Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 6 Review by AJ Reissig (YouTube)  (Read 2997 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Peppermint 6 Review by AJ Reissig (YouTube)
« on: June 18, 2015, 05:46:40 am »
Another positive review of Peppermint Six ...This one contains a couple of tips for dual monitor users.

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Peppermint 6 Review by AJ Reissig (YouTube)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:18:09 pm »
It's always nice to see more positive reviews.  I didn't watch the whole thing, but he definitely seems to like it.  :)

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 12:57:13 pm »
Just watched the video review, other than being a little on the long side, I thought it was a superb review by someone who sounds like he knows what he's talking about and gets the Peppermint ethos

Keep em coming :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »
The only thing that bothered me a little was he missed the fact Ice SSB's are not just quicklinks to web pages, they open in a browser with n menu/tabs/etc so appear as locally running apps.

Woulda been nice if he'd paid "slightly" more attention to what Ice does .. but all in all another well presented video review that shows us in a good light :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 01:36:43 pm »
Well, in all fairness, not everybody gets it when it comes to Ice and SSBs.  I remember there being a lot of explanation involved in the old forum 4-5 years ago about what all exactly Ice was and what it does.  I'm sure there are still people who don't understand it totally.

Many people probably equate them to those HTML menu links that opened a website in your browser that Windows programs are known for installing when they install the program, even though the two are not the same thing by a long shot.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 01:54:09 pm »
Yup, it was great to see a reviewer construct and explain an SSB.  It would have been nice to have shown what an SSB looks like.  A lot of people are going to come away thinking that the Ice links will just open a fresh tab in the browser.  It a real shame, he missed that opportunity to show his audience something that really separates Peppermint from any other distro.  All in all though, it was a very favourable review  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:35:11 pm »
When he created his SSB I was waiting for him to open it and demonstrate it wasn't just a quick link  and was a bit disappointed when he didn't

He also said there wasn't a search function in the menu but there is at least there is on my PC and I didn't add it

In spite of the above I still think it was a first class review

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 02:37:59 pm »
He also said there wasn't a search function in the menu but there is at least there is on my PC and I didn't add it

It's on mine as well and I didn't add it either.  Nemo also has an incredibly useful search function, (I've used it several times) so I don't know where that could have come from.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 02:56:21 pm »
When he created his SSB I was waiting for him to open it and demonstrate it wasn't just a quick link  and was a bit disappointed when he didn't

In spite of the above I still think it was a first class review

Graeme

I've added in my acknowledgement of his video, a paragraph outlining SSBs and how they are unique to Peppermint.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 04:27:37 pm »

He meant a search function FOR THE MENU .. ie. where you type "monitor"" and the menu just displays menu items that contain "monitor" in the name or description (like the Xfce whisker menu).

Whisker menu is great but it requires the Xfce panel which sucks .. it's a plugin not a standalone app.

There was some talk by the author of doing a standalone version .. but he never did :(

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 04:48:56 pm »
Oh, that search.  Yes, handy tool.  Though, I can see the need for that on the larger menus like what Cinnamon and XFCE have, but Peppermint's menu just isn't that big.  I don't see why you need a search for it, but maybe that's just me.  Heck, just trying to find what you're looking for in the dozens of "settings" options in the Whisker menu in XFCE can be a chore.  Though, it's still not as bad as their old application launcher menu.  It was even more convoluted.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 04:56:08 pm »
Yeah I agree .. lx[anel/menu is just simple and straight forward.

It aint pretty, but then when you "pretty em up" with sliding menus and categories that change,  you tend to make them need a search tool

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 04:59:49 pm »
Oh, that search.  Yes, handy tool.  Though, I can see the need for that on the larger menus like what Cinnamon and XFCE have, but Peppermint's menu just isn't that big.  I don't see why you need a search for it, but maybe that's just me.  Heck, just trying to find what you're looking for in the dozens of "settings" options in the Whisker menu in XFCE can be a chore.  Though, it's still not as bad as their old application launcher menu.  It was even more convoluted.
The whisker menu can't be considered light either.  It's one of the things that's transformed Xfce from being a lean lightweight to a slightly portly middleweight desktop  ;).

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 05:03:50 pm »
You're absolutely right, Andy.  That's one of the things that has turned me away from XFCE.  Plus, even if you try to use their older style menu in Xubuntu, I've found that updates to the system that assume you're running the Whisker menu tend to mess it up.   ::)

Yeah I agree .. lx[anel/menu is just simple and straight forward.

It aint pretty, but then when you "pretty em up" with sliding menus and categories that change,  you tend to make them need a search tool

Yes to all of that.

Me, I like simple menus.  I'm the guy who, in KDE, will switch from the fancy menu to the classic menu, which is more of an LXDE/Win98 and earlier style menu.  I don't like to have to go through a bunch of hoops to get my programs open.  (if I'm in a real hurry, I'll just do Alt+F2 :P)

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 09:57:35 pm »
If you are missing a menu type search feature install Synapse - a great search tool that works well in P5, have not had a chance to test in P6.