Choose style:

Author Topic: Macs and Linux  (Read 2789 times)

Offline rmcellig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Macs and Linux
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:13:42 am »
I have been a longtime Mac user since 1988 who has since the past few years discovered linux and love it. I'm chatting with an old friend of mine about Linux. He argues that the Mac is better when it comes to interoperability. I'm stuck as to what to say regarding this comment.

Try being on the road, entering a calendar event for your wife, and a day later she goes to the calendar sees it and goes for an appointment. Enter a reminder note on your iPad and one on your iMac and they are both accessible from your iPhone.that interoperability is what the Mac offers that Linux does not.

I use Google Calendar but I don't think that is what he is taking about. If I install a Linux distro and use that with my Android device would I achieve the same kind of thing my friend mentions above?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Macs and Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 12:42:05 pm »
It's possible, if you use something like Evernote.  However, I don't know how well that works because I've never had any reason to even try a feature like that.  I still put pen to paper and write notes the old fashioned way.   :P

One thing that helps Apple do stuff like that is their total control manufacturing.  They make the hardware, they build the OS, they put it all together.  Since it's all done on their watch, they can implement features that work so well together.  This is as opposed to the whole Desktop Linux and Android thing.  Everybody knows that Desktop Linux varies by who develops it as far as what features are included and what is even available in the package repositories.  Then Android is developed behind closed doors at Google, so nobody can really get hold of it and do much like this.  Heck, what all you get as far as Android on your device can even vary.  Most companies do their own custom mod to the OS before they install it.  So, it's hard to say how well a feature like that would work with so much work on the parts involved being done by different people with different goals in different places.

There is some Android stuff in the Ubuntu repositories, but I think that has more to do with emulation.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 01:09:17 pm »
There may be situations here Macs integrate with iPads better than Linux/Android .. but the example he gives sucks ;)

All this stuff is done online these days as you suggest via sommat like Google Calendar
https://support.google.com/a/answer/1626902?hl=en
or in a shared Google Drive

Groups can collaborate on docs online (with versioning) again via Google Drive
http://www.gcflearnfree.org/googledriveanddocs/6

Nor does it have to be Google .. Microsoft also do online collaboration tools

It's even done online where corporations are concerned now .. moving in house collaboration onto the web allows people who're NOT on the corporate network to collaborate too (not limited to having to be in the building, or via VPN).

And if it's "online" Peppermint excels at it .. what  with SSB's and easy integration into the menus of web apps.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:12:25 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rmcellig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:46:17 pm »
PCNetSpec,

That's exactly what I am thinking as well. Most of the stuff I do now with calendars and my radio show playlists is all done online, so like you mention, there are options like that that are available. My main reason for using Linux is because I can find a distro that gets out of my way and lets me do what I need to do. I love minimalist distros that work well with no bloat. Openbox is an example I used in another post. Something that is simple to maintain and use is what I am always looking for. When you come across a distro like Peppermint, it strikes a nice balance.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »
I'm not a big Mac fan .. prefer a quarter pounder with cheese myself (ouch) :-[
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:29:58 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 09:44:26 pm »
Google Keep now has reminders, so the combo of Google Keep and Google Calendar would do the example of calendar entry and reminder note as well as Apple.  The caveat of course is that on the Linux Desktop you would have to allow Chrome to run in the background (and have it running). 

I actually find the combo much better and more versatile, but that is a matte of opinion of course.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 01:05:33 am »
(snip)
The caveat of course is that on the Linux Desktop you would have to allow Chrome to run in the background (and have it running). 
(snip)
Hi everyone,

I imagine that on the Apple devices there are all sorts of things that must be running in the background as well in order for them to have these features. I don't think that most Apple users have much knowledge about such things and just think that Apple has some sort of super magical power that only Apple-buyers have access to. :o :D

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 04:23:49 am »
I am a fan of Apple's hardware more so than the software.

I treated myself to a MacBook Air last year when working in the US and there was a flash sale at BestBuy (worked out MUCH cheaper than the UK). Great battery life, very responsive, good screen and audio, and enjoyable to use. To be fair there probably are Windows laptops/ultrabooks that can do this also (and which are cheaper!)

But the Mac OS itself I'm less into. It's quite locked down (which is kind of the point as you get a flawless experience in their view, as less user error). I've never owned an Apple computer until this one so for me the learning curve is steep-ish, but I only really use for surfing, media, Skype, etc.

I don't really like Apple's "proprietary-everything" model either. I like the spirit of OpenSource and how Linux keeps old computers going. Feels like a more democratic, egalitarian system. I know a lot of people with Apple devices who only use them for 10% basic computing needs but they like the name/brand and perceived status that comes with owning the latest devices (esp iPhone) because they are premium. But there is also something nice about owning and using very high quality, polished, precision engineered things - which Apple stuff generally is - especially if you're a gadgety kind of person. I guess cars are the same.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 09:58:38 am »
Personally I don't see Apple hardware as being anything special either .. Macs now are just x86 PC's like any other, components made by the same people as any other PC . case made by Apple (or was that some chinese kid) ::)

It's really been some time since Apple made the internal hardware.

Their cases are shiny (but there are better high end PC's) .. you're really paying for the badge

Total rip of in my opinion .. but yeah, there's the "perceived" status thing .. I'm just not sure that's what we should be teaching our kids ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:00:22 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 12:00:30 pm »
Personally I don't see Apple hardware as being anything special either .. Macs now are just x86 PC's like any other, components made by the same people as any other PC . case made by Apple (or was that some chinese kid) ::)

It's really been some time since Apple made the internal hardware.

Their cases are shiny (but there are better high end PC's) .. you're really paying for the badge

Total rip of in my opinion .. but yeah, there's the "perceived" status thing .. I'm just not sure that's what we should be teaching our kids ;)

Apple isn't anything special.  In fact, Apple hasn't invented anything in ages.  (not since the Woz days, when they were nearly bankrupt)  They use either hardware off the shelf or stuff that's created for them by other companies that you can still get without buying anything Apple.  The thing that made Apple "special" was Steve Jobs.  He knew how go up on stage with that spot light on him and make that iWhatever look like the best thing since sliced bread.  And, he was so good at it that people bought it.  That's one of the main reasons people have feared for that company's future since his death.  He was the charismatic one who could make an ordinary phone seem extraordinary.  I guess they have someone still doing that now.  His hand picked successor, or whatever.