Choose style:

Author Topic: Code 1 & Alt+SysRq & R E I S U B O (SOLVED)  (Read 7719 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Code 1 & Alt+SysRq & R E I S U B O (SOLVED)
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:49:42 pm »
This morning my Peppermint 4 OS would not start normally.

I got this message:

xscreensaver:  10:02:13  could not execute "fiberlamp": iinput/output error

x screensaver:  10:04:15 (some letter or number, I can't read my own note):  childbid 2410 (fiberlamp) exited abnormally (code1)

I could not remember the way to exit manually, so I had to unplug the external hard drive from my computer.  So this afternoon, I thought I'd practice PCNetSoec's manual exit instructions.  But now that my computer is working normally again, and I have terminated all screensaver functions, I can't get this command " Alt+SysRq   R E I S U B O to work for me.  Does this command only work when the computer is really down, and not functioning properly? 

I can't get it to work, and I have no AltGr key to work with either.  Can R E I S U B O be in lower case -- does this matter?  Is there another command to use if these do not work?  I'm the guy trying to save a three senior citizens' Windows XP machines with some kind of Ubuntu distribution, or until Peppermint 5 is released, and I can't even pull myself out of a ditch when my own computer get stuck. 

Some example I'm proving to be!

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:22:55 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: Code ! & Alt+SysRq & R E I S U B O
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »
You got it right......it's a rescue command so it does nothing if there's nothing to rescue.  Lower case is fine.
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:59:52 pm »
NO .. it SHOULD reboot the PC even if there's nothing wrong.

but REISUB or REISUO should be in lower case .. I only displayed it in upper case to draw attention to the letters.

if Alt is on the left side of the space bar, AltGr should be on the right of the space bar.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:08:14 pm »
So, I stand corrected......again!   :-[

Thanks PCNetSpec
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Code 1 & Alt+SysRq & R E I S U B O
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »
PCNetSpec,

My computer doesn't say  AltGr, but,still, maybe that's what it is.   Anyway, that was the side I was using.  I'll keep working at this.

I wan't to get these basic emergency procedures down.  I didn't know about this particularity with Linux.  I've been doing hard, cold, shutdowns for years when I found myself in trouble.

Yicks!

Thank you,

perknh

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:24:31 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:48:43 am »
PCNetSpec,

Is there any other possible combination of letters or keys in order to do a cold or hard shutdown?

I've read this link:  https://myl1nux.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/when-linux-hangs-or-completly-freezes/        which says pretty much what you' are saying. 

Could it be that this method will not work for an external hard drive, but only for the internal hard drive?

This is important, practical advice you are giving,  and I want to learn this lesson thoroughly.  My computer is a Toshiba Satellite, and the external hard drive is a Hitachi.

I tried:   Alt + SysRq       r  e  s u b   on my neighbor's Dell Dimension 3000, and the command worked like a charm, absolutely perfectly.

I'm beginning to think these commands are not working on my computer because I have Peppermint  residing on an external hard drive.

The external hard drive is very easy to unplug when the system freezes, and it has only frozen  once anyway.

Thank you for any of you thoughts.

perknh
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:24:48 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 04:08:11 pm »
I put Xubuntu 14.04 on my external hard drive today, replacing Peppermint 4.  I wanted to do an experiment to see if I could get the Alt + SysRq   r  e i  e  u  b    or   r   e  i  s  u  o   to work with the new instillation.  No luck, I could not shut down the computer.

Any thoughts from anyone with knowledge about this topic would be appreciated.  What could be the reason that Xubuntu  14.04, today, or Peppermint 4 yesterday, would not shut down other than it is because I'm using this external hard drive?  I can't think of any other reason.

These are important commands to know, and I know Alt + SysRq   r e i  e  u  b  works well on the inner hard drive of an old Dell Dimension 3000.  I've tried it a couple of times and it works, but I can't get either command to work on my external Hitachi hard drive, mounted to a Toshiba Satallite laptop, no matter what I do.

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

I discovered, inadvertently, that Xubuntu has a neat feature that can automatically change one's wallpaper, if a user sets this feature up to do so.  Since Peppermint is using some features from Xfce, might this feature be be a welcomed inclusion within the next version of Peppermint 5?  Or would this idea be too late, or even veering us away from the approach or philosophy of Peppermint OS in general?  Just an observation here I thought worth noting.

P,S.S.

I am noticing that Xubuntu is easier to work with than Lubuntu -- in my opinion -- but still not as easy, or as workable, as Peppermint 4.  From what I can see, no Linux distribution is as workable out of the box as Peppermint 4.  Perhaps the version of Ubuntu 12.04, or even 14.04, with Unity, comes in at a close second place for ease of use.  But, then again, these are just my observations and opinions, coming from a self-confessed newbie to Linux.

Thank you.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 04:15:34 pm »
Uh, you're not putting a space between those letters when you type them out on your keyboard to shut down, are you?  :-\
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 05:39:48 pm »
The reason the keyboards on "some" laptops require AltGr is that they use none standard key codes.

I'm guessing this just simply won't be possible on the Hitachi for the same reason.

I's possible that adding a USB keyboard, then using that would work.

You've lost me with the Xfce wallpaper thing .. you mean something that automatically changes your wallpaper after a chosen amount of time ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:25 pm »
Good question, Mac, but no.  The first command, Alt + SysRq   reieub,  works perfectly well on that old Dell Dimension 3000 I've converted from Windows XP to Xubuntu -- awaiting Peppermint 5's release, of course!  (Perhaps I should not have added those spaces -- sorry.)

And, PCNetSpec, I figure that has to be it.  It's an Hitachi external hard drive situation -- rarely encountered, I'm sure.

And, yes, you can configure within reasonable limits, say like from 10 minutes to a day, or at startup I've you'd like, the wallpaper to change in Xubuntu!  I think that is a pretty cool feature.  It works even better than in Unity because you can configure your own wallpapers to change, and not only Xubuntu's default wallpapers.  Hey, who doesn't like a change of scenery at times?  This tool is found right within Xubuntu's Settings, and then you go to the Desktop icon to configure the wallpaper settings the way you'd like.  You have to play with it a bit, but it works.

A thank you for giving me some peace of mind with this cold shut down command.  Why I couldn't do it on my computer was driving me nuts.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: (Solved) Code 1 & Alt+SysRq & R E I S U B O
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »
It's not that it's on an external hard drive, that would make no difference as the kernel is the same.

The problem must be with the keyboard .. either the kernel gets the keycodes from the keyboard, or it doesn't .. what I'm saying is "some" laptops assign non-standard keycodes to certain keys on their built in keyboards.

I'd be pretty certain that REISUB would work from a different keyboard .. say a USB keyboard ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:15 pm »
And, practically speaking, I'm stuck with this keyboard, aren't I?   I mean it's Qwerty, but that's not USB, is it?  If I install Peppermint 5 to the internal hard drive when it is released, of say Xubuntu now, do you think this computer would be able to execute the one of the shut down commands you taught us?

I like the option of having two OSs, and I know I use a Linux OS at least 90% of the time right now (and I bet that percentage will increase over time.   Remember my computer these days seems to run cooler this way.)  Still this USB concept is new to me.  I thought I was using a keyboard that was internationally recognized.  I have never heard of a USB keyboard until tonight.

I've DuckDuckGoed it too, but I'm still drawing a bit of a blank here.

Still, thank you.  I've got something new to learn about.

perknh

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 07:53:39 am »
By USB keyboard, I'm pretty sure what is being referred to is an external keyboard, plugged into a USB port.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 12:39:49 pm »
MNFrozenfish

That makes sense.  I saw one for sale that worked that way on Amazon.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »
yeah that's what I meant :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec