Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 6 USB Image Writer  (Read 4102 times)

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
Peppermint 6 USB Image Writer
« on: June 16, 2015, 05:22:31 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but I would like to have a detailed explanation on how to use the USB Image Writer.  Can I make a complete image of the current setup I have?  If so how do I do that?  It asks you to select the image to write and offers the directories.  Do I select all of the directories or just a specific one?  Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not sure what to do.  Thanks. :-\
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:25:30 pm by jlschwartz »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Peppermint 6 USB Image Writer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but I would like to have a detailed explanation on how to use the USB Image Writer.  Can I make a complete image of the current setup I have?  If so how do I do that?  It asks you to select the image to write and offers the directories.  Do I select all of the directories or just a specific one?  Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not sure what to do.  Thanks. http://forum.peppermintos.com/Smileys/dizzy_light/undecided.gif

Hi Jef, I think you're mistaking the USB Stick Formatter's function.  It's not a disk imaging tool, like CloneZilla.  It doesn't take a snapshot of your disk.  It makes a Live USB thumb drive.  You must first download an ISO of the distro you want to install to the thumb drive.  Open the USB Stick Formatter tool.  Format the thumb drive to FAT32.  Then select the USB Image Writer.  Navigate to where the ISO you just downloaded is located and follow the instructions.  It's very similar to UNetBootin only much better  ;).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:52:31 pm by AndyInMokum, Reason: Clarification »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:56:16 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Andy.  I get it now. ;D

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:59:35 pm »
There is a tool where you can make your system setup into a bootable (and I think installable) USB drive, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.  Does anybody else remember?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:21:43 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Andy.  I get it now. ;D

It's my pleasure  ;).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:47:37 pm »
There is a tool where you can make your system setup into a bootable (and I think installable) USB drive, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.  Does anybody else remember?

I think you mean Remastersys (?)

Development stopped a while ago (author gave up) ..
then restarted again (author returned, and even bunged up a new website for it "www.remastersys.com" as shown here http://sourceforge.net/projects/remastersys/ ) .. and now the website seems to have been taken over by a Chinese trading company so it looks like it's stopped again  ::)

That said, there's a PPA here:
https://launchpad.net/~mutse-young/+archive/ubuntu/remastersys
I haven't personally tested it though ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:09:53 pm »

I think you mean Remastersys (?)

Yes, I do believe that is the one.  I couldn't think of the name of it.  Didn't know about all of that going on with development, though.  That may be more like what jlschwartz is looking for.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 11:24:25 pm »

I think, if you're talking about Linux, you're talking about Unetbootin. But, if you're talking about a Windows tool, you're talking about Universal USB by Pen Drive Linux --found at Softpedia.

I think, and please correct me here if I'm wrong, that our image write is derived from Unetbootin --after all, it is open source.  But, I'll tell you this:  I've done a lot of installations over the last two years, but our --Peppermint's own-- image writer is the quickest I've ever seen.  And, I'm not saying this because I like Peppermint.  No, I'm saying this because our image writer moves very, very fast.  I've never seen anything like it before.

Check it out,  It's impressive,  :)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 12:16:24 am »

I think, if you're talking about Linux, you're talking about Unetbootin. But, if you're talking about a Windows tool, you're talking about Universal USB by Pen Drive Linux --found at Softpedia.

I think, and please correct me here if I'm wrong, that our image write is derived from Unetbootin --after all, it is open source.  But, I'll tell you this:  I've done a lot of installations over the last two years, but our --Peppermint's own-- image writer is the quickest I've ever seen.  And, I'm not saying this because I like Peppermint.  No, I'm saying this because our image writer moves very, very fast.  I've never seen anything like it before.

Check it out,  It's impressive,  :)

Well, for one thing Unetbootin is available for Windows also.  Though, that only writes a .iso file to a USB drive.

PCNetSpec already filled in the name of the tool I was talking about, it's Remastersys. Basically, it takes your installed system including any user customization and packs it up into a .iso file that can then be used to install the same OS on another computer, or as a backup in case your OS needs to be reinstalled and you don't want to go all the way back to square one with the Live CD.  Though, after you use Remastersys to create the .iso, you can certainly use Unetbootin to put it onto a USB drive.  :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 02:14:04 am »
I think, and please correct me here if I'm wrong, that our image write is derived from Unetbootin
Hi perknh,

The program installed in Peppermint 6 and listed in the panel's main menu under System Tools as two different programs (USB Image Writer and USB Stick Formatter) is actually just one program (mintstick) that is passed a different start parameter depending on whether you wish to format a USB stick or write an distro's hybrid ISO to a USB stick.

The program mintstick is not based on Unetbootin (which is one reason why it is so fast and works so much better than Unetbootin -- although mintstick will not permit making a Live USB with Persistence -- at least not with the start parameters we use, and perhaps not at all). It is based on (actually it is a GUI front-end for) the CLI program dd that AndyInMokum has often referred to in postings in the forums here. But mintstick limits user-stupidity (unfortunately, only during use of mintstick  ;D [size=78%]) [/size]

and is therefore not so "dangerous" to use.

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 06:30:09 am »
I think, and please correct me here if I'm wrong, that our image write is derived from Unetbootin
Hi perknh,

The program mintstick is not based on Unetbootin (which is one reason why it is so fast and works so much better than Unetbootin -- although mintstick will not permit making a Live USB with Persistence -- at least not with the start parameters we use, and perhaps not at all). It is based on (actually it is a GUI front-end for) the CLI program dd that AndyInMokum has often referred to in postings in the forums here. But mintstick limits user-stupidity (unfortunately, only during use of mintstick  ;D [size=78%]) [/size]

and is therefore not so "dangerous" to use.

That's interesting information, Slim.Fatz. 

I thought we had found a way to remove all the various translations found within Unetbootin that may have been slowing it down.   So we've also broken mintstick down into down parts --that's pretty cool too.

Yes, I noticed that our image writer lack persistence, but I hardly ever use persistence these days, so I'm very happy with we have with Peppermint 6's USB Image Writer.  I can tell you've tried it!  It flies, doesn't it?  :)

As for our USB Stick Formatter, I can see that it only does quick formats --which I guess is all one needs, really.  Still, for that function, I frequently like to format my flash drives slowly, so for this I make use or our Disks utility.

Thank you very much for all of the interesting information.

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 06:43:47 am »
Oh come on, using dd puts spice into your life.  It's living on the edge  ;D.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 09:26:37 am »
They are all different

Unetbootin
Creates a fat32 partition on the USB stick and unpacks the ISO image into it, it then uses syslinux to boot it, and if selected it also creates a casper-rw file formatted correctly for persistence.
(creation of the partition, file system, and particularly the creation and formatting of the casper-rw persistence file all take time)

mintstick <USB Image Writer>
a script from Linux Mint (kindly released under a GPL) that uses udisks to discover USB sticks attached to the system, then dd (or possibly cat) to write an ISOHYBRID image directly to a USB stick as a sector by sector copy .. no partition creation, no file system creation, and no casper-rw persistence file creation and formatting.
This method is extremely fast, because basically you're just copying the CDROM filesystem from the ISO image directly to the USB stick .. that's it.
It requires that the ISO image is ISOHYBRID (most distros now release their ISO's isohybridised) .. it cannot do "persistence", and in copying a CDROM file system to a USB stick it renders the USB stick unusable as a normal USB stick .. which is why there's also the USB Stick Formatter.

RemasterSYS
This has nothing to do with writing ISO images to USB sticks .. what this was designed to do was take the system installed to your HDD (as a whole) and create an ISO image of it.
Example: - You install Peppermint, you add some applications, you change the wallpaper, then you use RemasterSYS to create an ISO image that you can give to other people .. they then use it to install Peppermint and it will already have the applications and the wallpaper you chose installed by default.

Leaving out RemasterSYS which isn't for creation LiveUSB sticks at all, as you can see Unetbootin and mintsticks USB Image Writer do two very different things, sure you end up with a LiveUSB by both methods but they both have their own pro's and con's

USB Image writer - pro's = Super quick, very compatible (will boot on nearly all systems) - cons = Requires the ISO mage to be isohybrid(ised) so aint gonna work with early distro ISO images unless you run isohybrid on them first, no persistence, renders the USB stick unwritable until formatted,

Unetbooting - pro's = Doesn't require the ISO to be isohybrid (not so important these days), CAN have persistence via a casper-rw file, can still be used as a normal USB stick to copy files to,can be read and written to in Windows - con's = S-L-O-W, not as compatible ie. some PC's just won't boot the USB stick.

If you want persistence, use Unetbootin or usb-creaator-gtk or LinuxLive USB Creator (LiLi) or PendriveLinux's Universal USB Installer

If you want speed, compatibility, and the security of no persistence (and the stick not being read/writable in Windows) use mintstick's USB Image Writer

Mintstick is great for creating Linux distro LiveUSB's for use as installation media .. rubbish if you need persistence .. but thr's nothing stopping you installing usb-creator-gtk or unetbootin too :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:13:48 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec