Choose style:

Author Topic: Ebuyer now featuring HP's Ubuntu Laptops  (Read 7226 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Ebuyer now featuring HP's Ubuntu Laptops
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 02:45:38 pm »
Might the bowels of cyberspace one day be full of indispensable Linux distributions?

Once upon a time people would have said that about Mandrake/Mandriva ;) .. they were considered one of the heavyweights a while back (with spinoff/forked distros such as PCLinuxOS), now nobody bats an eyelid as they quietly die  :-X

Sh*t happens .. the Linux world adapts :)

If Ubuntu died, sure for a short while there'd be a vacuum .. but we all know what nature thinks of those ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:57:18 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 03:01:52 pm »
I use Chrome for the up to date flash plugin.  I'm at heart still a Firefox user.  But, these things happen.  Since Adobe is a *word deleted for the good of the community*, and won't release ANYTHING for Linux anymore, we're left with either an incredibly old flash plugin or running Chrome.  So, I run Chrome.  Though, if more sites would stop using flash and just let that horribly outdated technology die, we'd be better off.

Mandrake, or by then Mandriva, was my second choice after Ubuntu when I started using Linux.  However, they were having issues even then, so I didn't use it very long.  I think one thing that helped the community cope with the "death" of Mandriva is that it was a long, slow death.  At the end, it seemed more like a mercy that it finally died.  Besides, the project's spirit lives on in PCLinuxOS and Mageia.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:04:09 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 03:11:29 pm »
+1 what scifidude79 says.

Except I'm still a Firefox user .. and flash still works equally well in Firefox (DRM aside)

If I understand things properly, Google licence flashplayer for redistribution from Adobe and have an agreement to modify it as long as they include the adobe licence and EULA in the Chrome one, they then turn it into a sandboxed PPAPI plugin for Chrome and rename it Pepperflash .. but under the skin it's still adobe's fllashplayer.

Adobe aren't doing ANY new version of flashplayer for Linux .. but they're still security patching version 11 which is why it gets updated in the repos every now and again.
So how I understand it is Chrome is still using version 11 too .. even though it appears to get incrementally reversioned by their naming scheme, but that's all it is, a name.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:17:09 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2015, 03:16:36 pm »
Well, maybe I will just go back to Firefox then.  I love Firefox.  I hated it during the FUBAR days (4-5) but I came back to it after that fiasco.

Adobe is on my **** list with a vengeance.  They used to release stuff for Linux, but stopped for no apparent reason.  They don't even offer .deb or .rpm downloads of their crappy .pdf reader anymore.  Oh well, I like Evince better anyway, no fluff.  Plus, they don't even offer regular versions of their stupid graphics software anymore, you have to buy a subscription to it.  (not that I used their stuff anyway, I just hate stuff like that)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:19:15 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2015, 03:20:34 pm »
Quote from: scifidude79
Adobe is on my **** list with a vengeance

Like I said .. what scifidude79 said :)

BTW, Master PDF Editor is MUCH quicker for PDF reading than evince, and can edit them too .. I'd have included it in Peppermint 6 except it's close source (but free) ;)
http://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor.php

As I said, closed source so a bit of a leap of faith .. that said, it's quite well known and  I've never heard of any problems, and I've monitored the apps (and PC's') behaviour and spotted nothing weird.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:25:02 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2015, 03:20:53 pm »
If Ubuntu died, sure for a short while there'd be a vacuum .. but we all know what nature thinks of those

I bet we'd move over to Fedora is that ever happened --heaven forbid!
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2015, 03:27:38 pm »
Yep, I made a phone call, and you're right .. heaven forbids.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2015, 03:33:35 pm »
Yep, I made a phone call, and you're right .. heaven forbids.

With connections like that, let it be known:   We're all glad you're on our side, PCNetSpec!  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:38:37 pm by perknh »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2015, 03:35:55 pm »
Quote from: scifidude79
Adobe is on my **** list with a vengeance

Like I said .. what scifidude79 said :)

BTW, Master PDF Editor is MUCH quicker for PDF reading than evince, and can edit them too .. I'd have included it in Peppermint 6 except it's close source (but free) ;)
http://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor.php

As I said, closed source so a bit of a leap of faith .. that said, it's quite well known and  I've never heard of any problems, and I've monitored the apps (and PC's') behaviour and spotted nothing weird.

Sweet, I'll check it out.  Thanks.  I like Evince, but my one comic collection that I have on DVD-Rom really hangs on it.  Sometimes, I have to wait a few seconds for a page to load, which really sucks.  I was using Foxit in Windows, but their Linux version is incredibly old.  (another company that obviously stopped releasing for Linux)  Closed source software doesn't bother me, as long as it works.  ;)

EDIT:  And it doesn't work.  My comic collection uses .pdf files linked together on the disc to open the various comics, but Master PDF Editor does't appear to be capable of opening links within .pdf files unless they're web links.  :(

I wish Okular didn't come with so many dependencies.  You practically have to install the entire KDE desktop to use it.  It handles my comic collection beautifully.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:45:46 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2015, 03:45:05 pm »
I'm not sure Ubuntu is the smart choice here[...] people didn't like Win8 because of its UI so why offer a replacement that also has a weird UI[...]

IMO, the biggest mistake in winders 8 was -- Microsoft mixed the weird 'metro' UI with the standard UI, e.g. it wasn't an either/or proposition - user selectable @ login.   That decision made winders 8 'totally weird'.

Unity is just kinda weird, and getting less weird, as time goes on.

One of the nicest things about Ubuntu et. al. is they don't mix n' match UIs - that's what we do.  And, we do it right!   :D

As you know, I like breakage.  Ubuntu dev branches are GREAT for this weird fetish - and, it gives me a chance to see which direction the Canonical devs are taking their OS.  So, there is an ancillary benefit to be had, for the taking, other than just satisfying masochistic tendencies.

Personally, I don't like or dislike the Unity UI.  I'm neutral to it, but find it LESS irritating than winders 7, and infinitely preferable to winders 8.  So, to that means, I'm not so sure it wasn't the right UI choice for weening dissatisfied winders 8 client/users off of their dependency.

That said, I run the Gnome-Shell UI when testing Ubuntu, preferably GS Staging (when it's available).  To my way of thinking, the GS3 UI (in comparison to Unity) is the functional equivalent of Peppermint (vs. Lubuntu/Mint), i.e. a lighter, stripped-down version of Unity, e.g. GS doesn't get in your way, in the same way(s) Unity does.

Anyway, just thinking out loud, for the sake of discussion...   8)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:10:33 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2015, 04:14:16 pm »
I used GS for some considerable time (in an "it's better than Unity" fashion) and even sang its virtues by comparison .. but eventually (once the novelty wore off) I had to come to the conclusion that these so called "task oriented UI's" just continually get in the way of doing what I want to do.

2 or 3 clicks became 10 and some typing and searching, and going through results...

Simply put I think the UI layout reached it's pinnacle with what's commonly known as the win95 --> Win7 object oriented layout. Sure Unity and GS have some nice new features, but IMHO they'd have been better applied to the oldschool layout.

Just an opinion though, no more valid than anyone else's .. Aww who am I kiddin, I'm right Unity/GS fans are wrong :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:19:48 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2015, 04:39:36 pm »
Just an opinion though, no more valid than anyone else's .. Aww who am I kiddin, I'm right Unity/GS fans are wrong :)

And your thoughts on Xfce, or Xubuntu itself?  Xfce is the default DE for a lot of Linux distributions --and it's not Unity or GNOME!

Thinking about it, I've don't recall you ever saying much about Xfce one way or another. :-\
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:59:43 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2015, 05:13:53 pm »
To tell the truth perknh I've never given Xfce a thorough enough testing over an extended period so it'd be wrong for me to comment one way or the other

I've played with it, but I always end up back at LXDE .. they're similar in layout (which is good), it has some components I like (obviously .. we borrow some) and some I don't, but I've never really dug into the way it all comes together as a whole or how modular it is (or not) and whether it can easily be bent to my will

IIRC I was initially put off by their panel and thunar .. but I never stuck around long enough to figure out how easily these could be modified/replaced so it'd be wrong if I said they were a "problem" as such.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2015, 08:46:36 pm »
in this particular case, which would be the better way for me to go --Chromium or Chrome.

In nearly every case CHROME :)

We only use Chromium out of the box for licensing reasons

just be sure to download the .deb package directly from the Google website.
https://www.google.com/chrome/#eula

be sure to get the .deb version for your achitecture .. then double-click the downoadeed fle to install.

it will then be kept up to date automagically

Really, wow!  Will do!  ;)

After you've installed Google Chrome.  I highly recommend this little tip for transferring the existing default Chromium Browser SSBs over to Google Chrome.  It will save a whole bunch of confusion in the future.  Checkout PCNetSpec's instructions: Peppermint 5 - Changing ALL your SSB's to open in Chrome instead of Chromium.  Good luck and keep spreading the word  ;)!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:43:18 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2015, 01:30:44 am »
Thank you AndyInMokum and PCNetSpec,

Now I did download Chrome because it has been quite a while for me since I've used Chrome.  I did notice that for more than one user Chromium works better than Chrome.  I say this because Chromium places an icon in the top left corner of the browser, where Chrome puts one name in the top right corner.  This sounds like nothing, I know, but it's tough to change the name you have in Chrome if is it's not the name you go by in your house.  You have to go by Chrome's default name for you, then add another person, then delete yourself, then add yourself back through the other person account to put the nickname you use in your house.  It's a bit of pain.  Also, in Chrome, in Show advance settings > Content settings..., well, there's more Google stuff residing there than in Chromium, and I figure it's probably nosy, unnecessary stuff if it's Chrome!  ::)

But, on the plus side for Google Chrome, the browser is a smidgen ahead, numerically, of Chromium browser.  And as for Flash, I suspect Chrome's Flash is better than Chromium's, but I'm not certain if this is really so.  Also, for one user, the icon representing a person doesn't exist --so the above icon stuff doesn't really matter.  You need to have at least two people to start seeing the icons in the top left corner--but the pictures can be fun and cool.  :)

What really is the significant difference between Chromium and Chrome?  If you disregard the above mentioned differences of the two browsers that I have noticed, what extra bang for the buck does Chrome have over Chromium?  I always used to download Chrome because Chrome used to work better than Chromium , but I'm not noticing much of difference these days in regards to performance.  In fact, Chrome took a long time booting up for me today --probably because it was shocked that I had installed it!  :o  Still, I could be missing something important here regarding the two browsers; I just don't know what it is.  :-\

Thank you both. 

perknh