would be stupidest idea that MS has come up with since they decided release Internet Explorer.  It's also the Achilles heel of the Chrombook too  ;).

Yup, that's how I feel about it too.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Dumb clients......

No I'd better not, they may read this  :D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Dumb clients......

No I'd better not, they may read this  :D

Say goodnight, Gracie...   ;D