Choose style:

Author Topic: Skype Webcam Video Flashing On and Off [SOLVED]  (Read 2433 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Skype Webcam Video Flashing On and Off [SOLVED]
« on: June 18, 2015, 10:11:58 pm »
Hello my friends,

I just installed Peppermint 6 on an old Windows XP computer.  We have a Logtech video camera attached to the top of the monitor.  We've got the audio working, but now Skype video flashes on and off.

Here are the computer's specs:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
sudo inxi -F
[sudo] password for edie:
System:    Host: Peppermint Kernel: 3.16.0-41-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Six
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP d220 MT (DW981A) serial: MXD44603Z1
           Mobo: Lite-On Tech. model: 0888h version: A06 serial: 21792474205341
           Bios: American Megatrends version: 1.12 date: 05/28/2004
CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron CPU (-UP-) cache: 128 KB flags: (pae sse sse2) clocked at 2400.120 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Integrated Graphics Device
           X.org: 1.16.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0
           Card-2: Logitech driver: USB Audio
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-41-generic
Network:   Card-1: Marvell 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4401 100Base-T driver: b44
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:0f:fe:12:b5:1c
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 41.1GB (8.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Maxtor_2F040L0 size: 41.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 37G used: 3.2G (10%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 0.66GB used: 0.12GB (19%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 117 Uptime: 4:35 Memory: 200.1/611.5MB Client: Shell (sudo) inxi: 1.9.17
[close]

To make things more complicated I don't have frequent access to this computer, so this problem, and this thread, may take a while to finish.  But any ideas that may resolve this flashing Skype video issue would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
edie (the ower of this legacy computer) and perknh

P.S.

perknh here.   Might this be one of those cases where changing from Chromium to Chrome might be helpful for Skype's video performance?  I did see some message that Flash in Chromium might need to be upgraded soon.  I didn't pay too much attention to the message at the time.  I'm wondering now if Flash in Chromium could somehow be affecting the video in Skype.  Might there be an interrelationship between the Flash in the browser and the video performance of Skype on the computer?

P.P.S.

Seems my tweaking Skype last night here and there got Skype to work somewhat well today on that computer.  :) I'll consider this post solved until I receive further notice concerning Skype and its interaction with that classic HP computer.

Thank you people for thinking about the issue.

I know. I know!  You saw the specs for that computer, and asked yourselves, how is the darn thing even running?

Truth is, I don't really know either.  But if that legacy computer is going out; it will be going out with Peppermint 6 on it...gosh darn it!  ;)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:10:13 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Skype Webcam Video Flashing On and Off [SOLVED]
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 02:21:46 pm »
LOL :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 07:06:24 pm »
Quote from: PCNetSpec on Today at 05:08:04 PM
Would you feel any happier if I said a big chunk of the development work for Peppermint 6 was done on an an Acer Aspire One netbook with 1.5GB of RAM ;)

2GB is fine for Peppermint 6

Any hunches as to why this computer is moving so slowly?    Could it be because it is so ancient?  ;D

perknh

P.S.

By the way, I'm buying a new Webcam for this old clunker today.  Skype video, I was just told, is still spotty --flashing on and off for the user of the computer.  Apparently the other people, fortunately, can see and hear the owner of this computer just fine over Skype.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:10:11 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 07:38:53 pm »
Dunno .. define "Slowly" .. do you mean "Single core Celeron slowly", or "f*** I think my hard drives knackered" slowly ?

[EDIT]

Your problem is probably the fact you only have 600MB of available memory .. the PC will work, but it'll be using the hard drive as virtual memory .. and the hard drive is 1000's of times slower than RAM.

Add more RAM
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:10:00 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec,

That helps us understand what is going on here.  ;)

perknh