Choose style:

Author Topic: A Simple LAN/WLAN File Transfer Application  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
A Simple LAN/WLAN File Transfer Application
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:26:05 pm »

Introduction

(Note: Updated on 2018.01.07 for Peppermint 8-Respin)

Do you have a couple of computers at home that are on your own LAN or WLAN and run Linux and maybe OS X or even something primitive and dangerously vulnerable such as M$ Windblows? Would you like to be able to send files or complete folders from one computer to another? Are you (like me) not up to configuring a complex program like Samba to accomplish this?  :'(

Well NitroShare  (free and Open Source under the MIT License) is about the easiest (probably THE easiest) program to set up and use on your Linux, OS X and Windblows boxes and solve this dilemma.  8)

I admit that NitroShare does not do everything that more complex solutions permit you to do, but what it does, it does without any configuration or geeky magic required! If you wish, there is some configuration possible. NitroShare is very lightweight and does not slow down your machine in any way (making it a nice fit to Peppermint 5, 6, Seven, 8 and 8-Respin) and allows you to send files and complete folders quickly and easily from your box to any of the other boxes that are on your LAN/WLAN (provided that they are currently running and also have NitroShare running; more about that later).

How to get NitroShare, install it and use it

The easiest way to get NitroShare, to stay informed when newer versions become available and to get the latest version (which is, as I write this, not yet in our repository) is to go to the NitroShare homepage. Near the bottom of the page they list the commands for installing the PPA for Debian and Ubuntu (this works with Peppermint 8, 8-Respin, Seven or 6, and should also work with Peppermint 5 although I have not confirmed this for Peppermint 5). Perform all of the three steps listed in a terminal, namely:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:george-edison55/nitroshare
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nitroshare
For OS X and M$ Windblows installations you will find packages as well, but I will not discuss them further since I have no OS X or M$ products (sorry, Uncle Bill, but my money goes as donations to support the much safer and better Linux and Linux-friendly products).  ;)

Do this installation on every box and OS installation that is on your LAN/WLAN and that you wish to send files to, or to receive files from!!  ;)

Having performed these steps, NitroShare has been installed and you just need to start it. In Peppermint you will find NitroShare in the Peppermint main menu of the panel in the category named Internet. When you start it the first time you get an Intro Screen. After clicking on the Close button, you will see that NitroShare has placed an icon in your system tray of the panel (this indicates that NitroShare is running and ready for use). For the box you are working with, you are now finished. Couldn't be easier!  8)

Start NitroShare on any other boxes in your LAN/WLAN. All that are currently running NitroShare are then ready to send files/folders to each other!

A right-click on the NitroShare icon in the system tray shows several entries in its pop-up menu (if you cannot see any of the following images very well, click on them for enlarged versions):

Figure 1: NitroShare pop-up menu

Selecting the entry Settings gives you this window (the newest version of NitroShare also has a tab named Security which, unless you are certain you know what you are doing, should not be changed):

Figure 2: NitroShare settings

The tab named General shows the network name of the host computer (Device name:), which should be OK and not need changing, while the entry named Directory: indicates where files or folders that you receive from any other computer can be found. If you do not like the default folder, then by clicking on the button to the right (which is named: (...), a strange name indeed) you can select any other location that you might prefer.

The tab named Advanced contains a warning and normally does not require any adjustments. For experts it might be of use; for normal mortals: leave the default settings on the Advanced tab as they are.

Any newly started instances of NitroShare on other boxes in your LAN/WLAN will be announced by a little pop-up notification window above the NitroShare icon in the panel's system tray. The same for any of the previously running instances that have been stopped on other machines. For example:

Figure 3: The computer msi is ready for transfers

From the box you are currently using you can now send files or complete folders to other boxes on the LAN/WLAN that are up and running NitroShare. To do this open NitroShare's pop-up menu (as in Figure 1) and click, for example, on the entry Send Files... to get a selection window that you can use to navigate to (and select) the files to send. Once you have selected a file or files to send you will be presented with a window that allows you to specify which machine is to be the recipient of your transmission:

Figure 4: Select computer (device) to send to

Click on the computer in the window's list that is to be the recipient of your transmission. When you then click on the OK button the transmission starts.

During transmission you see the following window, showing the progress of the action:

Figure 5: Transmission progress window

NOTE: on my network the transfers of files less than about 1 MB large is so fast that I was only able to show a progress window that was 100% completed! To get the window shown above with only 15% of the transmission complete I transmitted a complete folder with 9 MP3 files for a total transmission of approx. 48 MB.

Finally you also see a pop-up indication of the result as well:

Figure 6: Pop-up showing transmission success or failure

The files or folders are only copied to the other box, not moved.

So that is the end of this tutorial for network wimps (like me) who want something simple and easy to use for transferring files and folders to other machines on a home LAN/WLAN. I hope that it is of use to you. I would enjoy any comments from readers. If you encounter problems or have any questions, just reply back here in the forum.

Regards,

-- Slim  8)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:12:05 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
Re: A Simple LAN/WLAN File Transfer Application
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:54:30 pm »
Thanks Slim.  Just what I needed.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 12:57:07 pm »
Yet another nice tutorial there Slim :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:07:25 pm »
Thank you jlschwartz and PCNetSpec.

You didn't waste any time jumping on this one, jlschwartz!  ;D

For those of you who really like NitroShare and wish to always have it started when you log into Peppermint 6 do this:

Go to /usr/share/applications and copy the NitroShare entry to ~/.config/autostart/ and you will have NitroShare up and running at login.

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:13:43 pm by Slim.Fatz »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 04:17:36 pm »
Indeed!  Another beautiful tute from Slim!!!

When I have a large amount to data to transfer across my LAN, I simply install a FTP server on the host machine.

I'm going to check this out.  Thx!  ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:25:39 pm »
With a NAS this stuff becomes irrelevant  .. and once you've had a NAS there's no going back ;)

and you just know I'm the type that smashes my head repeatedly against the wall until I've beaten cifs shares into submission don't you ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:30:03 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 05:19:09 pm »
[...] and you just know I'm the type that smashes my head repeatedly against the wall until I've beaten cifs shares into submission don't you

LoL!  Yeah.

We just want to meet the woman that puts up with it...  ;D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 06:09:28 pm »
LOL .. OK, tea meets screen and keyboard again  :o

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 02:22:43 am »
Hello everyone,

I have updated the original post in this thread to reflect updates to NitroShare, the PPA to use and several other items as well.  ;)

I hope that this tutorial is something that you can easily follow and use.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 05:29:18 am »
Dukto R6 is another option
http://www.msec.it/blog/?page_id=11
(you can get the Windows / OS X installers at the above link)

And instructions for adding the repos and downloading the Ubuntu 16.04 version here:
https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home:colomboem&package=dukto

Or direct download here:-

64bit Peppermint 7
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/colomboem/xUbuntu_16.04/amd64/dukto_6.0-1_amd64.deb

32bit Peppermint 7
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/colomboem/xUbuntu_16.04/i386/dukto_6.0-1_i386.deb

Dukto R6 also has unofficial ports for Android / iOS / Blackberry

You can read more about it here:
http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/dukto-lan-file-transfer-tool-is-easy-to.html
but DO NOT use the download links in that article for Peppermint 7 .. they are the version for 12.04
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:33:02 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Admiral_Smith

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 03:40:17 pm »
If you think you can do it.  You can also use the app 'netcat' to transfer files over a network.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 10:17:58 am »
Hi everyone,

I know that this thread is rather old, but NitroShare is still good and simple to use -- and I have now installed it and have it running on my Peppermint 8-Respin installations. The first post in this thread has been updated to reflect this.

Enjoy,

-- Slim  8)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 07:08:17 pm »
Cheers Slim :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec