Choose style:

Author Topic: Ebuyer now featuring HP's Ubuntu Laptops  (Read 7496 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Ebuyer now featuring HP's Ubuntu Laptops
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2015, 02:01:16 am »
...Still, I could be missing something important here regarding the two browsers; I just don't know what it is.  :-\

Thank you both. 

perknh

If you ever want to stream Netflix natively, you need Google Chrome.  I gave up on the Chromium Browser about a year ago.  It was always giving me problems with Flash.  This is something I've never experienced with Google Chrome.  It's easy enough to tighten up the privacy on both browsers.  My only gripe with Google Chrome and for that matter, the Chromium Browser too, is the memory footprint.  It's like a sasquatch made it  :o.  As part of my installation process.  I always ditch the Chromium Browser in favour of Google Chrome.  It feels more like a finished product and it just works better for me  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2015, 03:35:39 am »
I noticed Chrome's moronic bookmark thing that was trying to be like Opera is back to how it was before.  It's nice to know they take user complaints seriously. (Mozilla and Microsoft could learn from that :P) I don't know who besides me complained about that, but there must have been plenty for them to revert it.

Of course, I only noticed this because I was backing up my bookmarks so that I could transfer them back to Firefox, which is what I'm running now.  Try as I might, I just don't like Chrome as well as Firefox.  Heck, I've been running Firefox since version 1.  Prior to that, I ran the original Mozilla browser.  I'm also trying an experiment to see how long I can go without Adobe Flash installed.  So far, only one site has complained about me not having it, and it's not something I frequent.  That's a far cry from a few years ago, when every other site you visited whined if you didn't have a flash plugin.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:41:31 am by scifidude79 »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2015, 03:56:47 am »
Me, I complained bitterly about it within minutes of seeing it.  I told 'em in no uncertain terms what I thought of that experiment.  Now it's back to the way it was, I'm a much happier camper  ;)!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2015, 08:09:32 am »
@ scifidude

are you SURE you don't have flashplayer installed ? .. I can't remember if we ever removed that from when Chromium used to require it ?
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep flash
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:11:05 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2015, 09:09:26 am »
If you ever want to stream Netflix natively, you need Google Chrome.  I gave up on the Chromium Browser about a year ago.  It was always giving me problems with Flash.  This is something I've never experienced with Google Chrome.  It's easy enough to tighten up the privacy on both browsers.  My only gripe with Google Chrome and for that matter, the Chromium Browser too, is the memory footprint.  It's like a sasquatch made it  :o.  As part of my installation process.  I always ditch the Chromium Browser in favour of Google Chrome.  It feels more like a finished product and it just works better for me  ;).

Hello, and thank you, AndyInMokum,

I did not know that about Netfix.  I did know that Flash can sometimes be a problem.  And, yes, there is a way to block some of those unnecessary Google cookies.  I will give this woman, the owner of this old HP computer, an explanation of both browsers --both the pluses and the minuses of using either browser.  That's the fair thing to do, since Peppermint is equipped to handle both. 

Knock on wood for me that this will work.  I believe this computer has some age on it.  I'm hoping Google will play nice.  I've seen what can happen when Google doesn't; hence, I'm always a little nervous working with Google on an old computer. 

In Chinese medicine some would say, if Google were a patient, that Google has a tendency towards Shen disturbances, or affective disorders.  :(

Thanks so much,

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2015, 09:22:32 am »
Hi perkhn, I always go into Settings > + Show advanced settings > System and uncheck/deselect the two boxes.  Everything then runs a lot smoother on older machines  ;).

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2015, 10:11:07 am »
Thanks AndyInMokum,

I'm taking it you don't think, that on an older computer, hardware acceleration would be available.

I have always been in the habit of keeping that box checked, but from what I'm gathering here, you think this is putting needless stress on the system of an older computer for little or no gain.

I had never thought about it that way before --of course, our computers here are only a few years old in this house --but not the one I'll be working on Tuesday.  This one will be a legacy computer, I'm sure!

Thanks of tip!  ;)

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2015, 10:36:52 am »
I find having it on, causes the graphic to go out of wack on older machines.  It causes tearing, ghost images and just general weirdness.  Turn it off and everything works fine and considerably quicker  ;).

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2015, 01:02:02 pm »
@ scifidude

are you SURE you don't have flashplayer installed ? .. I can't remember if we ever removed that from when Chromium used to require it ?
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep flash

Only the one in Chrome, which Firefox can't use.  As for the one that's installed by default, I removed that when I installed Chrome because it would be redundant.  Trust me, one site told me in no uncertain terms that I didn't have a flash plugin installed when I tried playing a video.  Oddly enough, YouTube played fine, though.  Maybe it uses a different protocol now.

But, I can run that command on the desktop later to be sure, I'm on my laptop right now because I'm down stairs watching racing in the family room.  And, since Firefox doesn't run well on this thing, (I don't know why) I'm running Chrome.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2015, 02:28:54 pm »
This is on my laptop:

I'm assuming, if there was a flash plugin installed, that command would have returned something.  So, no flash.  I'm running Firefox on here now too.  The race I'm watching had a rain delay, so I got a bit bored.  ;)  I removed and purged Chrome and deleted the folders from ~/.config for Chromium and Chrome.  So, no flash and no config files.  And, still no issues with websites and no flash.  Even YouTube videos play.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2015, 03:47:09 pm »
Yep you're right .. no flashplayer :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2015, 03:58:03 pm »
I did a little Googling and I found out why this is working.  A lot of sites anymore have switched to HTML5 instead of Flash, because Adobe doesn't develop the flash plugin for iPad and iPhone.  So, sites like YouTube have completely switched from flash to HTML5 to remain compatible with those devices.  So, I guess that one site I was on was just behind the times.  ;)

Though, in the interest of full disclosure, I do have an ad blocker enabled.  Without that, I may have more issues due to a lot of animated banner ads being flash driven.  Though, it's precisely because ads went from simple banners to animations and things that appear in your face that I use this, so it's not like I'm missing anything good.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2015, 09:36:36 am »
Concerning the images clearly showing the laptops running 14.04 yet tthe description stating 12.04 .. SK from Ebuyers Fekbook page says:-

Quote from: SK from Ebuyer via Facebook
Hi, the images are just for illustration purposes only. The description should be the correct details. SK

Googling seems to suggest he's right .. In which case you have to ask:-

Would it be acceptable to advertise PC's showing Windows 8 on the screen then selling them with Vista ? .. or unless there was a plain to see caveat that "Images are for illustration purposes only and may not reflect what's in the box" would it be considered false and misleading advertising ?

Or should the small 12.04 in the description legally be enough to override people natural predisposition to "trust their eyes". I guess it's not so important here and possibly a genuine misunderstanding/mistake, but a pet hate of mine is the recent drop in advertising standards and the obviously misleading info or even downright lies advertisers are being allowed to get away with these days.

Let me be clear here .. I am in NO WAY knocking Ebuyer here, I use them regularly and in my experience they are a great company to deal with .. I'm aware this is probably new territory for them and I've never seem them try to mislead in the past so this is AFAIK a one off and a genuine mistake where they're probaby taking the lead from elsewhere. .. this is just me bitching about modern advertising standards in a general sense and probably using a bad example .. it just happened to come up here.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:49:04 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 10:55:33 am »
It really makes no difference if it's an honest mistake or, a genuine effort to deceive.  False advertising is exactly what it says on the box - "False Advertising".  It's not the for the customer to accept it.  It is for the retailer to correct it.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2015, 12:50:34 pm »
I hate it when retailers have lousy pictures that don't match the product.  Usually, big companies aren't as bad about stuff like this, but you have to watch the smaller sellers on sites like Amazon.  Sometimes, they'll just grab some pics from Google Images or something, even if it doesn't exactly match their product, rather than take a picture of their actual product.  It's not only lazy, it's deceitful.  If you're selling a product, your images should match said product as they are a strong selling point.  If the laptop has Ubuntu 12.04 on it, put up images of it with 12.04 on the screen.  It can't be that hard.  All they do is take a standard product image for that laptop and put a screen shot onto the screen using photo editing software.  It can't be that hard to get a screen shot from 12.04.